Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Diabetes history and blood glucose  (Read 2194 times)

babyjane

Diabetes history and blood glucose
« on: August 07, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »

Because of my family history of diabetes I have my blood glucose checked once a year.  

When I went yesterday my blood glucose level was quite a bit too high despite a 12 hour fasting and has to be done again in 2 weeks.  If it is still too high I will be referred to the GP.

They did not tell me to do anything but I am already reducing my sugar intake and cutting out all cakes, biscuits and puddings.

The family history is so strong that if I can stave it off and give myself a chance I will try my best.

Ju Ju

Re: Diabetes history and blood glucose
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »

I too have a strong family history and was warned I was insulin resistant. I followed recommendations on diet, lost weight rather too rapidly (got gall stones), but at the last MOT at the surgery, my glucose levels were back in the ideal range. Maybe cut down slower than me, but you can do it!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »

You could ring a diabetic nurse to ask for advice. What is it with GPs, they don't follow through other than suggest another blood test at a later date - they seem to miss out the middle man  :-\

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »

My GP is excellent.  I haven't seen him yet.  I get my blood sugar tested at the local Lloyds chemist.  If the re check is still raised then I will see my GP

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:01 PM »

:-\ sorry didn't read the complete thread did I  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »

What was your level BJ.

Is it type 1 or 2 that is the problem in your family. Are you overweight...ok that's cheeky, but you know what I mean. Do you excercise at all. Sometimes it's not just down to sugar in your diet.

As you know hubby is type 1 so a few amateur experts in my house.

Honeyb
X
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:46:45 PM by honeybun »

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »

Honey you are heading for a smack  :kick: ;D

the level after a 12 hour fast was 6.4.  Cut of for 'normal' is 5.5

I am not overweight 9st 10 and 5 ft 3

I exercise 20 - 30 mins once or twice a day walking the dog.

The family history of autoimmune disorders includes type 1 diabetes - mother, maternal aunt and maternal grandfather, possibly one or both maternal great grandparents as well.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »

Sounds as if you are doing all the right things. I wonder what your levels would be over the course of a day.
Sometimes I think the medical profession is too keen to step in with medication. My hubby is happy with a level of around 6-8 as if he has a dip he does not dip too far.
When he was first diagnosed the doctor could not even get a level....he was so high and off the scale for a GP.
We don't worry so much about the highs...well as long as they are not too high. It's the dips that are difficult.
Do you ever run out of energy very quickly or feel shaky and sweaty after exertion.

It could be that's the natural level for you but until you are regularly testing you will never really know. I don't know how much a home testing kit costs but might be worth a thought. Wish you were nearer and you could pop round and test yourself

Honeyb
X
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:20:21 PM by honeybun »

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »

My husband is insulin dependent type 2 diabetic with strong family history. 
5.5 seems a little on the low side compared to what it used to be, I wonder if the drug manufacturers are influencing things as they tend to do!  It used to be between 6-7 was keep and eye on it but 6 or below was fine.  They have obiously changed the goal posts.
Good idea to reduce your carbs but don't lose weight too fast as has been said its a recipe for gallstones as i found out many years ago. I was told recently  not to lose more than 3lbs a week as over this and your body makes gallstones and as I already have them ( they are happy being left alone) I don't want anymore!
Your Gp will do the HBA1C blood test that gives them the average over past 8 weeks and this is much more useful to them.
Good luck with the diet.