Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not sure if I am menopausal  (Read 4629 times)

LellyM

Not sure if I am menopausal
« on: August 10, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »

Hi there,

well, I am 48 yrs old and I have not had a period for 4 months. I am def not pregnant (hubby had a vasectomy). I am getting mild hot flushes but that is about it. Doc did a blood test and apparently my hormones are normal (but not sure how he can say that when he didn't have a starting point just a test against a normal band). Also had an internal U/S and that didn't show anything.

Before they stopped the periods were getting more irregular and were either very light and over in 2 days or very messy and lengthy. At one point I seemed to be dribbling for weeks on end.

Haven't really noticed any mood changes or anything. Libido is lower I guess.

Don't know whether to go and see the doc again as they just look at my age and tell me I am fine.

And, apart from feeling shattered, I am actually quite well and happy.

Any advice?

L

Taz2

Re: Not sure if I am menopausal
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »

Hi LellyM - welcome to the forum. You will find out lots from this site - both our posts and the information contained in the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Lots of us have been told that a blood test shows us as being "normal" but blood tests are really unreliable at showing us at which stage of peri meno (before menopause) or menopause we are at! The "normal" age for meno is deemed to be around 51 so at 48 you are not far off.

One of the first signs of approaching meno is the change in periods. You can go for months without any and then they start up again or you can have a period every couple of weeks. Sometimes you can have a period which lasts for weeks on end. They can be heavy or light, clotty or non-clotty, painful or not painful. The list seems endless of the various changes which can happen. As you are experiencing hot flushes then it would seem that your oestrogen level has lowered. Flushes often start off as mild and over the course of a few years (or months) they can increase or you may be one of the lucky ones who escapes with just a few hot moments! We have also found that when a period is on the way then flushes often stop.

I'm not sure whether you visited your GP for reassurance that all is well or whether you wanted advice re HRT?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

LellyM

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:00:54 PM »

Hi Taz,

you have basically confirmed what I thought.

I went to the GP just to make sure I wasn't crazy and that something had changed (yeah, came away feeling like a right fraud). When I mentioned the period that lasted for weeks he sent me for the U/S and a blood test and when it didn't come back Anaemic he all but told me I was making it up! Charming!!

Mind you, at 6ft 3" and over weight I would have to lose pints before I showed as Anaemic!

Think I am just going to monitor things. if anything gets worse I will seek help. Mum went on HRT for a couple of years and she went from "Wicked witch of the west" to nice almost overnight!

if it stays like this then I can cope. The emotional bit is irritating - I can cry at the national anthem (embarrassing as I am a performing musician) and I do get hot flushes when I am on stage and under pressure.

Oh well, c'est la vie!

L

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »

You are not a fraud and you are not going mad. You're going to fit in just fine here I can tell  ;D

Taz x  :madeyes:

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:28:48 PM »

hello LellyM and welcome to mad meno land.  You might be one of the lucky ones but don't be upset or surprised if things change over time.  I though I had really got away with an easy time and, although my menopause has been manageable, even the bonkers bits, compared to what some of the ladies here describe it has been quite up and down.  Just when I thought I was starting to get used to it my hormones would move the goalposts.

That is why this group is so valuable.  It is a great place to moan and let off steam and there always seems to be someone going through the same thing that you are worrying about.  Great group therapy and all free of charge.

Enjoy looking round the forum.

Jane

LellyM

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »

Hi Jane,  thanks.

I I am just going to take things as they come.  If they get bad I will seek pro help. Right now I am just going to get on with it and not worry.

L

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »

just remember that we are here if you need to ask anything and there is much information in the menus at the top of the page  :)

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36:44 AM »

Hi Lelly
Welcome to the forum   :welcomemm:

SadLynda

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »

Hi Lelly
My GP didnt reasure me I was not bonkers either, just let me get on with it.  I changed GP's.  This lot are not much better either, I have an appointment booked with the nurse.. if I am not happy I will change GP's again.  I really do not think we deserve to be treated like loon's.

BJ - love the mad meno land theme, I like it here :)

LellyM

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »

Oh I am sure I have come to the right place. It is nice to have people to talk to who k now what it is like! I tried talking to my mum but she seems to relish in "how bad" it will all get. :o

Mind you, she also said a mammogram was agony and I found it quite forgettable!

L

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »

any one thing can be different to different people.

Can I just warn you to watch out for the dreaded VA and if you suspect you have it demand that your GP give you topical oestrogen for it like Vagifem or Ovestin.

I fannied around for ages (pardon the pun) with treatments for thrush and cystitis over and over again when all I really needed was vaginal oestrogen.  I have not had a dose of either for 4 years now since using Vagifem although the atrophy had done its damage by then. 

If you suspect it get treatment fast so you don't suffer with it too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »

:welcomemm:  in case I haven't already …...

LellyM

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »

Hi folks,

sorry I haven't been around for a while. I started a new job so that sort of took over my life.

So what to say, I am still here. I still don't really have any symptoms apart from no periods for 2+ years (yay!!) and a totally useless body thermostat. The latter is annoying. I can feel freezing cold when everyone is comfortable yet at night I have to sleep outside the duvet as it is too hot (and hubby is moaning about the bedroom windows being open!)

Had another blood test recently - they seemed to have checked everything and I came back as normal (now there is a turn up for the books). But as I am now 50 I guess meno is very likely (esp as I had major gyno surgery in my 30s).

I stopped most of the herbal supplements as they didn't seem to do anything. I do still take a vit D every day as it seems to ward of colds but other than than that, nowt.

So, basically, apart from feeling exhausted all the time ( I could fall asleep at my desk) I am fine and dandy.

Lx

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »

Hello nice to see you.  How's the new job going?  I would imagine something hormonal is happening but if you are coping then that's good.  You know where to come for help and advice if you find you are not coping and don't know which way to turn.  We've all been/are going through it in one way or another

:cuss: :sweatdrop: :steamed: :stupid: :rant: :neutral: :madeyes: :spin: :hug:

Evy

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »

Hi I'm a new member and not sure if I'm writing this on the right page. I'm 50 years old and think I'm in the peri menopause, I still have a period but they're all over the place, I've also been experiencing joint pain all over my body and I feel awful. Been to my GP but they're not interested. Has anyone else going through this. Evy
Pages: [1] 2