Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Periods stopped when taking B Complex, Berrocca and Spatone  (Read 2409 times)

Vanessa52

Periods stopped when taking B Complex, Berrocca and Spatone
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »

Hi
I'm 53 and still having regular periods, although I do have menopause symptoms.

After a recent blood test my doctor told me to take iron supplements. I was talking to the chemist who suggested I get Spatone and Berrocca, so I did. I also found out through 23andme dna testing that I have a defective gene that stopped me processing B12 properly, so I got a B complex from Holland and Barretts.

So I feel fantastic and 'normal' for the first time in ages, but my periods have stopped. Just worried I might be doing some damage with all the supplements, but I do feel full of energy for a change.

Any advice or experience welcome x

Maryjane

Re: Periods stopped when taking B Complex, Berrocca and Spatone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »

I was taking spat one twice aday.......and I am now on the slow relaese feroglobin B12/6 and zinc pills has not affected periods at all......but like you I feel great lots of energy.......my iron reserves are very low and trying over the counter stuff as the others cause my constipation and that must not happen with my pelvic pain nerve problems.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Vanessa52
Don't worry the vitamin supplements will not be having a negative influence on your hormones.  I expect your periods would have stopped anyway.  You may find your periods come and go for a while or become erratic and this is quite normal at 53.  If you are feeling good then that's great.
Do read up all the info on this site and get clued up.
Keep us posted.  DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »

Hello Vanessa52 and welcome to the forum.

I wonder if your doctor has ruled out the diagnosis of pernicious anaemia as this condition prevents B12 absorption and is treated by three monthly injections.

Wishing you well.

K.

Vanessa52

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »

Thank you for your replies. It turns out that I do have pernicious anemia caused by the defective gene and I'm now getting treatment.

Still no periods, slight amount of PMT when second one was due but so far so good :-)

Thanks again x