Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Self-test for menopause  (Read 2095 times)

Self-test for menopause
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »

I saw a self-test for menopause that I believe measures the level of luteinizing hormone in the urine. Can that be done in peri, and is it meaningful? I would love to be able to say, yes, I'm definitely in peri and, yes, all my odd symtoms are due to being in peri. But is it worth spending money on?

Taz2

Re: Self-test for menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

I think that these tests have proved to be unreliable 20032003 because the hormone levels fluctuate so much during peri. Peri lasts for around ten years and usually begins at around the age of 41/42. It really means "before" meno so if you are in your forties then you will be in peri  meno. If you are still in your thirties then I can see why you would need definite proof that you are in peri but any older than that then it is a normal part of the process. It wont tell you that you are actually in menopause as far as I know? Are you trying to find out if you are still peri?

Taz x  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »

I'm 46. I guess I would just like to confirm that I'm in peri and that my symtoms actually are due to that. Health anxiety, I guess.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »

It's so difficult to cope with all of the different symptoms but if you are 46 then it is "normal" to be in peri and to have fluctuating hormones.

I remember feeling really relieved when I started HRT and discovered that all of the symptoms I had blamed on hormones in my fertile years i.e. the mood swings and PMT really had all been down to hormone levels. The fact that by changing from the oestrogen only patch to the one with the progesterone in it each month brought on all of the symptoms I had for all of fertile life was such a revelation. I'd always blamed it on the hormones but often+, in the back of my  mind, was the thought that perhaps I was imagining it. To have proof in the form of a patch was quite exhilarating!

Taz x