Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: gingivitis brushing and flossing  (Read 8373 times)

babyjane

gingivitis brushing and flossing
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »

I went to the dental hygienist  and have been advised to start flossing every day.  I am finding it quite awkward and uncomfortable and it makes my jaw tense.  I already have trouble with tension in my jaw muscles.

I have pretty good teeth and gums courtesy of my gene pool and I want to keep them at their best.

Can anyone offer advice on brushing and flossing technique please?

babyjane

Re: gingivitis brushing and flossing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »

good morning sparkle.  I was advised tape floss and husband was advised the orange tepe brushes.  I was also advised to used a manual soft toothbrush instead of my electric one which is too aggressive.

I find I tense my jaw as I am not relaxed with the flossing technique yet and that sends the muscle into spasm.  Yes, the back ones are awkward, I can't get the right angle as I can't open wide enough  :(

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:11:31 PM »

thanks sparky, I will look into those back teeth ones  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:30:23 PM »

babyjane - it's actually about practise - I would try the fine waxed floss first - make sure you use a long enough piece of floss so you can wrap an end around a finger on each hand and gently ease the floss between the teeth, don't push the gum back with the floss but slightly ease the floss to where the tooth meets the gum then draw away from the gum along each edge of the tooth to remove any food or plaque.
My dentist showed me a trick for teeth that are closely packed but have a small gap near the gum where food etc can get lodged - make a knot in the floss then ease it between the teeth but don't pull it back up, just draw it through holding one end and the knot will remove any deposits as it comes through.
I use both floss (waxed) and the tipi brushes as I have crowns and different size gaps between my teeth and once you get used to using them you'll find it gets easier.  I was advised by my dentist to use an electric toothbrush as it stops you from brushing too hard and removes plaque better. I have got used to using the electric brush as it's easier to reach the back teeth. I try to clean so well that I don't ever have to go to the hygienist - I usually only need a small amount of plaque removed at my annual check up with my dentist.
DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:42 PM »

I was advised tepe brushes then after the little head brush all round then the standard brush head

Annie xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:58:38 PM »

My teeth are too un-even to be flossed, floss is BANNED in this house, it is unhygienic! but the Tipee brushes work well.  There are different sizes for the varying gaps between teeth all colour graded.  I have to clean mine after every main meal ……… ssssooo time consuming >yawn< but if I don't my Dental Surgeon will be Very Disappointed  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:36 AM »

How is floss unhygienic?  :-\

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »

I would have thought the brushes to be more unhygienic unless you sterilize them after every use. All those little fibres collect food and then bacteria grows.
Floss is a one use and throw it away thing.

I'm confused.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »

All that saliva dribbling down the wrists/arms/elbows onto the floor  ;D

Toothbrushes in general are un-hygenice particularly if the basin is in the same room as the loo, all those water droplets flying around  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »

I do but Himself ……….  :-X  ::)

I laid in the bath late last night in deep bubbles thinking about how I would build a bathroom in a 'new' property: so I have a (a) hand wash basin and on either side a urinal and a toilet: in another room I would have a bath with hand wash basin: glass ceiling so that I could lay in the water and look up at the blue sky or stars: in a 3rd, probably en-suite, a shower and wash basin.  Down stairs would be (a) ……….

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:55:52 AM »

:rofl: ……. with wall to ceiling windows that open  ;) Men  ::) - oh a loo with a view  :-* now my architectural skills have kicked in  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »

I would always have the loo separate from the bathroom. As for the glass ceiling - we have a velux window over our bath so I can, indeed, lay and look at the stars or, as I did this morning, watch the fluffy white clouds passing over head until my viewing was interrupted by a very impatient cat pawing on the glass wanting to come in that way rather than through the open bedroom window!

Taz x  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »

;D ……….. as long it's a cat and not the window cleaner  ;)

I suppose when we moved from the Privey into affording indoor plumbing, it was space saving and easier pipe wise to build the whole room 'as one'.  However ……..

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »

Great minds  :D ……….

OH my mind is now working over-time and I want to move to a plot and build, build, build  :o

Is it hormones that make men more smelly than ladies ……….  :whist:

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 10:03:14 AM »

If I can remember where I put the glass with mine in last night  ;)

See you later!
Pages: [1] 2 3