Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Change of direction- which way is up ? !  (Read 6781 times)

Bluebell59

Change of direction- which way is up ? !
« on: August 17, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »

Hi everyone,
In May this year I had a blood test to find out my hormonal levels, I was told the normal levels for someone who isn't going through the meno is around 20 and I'm 30 plus !  Yikes !!. I am 56 years young. I wasn't offered any hrt at the time but now I am having night sweats, am emotional and exhausted, have palpitations for which I have beta-blockers.  I don't have periods anymore as I had a hysterectomy in 1991 due to cervical cancer.  I have to ring the surgery this fri to get an app with the only doc who is any good at the surgery, may have to wait a cpl of weeks but I'd rather see someone who knows what they are talking about.

The doc I saw in May told me to eat/drink soya as it is similar to hormones etc but this I have since learnt that soya interferes with thyroid meds.  I have an underactive thyroid which has now settled so it's not this which is giving me problems.

What can I do about these night sweats until I see the doc?
Thanks for any advice  :) :o

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:09:43 PM by Bluebell59 »

honeybun

Re: Change of direction- which way is up ? !
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »

Some women find sage drops help or perhaps red clover but you would have to research if you could take them with your current medication.

One thing you do have in your favour is if you do decide to go down the HRT route you don't need progesterone which some find troublesome.

I would suggest...if that is the way you want to go....gel or patches.. Easy to tweak gel to get the amount that controls your symptoms.

Let us know how you get on.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »

:welcomemm:  have a browse of the pull-down menus, top of screen …… make notes.  Let us know how you get on!

Bluebell59

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »

One thing you do have in your favour is if you do decide to go down the HRT route you don't need progesterone which some find troublesome.

Honeybun
X
Honeybun, I still have my ovaries, does this affect the need or lack of need for progesterone?
Whatever treatment of HRT I have it will be cream or gel as you say, much easier to control the amount I have.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:26:12 AM »

If you don't have a womb then there is no need for progesterone.

Hope this helps.

Honeyb
x

Bluebell59

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »

Thanks honeybun and CLKD, this forum is fantastic.  Real people who know how I am feeling  :)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:48 AM »

Hi Bluebell59

Taz x  :welcomemm:

SadLynda

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:20:46 PM »

Hello and Welcome Bluebell  :)

Bluebell59

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »

I've been reading all about all of you and your success with Vagifem.  I'm getting impatient now to see the doc but the ONLY doc worth seeing isn't free until the second week in Sept.  Going to call myself Miss impatient.  I know it's not far off but seems it to me !  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 05:27:10 PM »

Hi Bluebell59

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms and also that you've been given beta-blockers for what may well be hormonally induced palpitations! From what I've read this seems to happen a lot!

In your position and especially as you've had a hysterectomy I would definitely consider oestrogen replacement (as well as Vagifem) which should cure the sweats, palpitations, exhaustion and a host of other symptoms - and you are lucky that you will not need progestogen as this is the bit of HRT which usually causes problems for some women.

In the meantime - re the sweats - it's so long since I had them ( I've been on HRT for over 8 years) - but I remember how debilitating they were and the lack of sleep was wearing. I am sure others have ideas but someone suggested a fan at night as well as nightwear of certain material but can't remember what exactly (or nothing!).

In the meantime read up as much as you can about it all...

Hurdity x

Bluebell59

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »

Big/huge/enormous thanks to all of you !   :thankyou:

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »

Bluebell, hello and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Hurdity about a fan if you can sleep with the low droning noise it makes.  But another excellent and instant help for flushes and/or sweats day and night I found was Magicool spray which could help you feel more comfortable until you can get to see the GP of your choice in a couple of weeks. You can get it at the major supermarkets, Boots, Superdrug and also on Amazon and ebay.

Hope that helps a bit.  Enjoy looking round the pages  :)

Bluebell59

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »

I've got a space with the doc this afternoon.  I've spent all morning feeling dizzy, palpitations and being emotional - can't stop crying , it just bursts/ erupts out of me.  Am sat crying typing this.  If there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'm either coming back as a male or not at all!  :'(

My husband is coming with me coz we want answers !
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:53:33 PM by Bluebell59 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »

Take a list?

Bluebell59

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »

I did CLKD, I've been prescribed not HRT but Sertaline !  which is also used for premenstrual and menopause symptoms. I was told they don't prescribe HRT like they used to as symptoms usually come back when having stopped them.  I get lots of palpitations and I have ectopic heartbeats too.  She wants me to go for gentle walks in the morning.  I've to see her in a month.  OK I'll try them for a month and see, I don't know until I try.  I've also a lot going on with my underactive thyroid and I think she wants to avoid too many hormones at this stage.  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3