Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Early Menopause  (Read 4514 times)

Catina73

Early Menopause
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »

Hi ladies!

This is my first time on Menopause Matters.

I discovered last year at the age of 40 after 6 years on the pill that i had gone through my menopause when I decided to come off it.

My FSH levels were so high they read as post menopausal  :'(

It has been a roller coaster of events since the, which I won't bore you with too  much but, the fertility clinic i visited put me on HRT named Cylco Progynova which did not agree with me at all. I was only on it for 2 months and then I came off in February. I have tried to manage with out HRT but felt like I was loosing the plot. Anxiety, very low mood, hair loss, tiredness to name but a few.

I went back to my GP who has put me on a more general HRT Elleste duet 1 mg which I started on Friday.
Just wondered if anyone knows why HRT is so drastically different from the pill ( I never had any problems at all) and how they got on with Elleste duet?

dazned

Re: Early Menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »

Hello and   :welcomemm:

Cant help with the difference between hrt and contraceptives sorry but my first hrt was Estelle duet 1mg and I did very well with it for 4 years ,unfortunately finding one that suits you is just trial and error . Get yourself well informed by lookinh at all the topics and ask questions. At least you aren't alone now you will get loads of advice and support here.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:34:01 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Catina73
I had a premature menopause that started in my 30s - I'm now 59 and have been on and off HRt since then.
At your age you really need HRT to protect your heart and bones - also to help prevent other nasty problems due to oestrogen deficiency.
Do read up all the info on this site - there is a section on early ovarian failure.
Ellest Duet is often the first HRt preparation that doctors offer and many women are happy with this one but there are plenty to try - you can see a list under HRT Preparations on this site.  HRT is different to The Pill and most preparations have bio identical oestrogen these days so are quite natural. A popular HRt is Femoston (which has a kinder progesterone) so if Elleste doesn't suit you I'd try that one next.
Do check out the daisy network website as well.
It sounds as though you have had a rough time - do keep posting, we are here to support you.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »

Hi Catina73

:welcomemm: from me too.

Most varieties of the pill contains large amounts of synthetic hormones and provides contraception, and as Dancinggirl says HRT usually contains bio-identical oestrogen ( estradiol) and does not provide contraception.

As you are so young, you may well find that you need a higher dose especially up to the natural age of menopause of 51 or 52. Also you may also find that hair loss does not improve with Elleste becase the progestogen is one of the androgenic types derived from testosterone - so Femoston may well be better in this regard.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Anyway do hope you begin to feel better soon  :)

Hurdity x

lancashirelass

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 09:53:43 PM »

Utrogestan with a oestrogen patch or gel may be a better combination.  Bioidentical less side effects

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »

:welcomemm:  keep browsing, keep posting!

Catina73

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »

Thanks for all your replies and advice ladies. It's good to hear you guys are out there with lots of experience and more information than most GP's.
I had originally asked my GP for Femoston after I tried the horrible Cyclo Progynova, but i never cashed in the prescription.
Now i've started a week of Estelle Duet. My poor body must wonder what I'm up to!!! I know my brain does. I've got a split personality now  >:(  Ha ha!!!
I had read good reviews on Femoston, but when I went back to my GP last week asked which one do most women get on with she suggested Estelle. Its probably cheaper???!!!!
Why is contraception free and HRT a massive £16??? Especially if you've had an early menopause and its not so much choice but necessity that you take it. I lioke a good old grumble, even more so these days!! ;)

:)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

Oh a good grumble is part of the journey  ;D

You moan away - the rest of us do  ;)

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »

The tablets are half the price, one month of elleste solo (pill) costs normal prescription, whereas the same brand in a patch for one month was £17 !

Annie

Briony

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

If you liked the pill, have you considered Qlaira? It's a CCP but has bio identical estrogen more like HRT.  Not well known and expensive, but I am glad I pushed to have it.