Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: slightly sore lump in armpit: antibiotics or not?  (Read 8861 times)

oldsheep

slightly sore lump in armpit: antibiotics or not?
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »

I went to the GP (before he went away for 3 weeks holiday) last tuesday morning as have a small, slightly painful swollen gland/lump in my armpit.
The situation is complicated by my CFS which causes gland pain in my armpits when it flares up (but not generally lumps).
I had just got back from holiday and had overdone it on monday - I swam too far and was really tired, slightly sore throat etc.

The lump pain comes and gos and sometimes I can see a little redness in the area. The pain is like my hair being pulled, quite sharp.
I find it better to wear a sleeveless top or a loose fitting shirt as a normal T shirt irritates it.
I've been keeping it clean and putting on antiseptic cream.

GP said leave it a week, then take antibiotics if it's worse or hasn't gone. Flucloxacillin 250mg 4 x day. He said he thought it was a boil although I can't see a boil.

Pharmacist said be careful as this antibiotic isn't usually prescribed to those over 50 due to liver side effects.
I don't know what to do. Some websites say you can leave these for up to 3 weeks, others have dire warnings about ignoring bacterial infections.  I feel a bit tired (but that can be my CFS) but not as bad as tuesday, and I am resting up as much as possible.

Does anyone have any experience of this please?  the glands around the side of my breast are a little tender too although no lumps.

lily

Re: slightly sore lump in armpit: antibiotics or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:02:56 PM »

Hi old sheep

I had slightly painful lumps in my armpit a few years ago, did look a bit red too and the Dr took bloods, checked breasts and said to wait on blood results - I also had a sore throat. Lumps were away by the time I got results and Dr said bloods showed I had had an infection somewhere and this was my immune systems way of reacting. She said this was not a bad thing as it showed lymph nodes were working. I tried to not shave armpits as often as I had been, I have had this again since but not as bad as first time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »

Sounds like lymph glands reacting?  I would wait and allow Nature to take it's course.  I remember that sharp pulling feeling when I had a cold many++ years ago.

It could also be a hair follicle that is slightly infected so avoid shaving for a while.  Did the GP check your breasts?

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »

I've checked my own breasts in the shower. That's when I can mostly feel the lump - sometimes it's bigger and I can see it.
About the size of a pea at its biggest. The pain comes and goes and it's best if I wear loose clothing.
Antibiotics make me so ill and the ones he prescribed worry me, so think I'll wait and see. Something's going on as I didn't even have the energy to swim today and didn't even want to  :o

I also was so tired, I didn't notice the trout I bought had 2 layers of plastic packaging. I removed the top one, then marinated the vacuum seal.....much to OH's amusement  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »

Hopefully he didn't stand and watch you though  :-\  ;D

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »

;D

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »

Having read the information leaflet oldsheep which does indeed say that in over 50's liver problems can occur I wouldn't take this antibiotic although you have been given a lower dose. We know from experience that some things are missed by the GP so I would definitely query it.

Taz x  :hug:

oldsheep

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »

yes Taz, I did, thanks. The very first contra-indication is not for the over 50s which worried me and the pharmacist said so too. I didn't cash it.  I thought only IF I'm really unwell, and I'd prefer amoxycillin if I did need ABs. Broader spectrum but at least I've had it before and just had upset tum. I'm loading up on probiotics just in case.
The lump is harder to find this morning. It's done this before, then swelled up again. (that seems more viral than bacterial?!) I feel generally tired and grot. Terrible hayfever and dripping nose this morning with the drop in pressure here - it's drizzling.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »

I thought about you this evening …….. wondering  ::)

Be kind to YOU!

Salad

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »

Hi 😃

I had enlarged lymph nodes under my arms and after being referred for medical, surgical and dermatology consultations, they turned out to be menopause related.

I had up to 3 large marble sized lumps with inflammation under each arm and so painful I literally couldn't move my arms. I started HRT and within a week they settled.

Hope you feel better soon x

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »

thanks! x

I tried swimming today but just got cramp. Then took a friend to a garden centre and had a really dizzy spell. Something's still not right although hopefully the lump has gone down now (hope it's not back). I'm really tired too.

oldsheep

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »

the gland has long since gone down but still having mega problems with M.E (lymph gland pain without swelling, v easily fatigued).
I can do about 1/2 of what I could do during last summer and the winter. Getting very frustrated.
I take a full 5 mins longer to swim the same distance as then, and have to lie down for a few hours afterwards - just like 20 years ago  :(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 12:06:44 PM »

It is frustrating.  Glad that the lump has receeded.  One less to worry about!

Do you get home to rest after your swim or would a massage help at the leisure centre  ....... at least then you would be 'doing' something  ;)