Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Interesting observation - allergies and perimenopause  (Read 4469 times)

Interesting observation - allergies and perimenopause
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »

I have for the last 15 years or so suffered from some degree of pollen allergies every spring. It started when I lived for a few years in the US, where the allergies were quite severe. It continued when I moved to Sweden about 10 years ago. Here in Sweden the allergies were quite mild though, but I would get them every spring. Except for this year. I have read that perimenopause tends to make existing conditions, such as allergies, WORSE but that is definitely not true for me. Anyone else who has noticed the opposite, i.e. that their allergies have become milder and/or disappeared?

cherylks

Re: Interesting observation - allergies and perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:54:46 PM »

Yep.  I have been allergic to certain fruits for 30 years.  Either last year or year before we had apples on a new fruit tree and as always i took a tiny bite expecting the usual reaction of itchy mouth and little swelling but nothing happened.  Over the course of the next few weeks/months I very carefully tried again etc and basically I can now eat apples AND pears.  Some other fruit I wouldn't dare try as more serious reaction. 
For anyone reading this - please DO NOT TRY THIS if you have ever had a serious reaction....  I know my body and was extremely careful but doesn't mean others could get away with it!

Anyway,I also no longer get the pollen allergies/hayfever either.  Interesting.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »

Yep.  I have been allergic to certain fruits for 30 years.  Either last year or year before we had apples on a new fruit tree and as always i took a tiny bite expecting the usual reaction of itchy mouth and little swelling but nothing happened.  Over the course of the next few weeks/months I very carefully tried again etc and basically I can now eat apples AND pears.  Some other fruit I wouldn't dare try as more serious reaction. 
For anyone reading this - please DO NOT TRY THIS if you have ever had a serious reaction....  I know my body and was extremely careful but doesn't mean others could get away with it!

Anyway,I also no longer get the pollen allergies/hayfever either.  Interesting.

Very interesting... And I wonder why?

justaboutcoping

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »

I get perennial rhinitis (not actually allergic to anything but like permanent hay fever  :( ), and unfortunately still the same as it always has been.

In fact, if anything, has got worse since I started HRT a few weeks back. That might just be coincidence though.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »

It's the opposite for me, in fact it was new allergic reactions occurring that linked me to nenopause.  I am latex allergic (anaphylactic) with many cross allergens (exotic fruits) and beginning of this year I started getting daily reactions (lip swelling mainly) but as much as I tried I couldn't and still haven't pinpointed the trigger/s

On looking up new sudden allergies led me to menopause

Annie xx