Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Peri/menopause symtoms and the hereditary component?  (Read 2962 times)

Peri/menopause symtoms and the hereditary component?
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »

Age of menopause I understand is hereditary, but what about specific symptoms? I don't, unfortunately, talk to my mom about stuff like this. We never have. But there have been little things that I've been putting together. Could, for instance, stomach/digestive issues be hereditary? My mom has always been gassy (I don't have to ask her to know... ;) ). When I brought up the other day that I might have become sensitive to lactose, she said that for a while she was not able to eat anything like pancakes or waffles because she would get terrible diarreah. So either the milk or the gluten maybe? A few years back she switched from regular brewed coffee to instant coffee, because the coffee gave her a stomach ache. She loves fresh strawberries, but cannot eat many before she gets a stomach upset.

For years and years she suffered terrible migraines (she spent many weekends in a cool dark bedroom...), but she doesn't have those anymore. I have had what I've considered "migraine light". Nothing like what my mom went through, but nagging headaches, fatigue and some vision problems. That has stopped now.

I see similarities....

Re: Peri/menopause symtoms and the hereditary component?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »

Yep, me too 20032003!  Digestive issues and headaches/migraines are a definitely family trait - four generations and counting!  Also fibroids and breast lumps (mum and me, hopefully my DD's wont suffer but looking at how things are going, who knows!)

S x

Interesting...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »

I think there are heredity factors for many ailments but just because your mum suffered with certain meno symptoms doesn't mean you will.  I am one of 3 girls and whilst my meno has followed the same pattern as my mother my sisters have not suffered the same fate. My mother had a premature meno and didn't tell me until I was diagnosed!!!!!
I certainly have the nasty headaches as one of my many meno symptoms but my mother didn't get headaches - I just remember her being extremely tetchy, short tempered and complaining about being hot all the time. She didn't have HRT so she has shrunk by at least 4 inches!.  DG x

Sarai

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »

I wish my mum was here to ask. But I remember seeing in her cupboard pills for sleeping and pills for anxiety when she would have been mid 50's. She never ever discussed personal stuff but I know she never got a hot flush as she was allways cold.
She suffered most of her life with migraine which I remember had gone in her 50's, I too am a migraine sufferer, though not like hers.
She suffered lots of bloating and tummy stuff. I too have just given up tea as I felt it was giving me stomach ache, I just have hot water now.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »

My mother had hot flushes.....tick
Panic attacks........................tick
Anxiety................................tick.

I've have had all of the above.

But so do a lot of menopausal women.

My mother never sought any help. She did say the doctor once gave her a big green pill but it made her sick so she never took any more.  ::)

She never had HRT and has shrunk so very much. She does not have a dowagers hump though. At nearly 93 she is a bit of a miracle to be honest.

Honeyb
X