Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dry sore mouth  (Read 5222 times)

babyjane

dry sore mouth
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »

I read in another thread about dry mouth, sore mouth, burning mouth and throat so I looked it up as I get bouts of this.  I found this from the British Dental Association

There are some medical conditions which might cause BMS. They are:

dry mouth
acid reflux (when acid from your stomach comes up into your mouth)
thrush (a fungal infection in your mouth, also called ‘candida')
nutritional deficiencies (for example, when your body does not make or store enough iron, vitamin B12 or folic acid)
diabetes
thyroid problems.
In some cases, BMS may have more than one cause.

well I have dry mouth (and dry eyes) it is being loooked into by my GP, I also have suspected beginning of diabetes or pre diabetes and having my blood glucose monitored as it is too high, and I have been hypothyroid for 28 years.  I guess it's part of what is going on with me but as I am seeing GP this week I will mention it.

I have a strong family history of autoimmune dysfunction due to my great grandparents who were first cousins marrying, having children (my grandad) and passing on the auto immune illnesses (diabetes, thyroid disease, RA) from both of them.

SadLynda

Re: dry sore mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »

I also read that like me, some of the symptoms cannot be seen - but are very much there >:(  You may well then be diagnosed as barking mad instead.

My 'pain' was all around my gum area - after all the x-rays by dental hospital I was told there was nothing wrong with me.  My dentist confirmed this, and she was so awful I changed to another dentist, who read the entire report to me 9 months later and said I should have been referred for help even if it was 'in my head' she was very nice about it, I am seeing her this week and might just let her know about this one, maybe they dont know about it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:18:13 PM »

That's old Wives tales about first cousins  ::) ………  :-X

As for pain being 'in the head' well the brain can go awry with it's messages.  X-ray won't show pain  ::) only the reasons for pain; i.e. trigenimal neuralgia won't show on X-ray but can be difficult to treat and extremely painful!

Apparently there can be psychological reasons for pain, epilepsy and other illnesses - it is a quite recent discovery and there is a book published last month, of course I can't remember the name!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:06:54 AM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »

I think that's a bit of a sweeping statement about first cousins CLKD after all BJ does know her family history.
If both are coming from the same blood line then problems are bound to be exasperated and then passed on.
It's probably not a good idea for cousins to marry.

Honeybun
X

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »

Thanks CLKD - wish I knew this 3 years back.  might have to try search for that book and send it to said GP, and dental hospital.

I only get it now when stressed, and tell myself its imaginary ::)  Luckily I was so scared about loosing my teeth I became obsessed, first of all I looked after them 'too well' dont ask :o then with the new dentist got it all sorted out and things are fine now, my visit this week is to replace a filing nothing major (well, it is to me you wont see me on Wednesday as I do take visits quite badly) but to 'normal' folk it is nothing major, and she is a lovely dentist.

I told the GP I thought it was neuro - and he gave me a prescription for gabapentyn (sp?) that I refused to take, probably another reason he doesnt think so much of me.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »

If I think of the book title I'll let you know  ::) - however, meno brain

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »

That's old Wives tales about first cousins 

:o   :o    :o   WHAT?

I thought there was a problem with inbreeding and incest isn't that why it's illegal?

Wasn't there a german bloke fairly recently who imprisoned and raped his daughter and produced kids?
I seem to remember some of the kids didn't survive long after birth.
That's no problem?........................

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:57:29 AM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:24:44 PM »

First cousins isn't incest and isn't illegal in the UK  ;).

Back to the sore mouth.  Anyone else have problems with jam, chocolate etc.?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:07:40 AM by CLKD »

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »

First cousins isn't incest and isn't illegal in the UK  ;).

Limpy - that's a different sexual interest altogehter  ::) …….  after all, how many problems actually occur?  We breed animals back to their parents, i.e. my dog had the same gt gt and gt grandad on her Mother's side.  Had I bred from her she would have been bred back with her Dad …….. or Uncles.  No problems expected.

Ok first cousins mightn't be incest - but it's pretty close to inbreeding and it does seem to lead to disabilities where it occurs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/11723308/First-cousin-marriages-in-Pakistani-communities-leading-to-appalling-disabilities-among-children.html

You say dogs don't have problems from being bred within the family - ok they may "survive" in the short term but they end up with hip dysplasia and respiratory problems. 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:06:54 AM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »

Dog thread perhaps.  If I remember to go there!

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »

I can only say that I'm very glad you didn't breed from your dog CLKD because it goes against every breed standard you can think about.

That's why so many dogs have life limiting health issues......inbreeding  :-\

Sorry this is not what this topic is about.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 07:08:34 AM »

I agree.  Have done an edit  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »

Sorry for going off topic Babyjane

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 09:08:01 AM »

thank you for your comments and consideration Limpy and CLKD and for your PM CLKD  :thankyou:

Yes, the family history of autoimmune disorders comes down through both gt grandparents from the 3 x gt grandfather.

Back to the sore mouth.  I read that chewing gum will stimulate saliva production.  My husband chews gum for dental hygiene so I took some of his to try.  Yesterday I chewed for 10 minutes after lunch and tea.  I noticed the saliva flowing and last night I did not wake up with dry mouth needing to drink water.  Co-incidence?  I will try it for a few days and see.

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »

Back to the sore mouth.  I read that chewing gum will stimulate saliva production.  My husband chews gum for dental hygiene so I took some of his to try.  Yesterday I chewed for 10 minutes after lunch and tea.  I noticed the saliva flowing and last night I did not wake up with dry mouth needing to drink water.  Co-incidence?  I will try it for a few days and see.

It won't hurt to try it again.
Especially as it seemed to help last night
Pages: [1] 2