Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Scared to death  (Read 3829 times)

jgr

Scared to death
« on: August 17, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »

Morning everyone, just had an experience which has left me a bit shaken.
Got up at 6.30 this morning and was ok when i came down stairs, a funny feeling came over me like i was about to be sick and my throat had an odd sensation in it, heart was a bit fast so i sat down to try and let it pass, it stayed with me for around 10 mins so i decided to go and get OH up as i was getting a bit worried. As i walked up the stairs a feeling came over me like i couldn't breath and that i was about to collapse, i really thought my time was up. Sat on bed and it eased off a little and breathing seemed better. Returned down stairs and took my blood pressure which was up at 152/98. It has eased off quite considerably but has left me with a bit of a funny head, like a headache is about to start. I am on evoril conti patch and have been for around 3 years only having a few blips as i call then now and again, i feel i am experiencing more odd sensations now and this today has been one of the worse. Any advice would be gratefully received.

dazned

Re: Scared to death
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »

Start a daily diary making notes of your experiences throughout the day. I was on my first hrt for 5 years then my old symptoms and New ones started to creep back so I knew it had stopped working for me. With the diary you be able to see if a pattern emerges. Hope this settles down soon.

jgr

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »

Thanks for your reply dazned,
this is what i have been thinking, has my hrt stopped doing it's job so will definitely keep a diary. will ask GP to refer me again to the clinic and see what my options are. Just when you think you are over the worse!!!!!!!!

ellie

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:40:57 AM »

Jar, my advice would be to go and get checked out at the doctors,it's all too easy to blame menapause and the treatment for it.....and that is the likely cause......but best to ask a doctor, for you peace of mind.

jgr

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »

Hi Ellie. just back from the Dr's and he didn't seem to be bothered at all by what i was saying, sometimes get the impression they think you are a bit of a hypocondriac (sorry about spelling). I did ask him to refer me back to the meno clinic, might get a bit more sense out of them.

ellie

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:41:35 AM »

Good that you have been and got doc to check you.....have to say that my Doctor is just the same, I get the impression that his mind is elsewhere  >:(........Hope you get better response at the meno clinic....I am sure you will be fine  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »

Did you get out of bed suddenly?  Maybe sit up over the edge before standing?  Have a biscuit beside the bed too …...

SadLynda

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »

Another great GP then >:(

Hope you are feeling better now x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »

Hi jgr

I agree with dazned about the diary - but I would also check your blood pressure regularly too. Did it normalise? I know you are supposed to take 3 readings whenever you take it (well my husband had to do this when he had one high reading).

Yes good to get checked by the doc. Have you suffered from high blood pressure in the past and are you taking other tablets?

Hope you feel better generally  :)

Hurdity x

jgr

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »

No CLKD , just got up as normal and it came on about 5/10 mins after rising. Funny thing is that this afternoon i am absolutely shattered feel very weak and tearful and have already shouted at my 6 year old granddaughter as my patients are wearing thin. Feel bad and now that the holiday is two weeks away i am scared something will happen when away. I have coped so well on the hrt but the blips seem to becoming more frequent. At 57 i thought i might just be getting nearer the end of this meno business, no such luck.

jgr

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »

Don't suffer from high bp hurdity although anytime i have a funny do it seems to rise which i would expect it to with adrenelin surges. I am currently getting it checked out and under cardio dept at hospital, in fact i am having a monitor fitted tomorrow to see if the funny beats i get from time to time are anything to worry about.
Been checked before at the cardio dept and also had echocardiograph which all came back normal, so will see if it shows anything this time.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »

jgr - re your age - unfortunately post-menopause is for ever! However once you are 2-3 years post-menopause at least your hormones are no longer fluctuating so the associated turmoil and tumultuous time is over as our hormone levels stabilise but at a low level! We just have to find ways and treatments of keeping ourselves in the best possible health (physically and mentally) as we age and without so much oestrogen! Some health conditions continue to deteriorate in the absence of oestrogen eg vaginal atrophy and bladder problems, and some women become prone to ostereoporosis and heart problems. Maybe a different HRT at this point would suit you - although I can see if you've been happy on it for 3 years you don't want to go through a period of re-adjustment again if you try a new type.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »

If you take your BP do it in the morning before you eat.  At the same time if possible.

sammy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 03:25:20 AM »

This does sound familiar!  I had this - very frightening!  Racing heart, blood pressure going up, panic feelings.  The symptoms made me even more scared and I think it fed on itself.  Had all the heart tests amd they were ok.  Got control of it through yoga, diet changes, meditation, a whole variety of things - but it worked.  Heart rate and BP totally fine now and no meds.

Hope you will soon be better.  Try different approaches.  Dofferent women will respond to different things.  I tried to resist meds and anti anxiety meds.  My doc was quick to hand these out, but I made on without them.