Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice please?  (Read 2528 times)

goodgrrs

Advice please?
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:07:08 AM »

Hi. I've just turned 41 and had a blood test almost a year ago that showed my hormone levels were low and 'menopausal'. I'd been back and forth to the dr for almost 5 years with erratic periods and various other menopausal symptoms but the drs kept telling me I was too young to be menopausal. Anyway, now they've decided I am and want to put me on hrt or the contraceptive pill. I have a few questions which I'm hoping you may be able to help me with ..

1) if I've been perimenopausal for 5 years and only have maybe 2-4 periods a year max now, is there any point in taking hrt now?
2)If I start taking hrt will I start having periods again?
3) I've had adverse reactions to the pill and mirena coil in the past so have avoided all hormone based medications. Hrt is hormones so I'm concerned about taking it anyway - are there any viable alternatives?
4) I'm fortunate not to have many symptoms other than erratic periods, itchy crawling skin and being very emotional. Would hrt actually help any of those things?
5) how easy is it to come off hrt if I do decide to take it? A big concern of mine is that everyone I know who has taken it seems to find it almost impossible to stop In the future and seems to have to essentially go through the menopause again. Being 6 years into my process, I'm not too keen to have to go through another 6 years or so again on the future...
6) if dropping hormones are the cause of erratic emotions then will the emotions get worse and carry on even once I'm through the menopause?
7) if menopause is a natural bodily function then is it wise to alter that by taking hormones to delay it? I understand the arguments about protecting from heart disease etc but is that benefit only statistically significant if you already are at risk of heart disease or are unfit or unhealthy or does it apply to everyone?

Lots of questions but my gp can't answer them or doesn't have the time to spend talking about it. Either way I've been undecided about how to proceed until I understand more about the benefits vs disadvantages (for me).

Has anyone got any insights or info on any of these questions?

Thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice please?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »

:foryou:  ………  :welcomemm:

There are lots of ladies who can give advice and share experiences about HRT.  We also have menus, top of screen about the various medications etc..

At 41 you need to protect your heart and bones so taking a form of HRT may be important.  Have a browse!

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:18 PM »

Hi Goodgrrs - Welcome to the forum   :welcomemm:

I've jotted some brief thoughts against your questions, hope they help.
Bear in mind, I'me not an expert.

1) if I've been perimenopausal for 5 years and only have maybe 2-4 periods a year max now, is there any point in taking hrt now?
Absolutely  - It helps so much in just feeling better in yourself, for me anxiety if very much reduced. And, like CLKD says it does protect your heart and bones

2)If I start taking hrt will I start having periods again?
Depends on the type of HRT, though I would assume you would need the sequi type which does give bleeds. Don't think you can have conti (no bleed) till you've been 2 years without periods

3) I've had adverse reactions to the pill and mirena coil in the past so have avoided all hormone based medications. Hrt is hormones so I'm concerned about taking it anyway - are there any viable alternatives?
There is information on here about alternatives. Local oestrogen HRT is very effective in dealing with vaginal atrophy and dryness. It has low doses of hormones and isn't absorbed systemically if used correctly

4) I'm fortunate not to have many symptoms other than erratic periods, itchy crawling skin and being very emotional. Would hrt actually help any of those things?
It certainly has for me

5) how easy is it to come off hrt if I do decide to take it? A big concern of mine is that everyone I know who has taken it seems to find it almost impossible to stop In the future and seems to have to essentially go through the menopause again. Being 6 years into my process, I'm not too keen to have to go through another 6 years or so again on the future...
It's like stopping any other medication. Bear in mind whilst taking it, many women find HRT improves their quality of life and don't find it easy to revert to their pre HRT state.

6) if dropping hormones are the cause of erratic emotions then will the emotions get worse and carry on even once I'm through the menopause?
Don't know. Not sure whether there are definite guidelines as to what happens at the end of menopause.  Remember all women are different

7) if menopause is a natural bodily function then is it wise to alter that by taking hormones to delay it? I understand the arguments about protecting from heart disease etc but is that benefit only statistically significant if you already are at risk of heart disease or are unfit or unhealthy or does it apply to everyone?
I've not seen the benefits qualified in that way

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM goodgrrs
I had a premature meno like you and really they should have put you on HRT sooner - you've had poor advice.
Up to the age of natural menopause (51-54) being oestrogen deficient can result in early onset osteoporosis and heart disease for any women. HRT will also prevent early vaginal atrophy and bladder problems - it also offers some protection from bowel cancer!!!!. So, I would say HRT is essential for you.
As to the menopause being 'natural' - well you are not going through the menopause at the normal and natural time and if you were 54 I'd say just weigh up your options regarding HRT. Emotionally one can feel more stable on HRT but some women need an SRRI alongside.
Finding the right HRT preparation that gives you the oestrogen you need can be tricky and you may have to "kiss a few frogs before you find your prince".  HRT is different from The Pill (most of them are more natural these days) but there are some tips that may avoid possible negative reactions that can happen. If you still have your uterus then you will need progesterone which will induce a monthly bleed but hopefully this will be light and unproblematic. It's the progesterone part of HRT that can bring some side effects so there are a variety to choose from. Many of us like the more natural bio identical progesterones e.g. Utrogestan (Micronised Progesterone) however this involves a separate oestrogen and has to be taken on an empty stomach which can cause some inconveniences.  A good alternative that many women like is Femoston Sequi which has a kinder progesterone and comes in two strengths so you can start on the low dose (which would be good in this peri meno stage) and possibly increase the dose as your hormone levels drop.
Don't worry about coming off HRT at this stage, just concentrate on getting the benefits and protecting your health for the long term. Sadly, those of us with premature meno often suffer the longest with meno symptoms - I'm now 59 and because of all the scares about HRT back in 2002 I took myself off HRT (so too soon) and suffered for 3 years before going back on - I now have vaginal atrophy and bladder problems due to oestrogen deficiency so I need to stay on HRT as long as I can to prevent further deterioration. My joints are also in trouble - I so wish I had been told to stay on HRT.
There is a lot of good info on this site including premature/early ovarian failure so soak up all this and get back to us with questions.
BTW - many GPs fob women off with the cheapest HRT preparations like Prempak or Ellest duet - this is why I suggest the Femoston as it is more likely to suit you. It takes about 3 months for things to settle down but you may be surprised how good you feel.
I hope that all helps.   DG x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »

:thankyou:  knew someone with experience would be along

goodgrrs

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »

Thank you all for your replies. I've been looking through the info on this site for a few months now but sometimes you just need to ask the questions to understand it all.  I might go back and talk to the gp now that I have some more info (she was an unqualified in training dr that I saw and all she could say to me was that I must take it but didn't know much info eg I knew more than her about bone density etc) and I might make an appt at a private clinic too just to make sure that in happy with the info for me before I decide which way to go

Thanks!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »

Let us know how you get on!