Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Has anyone had this side effect from ADs?  (Read 4432 times)

Tabbycat

Has anyone had this side effect from ADs?
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »

I'm now on my third type of AD because both Citalopram and Sertraline gave me a tight, wheezy chest and a dry cough.

Apparently it's rare but it does happen (trust me to be special ::)) so I'm wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem - and if so, what was the solution?

It's really frustrating because every time I'm prescribed a new drug I have to start on the lowest dose - which never has any effect - and wait a month before it's increased. It's like going back to square one every time

I've just been to my GP and she's prescribed Paroxetine. I'm so hoping this is going to be the perfect one!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Has anyone had this side effect from ADs?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »

Nope.  Nausea - tick: light headedness - tick: weird feelings all over - tick.  Wheezyness - nope.  However, if I 'carried water' or felt bloated each month, I would become wheezy.  Was there evidence of slight bloatedness?

Maybe one of the older types of AD would suit better, or if this is for anxiety, short-term use Valium or similar?

dazned

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »

I had to try three or four different ones before I found one to suit,including one that I had years ago and was fine on then this time round couldn't tolerate it all ! Just shows how our systems/body changes through the years.  :-\

Tabbycat

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »

It is for anxiety but I think valium would affect my ability to drive and work. I'm zombied enough as it is!

Dazned, you're right. I took Prozac about 15 years ago and was fine (until it made me hyper and weird!) but when I tried it again about six or seven years ago, I couldn't stop itching. :o

annieb

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »

I didn't have same symptoms as you after using Sertraline but did have others !! Felt sick, tired and after 4 days couldn't actually focus my eyes properly. Had similar reaction to  Seroxat (Paroxetine ) which is a similar type of SSRI - 20 odd years ago. I had been on Dothiepan which is a different type of AD but a new GP at the time thought I should be taking  Seroxat and changed my prescription - I still haven't forgiven him  >:.I actually passed out and had to stop taking it as I felt so ill ( again after 4 days).  I know you are supposed to persevere but there was no chance of that as I have to work.
This time my current GP prescribed Sertaline as she said it was much improved from 20 years ago and foolishly I believed her.  I went back and told her the reaction I had and at my request she changed the prescription to  Prothiaden (dosulepin) which is similar to the Dothiepan I'd originally be given (again years ago) .
Current GP was initially reluctant to prescribe Prothiaden- not sure why - but I have got on very well with Prothiaden. A bit sleepy to begin with but that passed and am now felling very good and coping with things . I think it works in a different way to Sertaline so maybe suits me more than others. Might be worth a chat with your GP to see if this is an option for you
I do hope you can get some something that suits you xx
Big no from me to Valium - was given that when I was 18 and was floating on a cloud for about 2 weeks before my Mum realised something was odd about me. Took ages to get over it out of my system. It's odd isn't it that some drugs suit some of us and others are just not right

Tabbycat

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 06:09:31 PM »

Thanks annieb, that's really interesting. Looks like I've got a way to go yet.

I've just been reading up on Paroxetine and you're not supposed to take it if you have a movement disorder - which I have, although it's not been officially diagnosed yet. Things could get a bit interesting.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »

Your GP ought to know that!

Tabbycat

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »

You'd think. ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 06:41:41 PM »

The next plan is?

Tabbycat

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »

I'll see how I get on with it - I'm on a low dose for a month. I'm seeing the neurologist in a couple of weeks (oh, joy) so I'll ask him about it then.

I'm SO fed up. I was thinking this morning that there's almost no part of me that doesn't hurt, ache, not work properly or give me grief in some way. Apart from my left foot. (sounds catchy that, maybe I'll make a film about it).

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »

I never did find an AD that I could tolerate and I tried loads over the peri years - fluoxetine sertraline citalopram dosulepin, duloxetine, amitriptilene.  Never did settle on any of them my system just couldn't cope.

Tabbycat

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »

Babyjane, did you get the same side effects from all of them, or did it vary depending on the drug?

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »

'My Left Food' sounds about right  ;)

Let us know how you go on!

Smokey

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 12:23:28 PM »

I Ve taken Nortriptyline and got dry mouth and tinnitus when reducing dose.
Annx