Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help wedding outfit needed  (Read 11980 times)

annieb

Help wedding outfit needed
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »

I know this isn't really meno related (apart from the way my body shape has gone awry) but thought one or two of you out there may be able to help
 At last an invitation to a wedding. I love a good wedding and have been waiting for our families  "next generation" to get round to it. Now I have a bit of a problem as of course I need to find something stunning to wear. Years of working from home have taken their toll on my wardrobe which is now full of very casual clothes. The odd summer dress and top but nothing weddingy (if there is such a word)
I had this idea of a lovely dress and jacket but trying on dresses has reminded me why I don't have many.  My middle has spread to a size 14 but my top has stayed at a size 12 so dresses that fitted beautifully round the hips are gaping at the top.
So maybe separates - but can I find a nice skirt - no way - so maybe trousers and jacket.   I also have 36" inside leg so finding trousers is not so easy- I've had a look in M&S but not been inspired and had a browse online to get some ideas. but not a great fan of buying clothes on line as do much prefer to try things on
Does anyone have any ideas ? 

Annie0710

Re: Help wedding outfit needed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »

Have you looked at Next online ? They cater for tall ladies and usually have a wide range of outfits

Annie

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:19:16 PM »

A few golden rules when buying a 'Special Occasion' outfit.
Buy something that you can wear at least 3 different ways and can be dressed up or dressed down for different occasions - this can be an expensive outfit so you need to get your moneys worth out of it. You are right to go for separates and I'd go to a good department store and simply try on a variety of different skirts and trousers till you find something you really love. Then see if that skirt or pair of trousers has a top that is supposed to go with it. Don't be frightened to go for plain neutral colours - patterns can sometimes be limiting and overpowering. Use accessories to make it special - a beautiful costume necklace or scarf and fun hat (if a hat is necessary).
Forget M&S - it's a disaster now - NEXT is much better. Brands like 'East' have lovely soft fabrics that are easy to wear - perhaps a flowing skirt cut on the cross that can be very flattering for long legs.  Monsoon is also good for taller ladies.
Sadly it's about doing some serious shopping and trying on plenty of things.  If you feel comfortable and confident in something then it will usually be right.
Good luck.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 03:06:01 PM »

How about - as mentioned in our other similar threads - arranging for a Personal Shopper?  If you do a search for P Shopper you'll see the threads.  I buy from catalogues too: cotton traders, Kaleiscope, and tend to go to boutique shops - pay more but more likely to wear again if the cut is good.  Prefer trousers/layering these days.  No skirts/dresses for me.

When we went to a Posh Party recently I wore a pair of peach coloured linen trousers teamed with a pale lemon floaty top and peach coloured scarf ……… white shoes and bag.  Turqouise ear rings, job done  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »

I need a wedding outfit for September so we can trade ideas.  I am a size 10-12 bust and waist then it all happens below that and am a 12-14 round the hips and bum.  I got a dress last year for my daughter's wedding but had to have it professionally altered which added to the cost so I am going for separates too this time as I am a guest this time with no responsibility to be on show.

I don't know whether you want high end items but I love David Emanuel at Bon Marche and BM do free personal shopping.  You get an hour and there is no obligation to buy anything unless you want to.  Country Casuals are also good as I am petite fitting - the opposite to yourself by the sound of it.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »

Oh I'm going to read replies with interest as will have son's next year.  Have already been having a look to see what's out there. Will need to take daughter or son's fiance with me when I do start looking seriously. Hubby would be useless, he'd get bored & say yes to first thing. Currently thinking JL, Hobbs. But there are a few shops tucked away in side streets. Will ask my friend which ones are best.

Annieb, my problem is I need size for boobs. Some garments just seem to hang from them, so I'll have to be very careful & get something quite tailored. Shift dresses suit me best. Anything with a waistline makes me look frumpy as I'm only 5'3". Debenhams have quite a range of designers too if you've got one near you.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »

I'm 5'3" too Cuba  :)

I had a tailored bolero jacket over my dress for daughter's wedding.  Jackets are always too long in the body but the bolero followed the line of my ribcage and seemed to give the impression of a little height.  Looked good in the photos anyway  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:03:21 PM by babyjane »

Galadriel

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »

Hi annieb,

Having just had a personal shopper experience (2hrs and free) at JL, I can highly recommend them... they take into account your budget and also take into account any shape concerns you may have.

Once you have your outfit sorted, treat yourself to a makeover at a makeup counter you feel comfortable with... Get them to show you makeup to go with the outfit for the big day.

Good luck

Galadriel x

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 06:09:46 PM »

that sounds good annieb, what do you think.

I wouldn't cope with 2 hours due to health issues and I cannot wear make up due to sensitivities but for anyone normal it sounds like a great idea  :)

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »

Check out Long Tall Sally website annieb. Maybe it would give you some ideas, even if you don't buy online. They have stores scattered around the country, so may be one near you.

annieb

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 04:13:37 PM »

Thanks ladies - some good ideas Hadn't thought about a personal shopper. I was offered this in Debenhams some years ago but was concerned about being pressured into buying things but maybe in the light of your comments I might give it a go. Good to be refreshed with names like Hobbs and country Casuals - shows how long it is since I've had a really good "new clothes shop".  Like CKLD outfit with the peach trousers and floaty top - Mind you being me I'd have something on the trousers within minutes  ;D. I've tried Long Tall Sally in the past but never been very successful as though they do cater for tall ladies the cut of their clothes tended to be for ladies who were tall and in proportion  - whereas I have unnaturally long legs in proportion to my height. sounds odd but we're all the same in my family  ::) So though the legs measurement at LTS are good the hip to waist is too deep so it ends with the waistband under my arms (well not quite but you know what I mean).   
Hubby is not a great companion when shopping - he's patient but simply won't offer an opinion. Think I'm not a great person to go shopping with anyway as I tend to meander so generally prefer to shop on my own. Have been doing a little bit of online research and have found a lovely jacket in Monsoon so may splash out on that if I can find a nice skirt or trousers to go with as the jacket will look good with less formal wear (eg jeans etc).  Oh the joys of it. 20 years ago I could just go out and buy and things just seemed to fit.  ::). Will update when I get sorted x

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »

Annieb - The jacket sounds good, if it fits, and you like it, get it, it will go with other items you own.
You may need to get other things for the wedding, but so be it.
When did you last splash out on yourself?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »

;D - I kept well away from grub and was careful with my glass of juice  ;)

annieb

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »

Limpy - it's been ages - money's been a bit tight and then I just got to the stage where I hated going shopping as I couldn't find anything that looked right (well not anything I could afford!)  Things are improving on the money front now and certainly feel like splashing out so am going to have a real treat.
;D - I kept well away from grub and was careful with my glass of juice  ;)
Ha ! good advice CLKD x