Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Private mammogram for mum asap  (Read 5338 times)

Chi chi

Private mammogram for mum asap
« on: June 05, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »

Hi everybody , mum has got herself into a right state and I mean right state about having her mammogram, think she's developed health anxiety  :( I need to find out if you have a private mammogram do u get the results straight away? She is petrified about them and I know she's gonna worry herself sick for the next week or so  :( I really want to help her. Her appt is 3.30 this afternoon but if I knew she would get the results straight away I will tell her to cancel and I will take her private.
Does anyone know please??
Thanks  :)

honeybun

Re: Private mammogram for mum asap
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:16:45 PM »

Poor thing, I do understand.

I'm not sure if you would get immediate results though. The only thing you can do is make a quick call to ....well I'm not even sure where to be honest.

I hope she will be ok.

Honeybun
X

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »

Thank you, I just want to be able to put her mind at rest  :-\ her friend was diagnosed a few weeks ago and has just had her op  :( of course now mum thinks she has it  ::) I know the wait is gonna really torment her  :(

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

I have had one in the past and noI didn't get the results traight away I had to see the consultant the following day.  Some private hospitals do a same day breast clinic so if you have one of those near you thats an option BUT if its a bad result you then would have to wait for the private clinic to tell her GP and her GP to refer her to the nhs breast clinic so there is the potential for it to be worse because of knowing and having to wait for it all to happen.

Chi chi

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »

Mum had a letter today, they've asked her to go in for more tests and possibly a biopsy  :-\ obviously now she's totally convinced that it's cancer, in floods of tears worrying  :'(  we've tried to explain to her that is doesn't necessarily mean anything and could just be a cyst or something? She's not convinced! I'm going with her tomorrow

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »

Your poor mum! Hope tests tomorrow go well.

Chi chi

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:34:40 PM »

:thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »

I had a biopsy followed by surgery followed by further surgery followed by radiation therapy - still here! >wave<.  Tell your Mum that it's not as bad as it might first seem  ;) …….

Going privately if the appt. was today would not have gained anything  :-\

Sit down and make a list of concerns.  Take them tomorrow!

GeordieGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »

Going privately if the appt. was today would not have gained anything  :-\

I went to the docs with a lump on the Friday before Christmas, and on Christmas Eve had a mammogram, ultrasound, aspiration and biopsy, all on the same day. They have a 'one stop shop' approach at Stockport - an excellent service. I found out everything on the day apart from the results of the biopsy, which of course they need to send off to test.  There's a lot I complain about in conventional medicine but my local hospital is pretty exemplary at times, and this was one of those times.   I'm not sure if other hospitals have the same approach, but I can't see a private hospital having sorted it any quicker.

If the NHS can have the results ready for discussion during the same session, I'd have thought there'd be no problem a private hospital doing the same?  Whatever the case, I hope she's put out of her misery soon and all turns out well.

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 05:05:26 PM »

The appt. was today  :-\ so nothing would have been gained.  It would also have 'wasted' an appt. in the NHS and as it is probably the same Consultant covering both areas (i.e. NHS/Private Practice).

Chi chi

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »

Thanks everyone, she seems to think that we won't find anything out tomorrow?? I'm trying my best to reassure her that it will be ok, and like you say CLKD if there is anything then it can be sorted (hopefully) I think it's all the waiting that's making it worse for her  :(

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 06:58:30 PM »

Let us know how you get on.  Take a list  ;) did I say that already  ::) ……

It really is the waiting that gets to us.  Once  I had results I could deal with the necessary.

Chi chi

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »

Mums been given the all clear! So relieved  :banana: :ola:
She had got herself into a right state, never seen her like that before, she frightened the living day lights out of us though! She went in for her mammogram (couldn't go with her ) was in there a good 15/20 mins the nurse then comes out and takes us to another room where mums sat crying her eyes out and shaking like a leaf, it was awful seeing her like that  :-\ we asked what they'd said and she replied " I've to have a biopsy, they've found something, they've even marked me" our hearts sank but we had to remain positive and upbeat. She wasn't making a lot of sense and was crying so much it was difficult to actually work out exactly what had been said. Then the Dr and nurse came in and took her off for an ultrasound, I went with her and on the way the Dr said we'll all looks normal but we'll do the ultrasound anyway! I sat with mum while this was done and all the way through they kept saying everything was normal!? Then she was given the all clear! Turns out mum had just words and put 2 and 2 together and got 5!!!  ::) she still wasn't convinced and kept asking if they were sure! 3 doctors have looked and it's all completely fine  :)
What a relief! Thanks for all the comments and best wishes  :)

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 01:33:27 PM »

Really pleased for your mum and you.

Great news.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »

Hearing a few words and not the nub is quite common when we are worried - but why didn't the Nurse explain again to you and your Mum  >:(.  The biopsy wasn't required I take it?

When my late M in L was poorly she didn't always listen …… in Hospital she was told that B in L wasn't visiting as he had diarhoere (sp) and she heard 'he's died in a car crash'.  That was 2 days before we went to visit and she was sobbing.  She kept saying 'poor S will miss him and won't be able to visit me now' and it took his brother arriving at the bed-side to convince her he was alive. (by which time he was better). 

I wrote and suggested to the Nursing Staff that the word 'runs' should be used rather than the clinical diarhoere (sp) to avoid confusion  ::)

Party tonight?
Pages: [1] 2