Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bonfires!  (Read 5539 times)

Ju Ju

Bonfires!
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:41:09 PM »

:cuss: it's Saturday afternoon, the sun is shining....time to open the windows, sit in the garden, put the washing out. But no, a neighbour has decided it's a good time to have a bonfire.  >:(

I'm asthmatic, so it's more than just a nuisance.

littleminnie

Re: Bonfires!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »

Aren't people strange. Wouldn't you have thought they would wait till the evening at least.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

Most folk have bonfires later in the day, although haven't seen anyone having  one round here in years. I'd be coughing & spluttering too JuJu as I too am asthmatic.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »

Not sure what your local council bylaws are but burning rubbish up here is against them.

Not long ago my friend had one, quite late on, a neighbour reported her and the fire brigade turned up, put the bonfire out and she got a warning.

Depends on how much you like your neighbour and how often it happens...because I suspect it will be against the law.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »

Occasionally someone lights a bonfire which I don't mind at all: don't get me started on BarBQs though  :cuss:

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:56:05 PM »

Least they smell good CLKD   ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 09:56:42 PM »

How can you call the smell of oily food cooked on false coals which have been lit with fire-lighters 'good'  :D

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 09:58:42 PM »

No oily food on my BBQ which is a gas one with lava rock....completely different. Really does smell good.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:00:45 PM »

Lava rock? we moved out of the Cave though  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 10:03:46 PM »

This where men get to revisit cavemen tendencies and play with fire.  ;D

We also have chicory chips that smoke a tiny bit and add flavour.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:05:43 PM »

DH has several different types of wood for his smoker …….

Some areas are Smokeless Zones …….. the Council should have details JuJu!  In those areas even coal fires are regulated as to which smokeless fuel is allowed  ::)

Once we had SMZones black spot on roses became common - apparently smoke cured it  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 07:38:02 AM »

Had a look at the local by laws. No times given, just that bonfires should only be lit with consideration for neighbours. Sadly no particular guidelines, other than what you can't burn. If  this happened on a more regular basis by the same neighbour, we could report it to the council. We live on a property tucked away behind other properties. People tend to light bonfires at the end of their gardens. We have been swamped with smoke before, so much so we couldn't see anything. I made a huge fuss, which had a good outcome. Yesterday the bonfire was further away, but the wind was blowing in our direction. It was an acrid smoke. I shall have a word with this neighbour and request that he has bonfires in the evenings, but I don't hold out much hope. Pleasant, but then goes on in his own sweet way. He's a politician. Say no more.  ???

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »

;D …….. there's bargaining power there then  ;)

CLKD

5th of ........ ?? bonfires ??
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2023, 08:03:51 PM »

What does 5th November mean to your families?   When I was growing up 1 didn't have them and fireworks on a Sunday, now it seems to be any night of the year  >:(

Why 5th. November
Why burning an effigy of a 'guy' ........  :-\

Penguin

Re: 5th of ........ ?? bonfires ??
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2023, 06:38:10 AM »

What does 5th November mean to your families?   When I was growing up 1 didn't have them and fireworks on a Sunday, now it seems to be any night of the year  >:(

Why 5th. November
Why burning an effigy of a 'guy' ........  :-\

Should be limited to one night and organised displays only. Dog (only a year old) terrified last night when they were going off randomly. Took ages to settle as each time she settled there'd be another one. I love fireworks but one night only please.
Pages: [1] 2