Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: More Worry  (Read 4678 times)

libby1

More Worry
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »

Hi Girls

After reading the Daily Mail article on moles, I decided that I should get 2 blobs on my face checked.
Saw my gp this morning and they are solar keratosis which can turn into cancer if left  :'(
So, I've been given solaraze gel to use twice a day for 6 weeks which should get rid of them.
I know they're not cancerous but I'm stressed out  :(
Should I go and see a dermatoligist for advice? Or just do as my gp says?
Honeybun you've had one of these, anyone else?
Any advice?
Fed up with worrying, b----y peri  :cuss:

Libby
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: More Worry
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »

Do as your GP suggests.  You could back this up by speaking with the Pharmacist in your local store, they have Private Rooms now.  I am sure that if he/she thought it necessary, a referral to a Dermatologist would have been suggested.  Lots of treatments can be done by the GPs/Senior Practice Nurses these days.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »

Yes I had one on the side of my nose.

I just followed the docs instructions and now it's gone. The skin has not changed colour although it's slightly sensitive to touch. It looks brand new.

It is a bit uncomfortable to use the gel because basically you are burning it off. It will nip like a beast and you will get scabbing and peeling. Try to be quite precise when you put the cream. I did mine with a cotton bud. Depending on how big they are you might want to do them one at a time rather than having two scabs, mind you it would get it over with.

They are very common and easily treated and I really don't think seeing a dermatologist would result in any different treatement.

In a few weeks they will be gone.

Try not to worry, because it's nothing.....really.

Let us know how it goes and if you have anything else you need to ask just let me know.

Honeybun
X

libby1

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:20:38 PM »

Thanks girls

Honeybun, did you use solaraze gel? It sounds like the gel you used might have been stronger because I've put some on and it felt fine, the gp said it may become inflamed?
I know I probably wont get different treatment from the dermatologist, just panic a bit and I'm not that confident in gp's  ::)

It seems to be one worry after another at the moment  :-\

Libby
x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »

What makes you not confident in your GP? 

libby1

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »

Health anxiety probably  :-\ :'(

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »

Yes same stuff as you. It just gradually burns it off over the next few weeks. It's when the top layer comes off that it gets nippy because you are putting the gel on an open sore.

Try not to worry. The gel will do the trick and soon you will be bump free.

Honeybun
X

libby1

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:43:37 PM »

Oh that sounds like fun  :o

Can you use moisturiser in between using the gel? Or is it best to leave it alone?

Libby
x

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:48:40 PM »

I did not put anything on mine at all as it was scabby, heck that sounds attractive. I did dust a tiny bit of face powder over it.....dont think GP would have approved though. It just hid it a bit.

I generally put it on night and morning, then put my make up on in the morning as usual avoiding the sore nose.

My daughter kept telling me it wasn't that noticeable.....she lies beautifully  ;D

Still it doesn't last that long and the start and finish are fine as you can't really notice anything.

Honeybun
X

libby1

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 07:53:17 AM »

Hi Girls

Well I decided that I would go and see a dermatologist ( I know, I'm a worrier).

And guess what, it's not what the gp said it was, so I'm glad I went otherwise I would have been using the potent cream for 3 months when I didn't need to   :cuss:

It's apparently seborrheic keratosis, nothing to worry about  :banana:

Thanks for listening AGAIN!

Libby
x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 07:59:55 AM »

Glad you are feeling better about it.

What's the difference and can you use something to get rid of them or do you leave well alone.

Honeyb
x

libby1

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »

Hi Honeyb

Basically, the solar ones have a small chance of turning cancerous if left and the seborrheic ones don't. They're just an age thing (knew I was getting old!). I could have them scraped off (ouch) but they're not that noticable, so I'll leave well alone.

Libby
x

Morwenna

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »

I had one removed from my back as it was catching on my bra strap. My GP zapped it with dry ice. They are very common in older people and I have several - the only problem being they're not unsightly to start with but do grow larger, darker in colour and become rough in texture over the years.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »

Thanks for the update!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »

I've got loads of the benign ones on my arms and hands and must admit I was worrying that gp had got it wrong - they other name is seb.... warts although they are not warts at all.

Glad you've got same as me ;)