Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: So tired and drained  (Read 14117 times)

MrsMopp

Re: So tired and drained
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »

21 one days to break a habit eh?  I ought to give it a go.  I have such a sweet tooth, love all the bad things.  I have stopped having sugar in my tea - I now use Agave syrup. 

Is Splenda ok as a sugar substitute?

Gill Mojo

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »

Wow, just reading the last few posts and this so chimes with where I am at right now. My stomach is constantly upset and I have been advised to try cutting out dairy and gluten, as well as chocolate (which I don't eat much of anyway). Out of curiosity, are there any good recipe books anyone could recommend to back up this dairy and gluten free lifestyle? I don't eat much in the way of processed foods and I love to cook so books would be fabulous. Now I just need to find some willpower.... anyone got any lying around spare? ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:28:22 PM by Gill Mojo »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »

If you find 'willpower' then will you share  ;D

Splenda - why substitute anyway, lessen the amount of sugar you take each day and why Agave ? a plant had to die  ;)  :-X

I can't stop having sugar in my cuppa but am being more cautious about hidden sugars.

Hurdity

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »

Best way to avoid hidden sugars (these are mainly in savoury foods as you would expect them in sweet foods!) is not to buy processed foods, sauces etc and make your own. Once you are used to a low sugar or natural sugar (ie fruit) diet, savoury sauces and soups etc that you buy all taste horrible because they are so sweet. Best to have a small amount of sweet treats and know you are having them eg a square of choc or something and cut out the rest. Also too much fruit juice is not good for blood sugar levels - not sure about digestion?

Hurdity x

babyjane

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 06:55:48 PM »

It's true, pasta sauces are horrendous for sugar.  We now use premium quality tinned chopped tomatoes and add sauteed onions, garlic and basil.  Lovely  :)  Make our own tomato soup too - yum  :).  The other stuff tastes horrid now.

I have a very strong family history of diabetes so I follow a diabetic diet now as much as I can as a preventative measure (hopefully)

honeybun

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »

Have to say I never buy sauces in any form. I make my own and always have done. The ones in jars taste funny to me, sort of metallic and unpleasant.
I don't buy pizza either but buy or make the base and do my own toppings.

Hubby says all shop bought pizza tastes the same...a sort of generic sprayed on flavour.

I have been teaching my daughter the art of sauce making.Once you learn the few basics then you are on your way to adding and changing to what you need.

I gave up sugar in my tea years ago, now I think tea tastes naturally sweet

Honeyb
X

MrsMopp

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 09:51:20 AM »

Splenda in cakes as a sugar substitute CKLD.

A plant had to die?  Lol, so do we not eat veg now?!  ;D

GeordieGirl

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »

I've started using fruit and spices more to sweeten rather than sugar and I actually prefer it now.

I read an article yesterday about the very high levels of tooth decay in toddlers and young children, which they put down to sugary drinks. Unfortunately drinks like Fruit Shoots, which are marketed for that audience, are far too high in sugars.  A short quiz on there points out just how deceptive food stuffs can be where sugar is concerned, and yes, if it's processed or in a pack, it's likely to feature fairly prominently:  http://news.sky.com/story/1344542/quick-quiz-which-foods-have-the-most-sugar.

Yesterday's tea saw us making cauliflower-based pizzas and they were scrummy. Normally my kids would turn their noses up at cauliflower, but I obviously disguised it well  :)

GG x

MrsMopp

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 11:54:42 AM »

Sounds lovely CG,  I love cauliflower though it's after effects are not so good  ::)

I'm of the 60s generation.  Lots of sweets, no knowledge of dental hygiene, dentists happy to take out teeth/fill them with amalgam on a whim, delrosa rose hip syrup in soothers rotting babies' and toddlers' teeth.  I've a mouth full of fillings while my adult children have no fillings at all in their lovely straight teeth.

littleminnie

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »

Made some blueberry muffins yesterday with sugar substitute (xylitol).  They were disgusting. They all went in the bin (well the recycling bin).  :(

MrsMopp

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »

Oh dear  :(

The substitute in Splenda is called Maltodextrin.  I've been googling it and it's not good news  :(

honeybun

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »

I use good old sugar and....butter  ::)

I'm afraid my attitude is eat a little of something really nice rather than a lot of something that's not great.

I don't buy low fat anything, I just use a tiny bit of the good stuff.

Honeyb
X

babyjane

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »

we are alike honeybee  :) .  Low fat means low taste and low satisfaction.  I prefer a little of something good quality.  Hubby likes good quality food too. I would not buy value or basics food and we like to use the local farm shop  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]