Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend an Anti Depressant  (Read 2371 times)

Tangerinedreams

Can anyone recommend an Anti Depressant
« on: August 07, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »

Hi all

I've been struggling with anxiety and stress lately, things have been difficult at home and at work.  I am feeling really anxious.  I am seeing the doctor later on this evening to see what they can give me.  I don't want to take an SSRI and I've had them in the past and they make me feel hyper and worse.  I need something to sedate me, but I know they don't like to use the old style AD's any more, but these are what suit me best.  I don't want amitryptaline that made me feel like a zombie.  Please advise.

Dancinggirl

Re: Can anyone recommend an Anti Depressant
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »

My gynae likes to prescribe Citalopram - it is a SSRI but it apparently suits many women quite well. I have a colleague at work who is doing well on this.  I think it is about trial and error. Are you using some HRT? I assume you have tried CBT and Mindful Meditiation? DG x

Tangerinedreams

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »

Hi DG

Thank you for your reply.  Yes I am on Femoston which is really helping, don't know where I would be without this, but outside factors are not helping.

I will ask about Citralopram, that sounds like it might be suitable for me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »

I take a betablocka at night to stop early morning anxiety surges
I have an emergency drug to take when panic attacks over-whelm me and I get black thoughts
I used 10mg Valium on an 'as necessary' basis in the 1990s, usually the night before an event we had to attend and sometimes in the day too

If you are depressed you need something to lift mood
If anxiety is the problem some ADs can help

marras

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »

What strength Amitryptline are you taking? When I was on 25mg I was like a zombie but I am now taking 10mg which is much better. It really helps with the anxieties and also helps me get a better sleep. Worth a try. :)

dazned

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »

How did you get on ?

Tangerinedreams

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »

Thankyou ladies.  I got on ok he has given me Dothiepin which I've had a few times before.  It worked before to help lift my mood.  I am having marital problems, so think I will start another post in Private Lives.

dazned

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »

That's good,at least you have something to help and you know you get on with that one so hopefully in a couple of weeks you should some lift.

Briony

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:10:52 AM »

What strength Amitryptline are you taking? When I was on 25mg I was like a zombie but I am now taking 10mg which is much better. It really helps with the anxieties and also helps me get a better sleep. Worth a try. :)

Me too. Could hardly function on 25 but 10 mg was fine. My MIL takes 5-10 mg as a sleeping aid and has done for years.