Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Lift the Lid Day  (Read 3785 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Lift the Lid Day
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »

…………. encouraging us to talk more about our bowels! Do we talk about them enough, certainly I keep a diary as to how mine work/don't; otherwise I forget if I've been or not  ::)

CJ-sleepless

Re: Lift the Lid Day
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »

Lol I don't quite keep a diary, but mine are erratic - I have diverticulitis so constipation or diarrhoea are a regular occurrence - never paid so much attention to my toilet habits when I was younger, took it all for granted ...oh for those days again

mazzy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:10:40 PM »

My Mom used to worry if she didn't have a bowel movement every day.  Think it was how older people were brought up  :D

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »

So did mine mazzy. If you didn't go, it was a dose of Japps health salts.  I go when I need to.  ::)

milly

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 06:50:22 AM »

This is close to my heart.

I have referred in the past to the fact I have an ileostomy, I had all my large intestine removed in 1985. I spent 2 years previously being told at 28 I was too young for bowel cancer.

In 2003 I had my rectum removed after suspicious cells were found and it was felt best to pre emp anything sinister..

We are too British over toilet matters, early detection is essential and life saving.

My father mentioned to me he thought he had IBS.at 83... Alarm bells rang, I got him to GP and he was fast tracked through system and had a large tumour, had an op.. recovered and is still playing golf at 86.

Be aware, dont be fobbed off, we all know our own bodies.

Remember Steven Sutton?..

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:20:26 AM »

I remember being made to sit on a potty full of warm water to induce a poo! Didn't work!  :o

Keeping a diary for a short period of time is useful, particularly noting diet and any stress factors. I forget though! I start with good intentions....... :(

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »

I've just this last week dragged my 24 year old son to the GP - they straight away said IBS but I insisted on at the very least some blood tests....one of which has come back "not right" so now he's having them repeated.  Please keep everything crossed that its nothing

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »

My brother slipped through the net regarding the home test kits & didn't get until he was 65. Just as well as he had precancerous polyps in his colon.  He's been treated & all is now clear. Our grandmother had bowel cancer in her late 70s/early 80s & had a bypass done. Gave her another few years. My mum suffered from diverticulitis. I do the tests when sent, have done since age 50. Hubby refuses point blank.

Fingers crossed CJ.

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »

I remember being made to sit on a potty full of warm water to induce a poo! Didn't work!  :o

Ha  Ha  ;D  Me too - by my grandmother in a room full of relatives at 4 years old.  The humiliation of it!!!!!!!!!!!  (didn't work for me either)

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »

My son was told he had IBS, but eventually was sent for a colonoscopy, during which they found he had Volvulus, twisted colon. If you think there is something more than IBS, be persistent and badger the doctor.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »

Oh don't remind me about cod liver oil and rose hip syrup (double)  :sick02:

Sennacot doesn't shift it for me, neither would sitting over warm water in a room full of adults have allowed me to produce a pooh neither  :-X - what did she think you were, an egg-bound hen  >:(  ::)

I keep a note of if or not, by evening I can't remember if my tummy isn't playing me up  ::) ……….