Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy - how does it feel?  (Read 25990 times)

Vaginal atrophy - how does it feel?
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »

I'm sure there a TONS of threads on this already, and I've read a lot but I can't quite figure it out.

Can you even suffer from this when you are in peri, or do you have to be in menopause?
Does it ALWAYS entail vaginal dryness?
Can it affect the anal area (just inside the opening) too? E.g. burning, pain, pressure, itching?
Does it ALWAYS mean that you have problems with your urine (e.g. leaking, pain, infections)?
Can it include abodominal pain/discomfort just above your private parts?

I have some symptoms that I think points towards this problem as a possibility, but not all. Today, for instance, I experience burning and slight pressure in my rectal area but also some itching and very slight swelling (probably not visibly so, but the sensation of being swollen) in my genital area. Some times I DO experience som urine leakage during certain parts of my cycle. Not so much that I risk leaking through clothing, but it smells... :( I also sometimes get a weird pain sensation just above my privates, which could be bladder or uterus (or something else), I guess. I quite often feel pressure on my gentials and/or anal area when I sit.

Does this at ALL sound like vaginal atrophy symptoms??? I still have my estrogen cream that I so far haven't worked up enough courage to use...

Annie0710

Re: Vaginal atrophy - how does it feel?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »

For me, and I wasn't examined, it was a telephone appt, I had recurrent uti's, my vagina looked very old and saggy and itchy all round externally, and vaginal dryness. Sex felt like a knife going in and I felt grazed and torn around the perineum after

I thought my anal fissures were due to atrophy but apparently not, that is a separate issue

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:17:22 PM »

Recurrent UTIs are also very common, being unable to insert a tampon due to dryness is a problem too and of course sex is painful.

I think your anal symptoms could be piles to be honest. Why not try a cream there or a suppository to see if that helps.

Urine leakage could be a slight prolapse. Pelvic floor excercises help with that.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »

VA for me was recurrent UTIs and thrush and painful sex (which has all gone with use of Vagifem).  Your anal symptoms sound just like haemorrhoids (piles)

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »

Can hemorroidhs become "chronic"? One of two doctors found evidence of an old hemorroidh when I was examined. This was in April. The other doctor (GP) found nothing wrong (in January). I was in more pain in January then in April so the first guy MUST have missed something. I was prescribed an ointment that I used for two weeks. Yes, I got better. But not 100%. I'm not in horrible pain, but the irritation comes and goes. Some days it's better, some days worse. I still wonder if peri/menopause and all the hormonal problems could be part of it? Right now I'm doing another 2-week-round of the ointment, seeing if it will help me more this time... But I keep thinking that it's more than "just" hemorroidhs (as if that's not bad enough...)!

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »

The following may be interesting re anal issues in menopause

http://www.analcare.co.uk/is-the-menopause-causing-that-anal-itch/

Is the Menopause Causing that Anal Itch?

It's easy to see something like anal or vaginal itching as a problem in itself, but for many women it could simply be symptomatic of the onset of the menopause.

Many doctors advise that women should wipe properly and make sure the area around the crotch doesn't dry out too much. But it's not just down there that the skin can dry out and cause itchiness when the menopause begins.

What is the menopause?

The menopause is the end of menstruation in women and occurs normally in your 50s, although it can happen earlier in some women. It follows when hormones levels such as oestrogen begin to fall, causing a consequent decrease in the number of eggs being produced. This reduction of a vital hormone can cause a number of other symptoms including hot flushes, night sweats, mood swings and dryness in the vaginal and anal area.

For many women, managing the menopause is often just a case of muddling through, but changes of diet to more healthy eating and a good exercise regime can also help make the condition pass with less difficulty. Most women take it in their stride but there is sometimes a symptom like an embarrassing itch that needs some more immediate attention.

What Causes the Itch?

Oestrogen does a lot of other things besides helping you to produce eggs and regulate the menstrual process. It also has a role in maintaining the moisture in your cells and helps in the production of collagen. As the level of oestrogen begins to fall in later life, so your skin may well suffer from dryness which can lead to flaking and itchiness, especially in those areas you would rather not scratch too much.

Many women suffer itchiness on their faces and increased stress levels at the time can also promote the release of histamines that can cause further irritation as well as making the skin flush periodically. Levels of uric acid can also rise causing the vaginal area to become overly sensitive.

What to do about Itchy Skin

There are a number of things you can do to help dampen the symptoms of the menopause.

Make sure your skin is moisturised regularly.
Avoid hot showers and baths that can strip the essential oils from your skin.
As far as possible stay clear of nicotine and alcohol that can further dry out your skin.
Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
If you find you suffer from an itchy anus try to resist scratching it too much or cleaning too harshly. Instead of that, go for a soothing anal cream that protects the area and keeps it moisturised, as well as easing that embarrassing itch.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

For me it was repeated urine-type 'infections' which weren't. Then my GP suggested VA which by then was like razor blades up there!  Treatment stopped all that.

rantywoman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:49:13 PM »

Along with painful intercourse and dryness, I had burning and itching in both the vaginal and anal areas, painful bladder, increased urination and an overall sensation of sitting atop a red hot porcupine with a jagged dagger on its back. Yet still the doctor insists I can only stay on hrt for two years! :-\

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »

What type of 'HRT' Rantywoman?  You can stay on HRT or treatment for Vaginal Atrophy as long as you need to  ;) …… some GPs are not up to date with the latest research about the 'dangers' of HRT.  Have a browse of the menus, top of screen.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »

Hi Rantywoman - I think that lots of doctors advise that HRT should be stopped by the age of 60 and I think you are 57/58? This may be why you have been told two years maxium. However it is worth fighting to be allowed to stay on it if your overall health is good. I was taken off at 59 and now, at 61, am back on full HRT as the symptoms all came back.

Did you go back onto the HRT you were using alongside the Vagifem?

Taz x

ancient runner

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »

20032003 didn't you buy a tube of Ovestin or am I thinking of someone else? Did you try using it? Apologies if I've mxed you up with somebody else...

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »

I was diagnosed with a caruncle at the entrance to my urethra when I was in perimeno after starting to experience moderate pain on weeing with no infection.  4 years later it had got a whole lot worse and the caruncle was alot bigger and constantly painful plus I was getting uti symptoms without any infection and itching inside vagina without any thrush or anything showing up on swab tests and just inside my vagina looked very dry and paler in colour.

Vagifem to the rescue and after 4 weeks my caruncle is tiny and all looks healthy inside and my symptoms are 90% better.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »

that's good news!

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »

20032003 didn't you buy a tube of Ovestin or am I thinking of someone else? Did you try using it? Apologies if I've mxed you up with somebody else...

I did order a tube of estrogen cream, yes. But I have not used it yet... Still haven't worked up the courage. Does estrogen cream interfere with your periods? I have so many (probably stupid!) doubts and fears when it comes to using hormones  :(. I have never even been on birth control...

Today I was confused as to how my vaginal area can FEEL dry and itchy, but at the same time be wet and moist ??? ? In other words, the sensation is of dryness, but if I touch my vaginal area I'm not dry - at all. I think that I have some discharge at certain times of the month that irritates my genitals. Anyone else experienced this?

Maryjane

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 06:01:53 PM »

A watery discharge that is different to when we were fertile is a sign of VA......I had loads of watery cream discharge and gynae saw it and said was very typical of VA......vagifem stopped it.
Pages: [1] 2