Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is St John's Wort safe - re: photo-sensitivity / cataracts?  (Read 4006 times)

Night_Owl

Been researching SJW again (taken it in the past) however after researching more, I've read some concerning reports that SJW has the significant potential to cause irreversible eye damage over the course of time.  There is a connection between taking SJW and cataract formation, due to photosensitivity.

In the 2002 NHIS study, they found people with cataracts were 59% more likely to report SJW usage than not, after adjusting for other confounding factors.

Any thoughts on this?

[Yet again I'm thinking about taking a break from HRT due to progesterone intolerance - once again trawling through the archives of 'natural' remedies for support when/if things get rough, menopausal depression is a biggie for me.]

babyjane

Re: Is St John's Wort safe - re: photo-sensitivity / cataracts?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »

Hello Night Owl.

Well I have a cataract and I have used SJW long term.  I can't remember which came first, the cataract I think.  It was diagnosed about 10 years ago but has only started affecting my vision a little this last year.  I think I have used SJW for about 5 years.

It could be argued that the SJW may have caused the cataract to increase but at the time of diagnosis I was advised that I would probably notice it affecting my vision in about 10 - 12 years so it is on target according to that.

In fact your question has helped me answer one of my own that I posted about HRT and breast cancer. I am starting to see that these things are all relative  :)

I had the cataract anyway and it would eventually have grown but the SJW has helped me considerably as I cannot tolerate SSRIs.  I take it with my GPs blessing and I take the lowest dose (333mg) once a day.

Good luck with your decision x

Night_Owl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:08 AM »

Hi BabyJane

Thanks for your reply.

So you could deduce that taking long-term SJW hasn't really increased the density of the cataract ...

It is good that you have your GP's blessing to take SJW - do you mind me asking if (s)he mentioned the cataract connection?

Like you, I can't tolerate SSRIs or beta blockers etc - too many side ghastly effects -v- minimal benefit.

A while ago, I consulted a Nutritionist who recommended Rhodiola instead of SJW - she said it was more effective and gentler on the liver and didn't cause light sensitivity. Still pondering and researching.

Night_Owl
x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:29:05 AM »

My GP has never mentioned my cataract.  I was referred by my optician and apparently a cataract has to affect 65% of your sight before you can have the surgery.  My optician said this is just daft because it is such a simple operation if done early.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:22:42 PM »

In parts of mainland Europe St John's Wort is banned ……… it can be useful in low grade depression ……...

pj44

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:52:14 AM »

I have been taking a natural adaptor for about 5 years now It has certainly helped me do much with anxiety and panic attacks and also menopause. It's called. Filisa just put in Google search.

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:16:04 PM »

pj44 can i ask where you got this from as i cant seem to find anywhere that sells it ?

Night_Owl

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:19 PM »

That's interesting pj44 - Filisa - never heard of that one before - I'd be grateful to hear more about it and where to buy.  Thanks.

pj44

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »

Have you put in Filisa in Google it comes up easy. You will see where to buy it.. Message me if you problem finding it.