Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Eye Tests  (Read 8420 times)

Machair

Eye Tests
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »

Does anyone else hate going for eye tests? I have to go every year as I also wear contacts. I think it is very stressful especially that dot test where you have to say how many you can see each time on a screen. Feel worse about it since Meno - anyone else dislike it?

Annie0710

Re: Eye Tests
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »

Do you mean the Field Test ?
I'm a contact lens wearer but my eyes are really playing up lately and I've been referred

I failed my field test few weeks ago and had to do another (I passed) but that week not knowing if they were going to contact DVLA was worrying

On the whole though I don't find opticians visit stressful, unlike doctors and dentist !
Xx

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »

Only time I've had field test done is at eye clinic. Normally at optician's I get the one where you have to look at a hot air balloon, the puff test & then actual eye test. Mind you I only wear glasses for reading, so maybe that's why.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »

I dread going in case I need new glasses, which is can't afford!

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »

I think it is very stressful especially that dot test where you have to say how many you can see each time on a screen. Feel worse about it since Meno - anyone else dislike it?

Hate it - loathe it.

I'me a lens wearer as well. My optician takes the eye tests very seriously as my mum had glaucoma.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »

That's the only time I've had the Field Test, but I think they were concerned because of this sudden double vision I am getting so under hospital as well now
Xx

bramble

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »

I get all the tests at the opticians as I have had eye problems and they like to keep an eye on me, as it were!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:57:42 PM »

I had my 2 year exam. today.  Instead of the puffy to check pressure the Optician put local drops into both eyes then moved a piece of equipment closer and closer until it touch my eye  :o  ………   :-\

Did you have that ever?

My eyes feel gritty now  :(.  Have to have long distance as well as new readers (and nope, not going for bifocals ;-) )  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »

Hubby gets his done yearly. They put drops in his eyes and then send him away for a while until his pupils are fully dilated. He looks so weird at that point.
They take a lot of time with him because he is diabetic.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 10:11:14 PM »

I didn't have to wait which I thought was strange  :-\ - I prefer the puffer test.

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 02:26:18 PM »

I had my 2 year exam. today.  Instead of the puffy to check pressure the Optician put local drops into both eyes then moved a piece of equipment closer and closer until it touch my eye  :o  ………   :-\

Did you have that ever?

Yep - Much prefer it to the air puffer.
Have it checked every year as Mum had Glaucoma.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »

I am partially sighted having beein born with very severe short sight so have spent my life with people peering into my eyes ;D
I don't like the puffer but then again have had the other one as well and not happy having something touching my eyeball either ( can't win can they!).
The worst test I had was to make sure my retina was attached all the way round and the chair I was on was tipped back so my head was lower than my body and then he pushed under my eyeballs all the way round with a prodder. It wasn't painful as such but felt very very awful. He apologised at how weird a test it is. 
I have cataracts in both eyes and the gel inside my eyes has collapsed and gone cloudy, they theoretically can operate on me but there is big risk they will blind me.  The retinal surgeon I see said in a really upbeat voice that if I decide to risk the operation then the good news is he can do both a vitrectomy and cataratct surgery and lens implant under local anaethetic, he got a very horrified face in return with the comment " is it compulsory to be awake".  When he had stopped laughing at my expression he said not if you don't want to be - thats me then out for the count one day.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »

Eyes are precious.  I think care has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »

Yes my retinal surgeons tells me to wait as long as I can as the risks get less as time goes on for me. 
Mind you I keep moving he goal posts, when I could drive I always said when I could not I would risk it and then when I had to stop driving it was when I can't read, I now have a kindle as i cannot read normal print etc etc. Its amazing how we adapt to changes and get used to them except when i fall off kerbs because I cannot see them >:(

getting_old

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 11:53:04 PM »

I'm very short sighted and wear contact lenses, however the ones I've been wearing have been discontinued and my current optician has incredibly limited knowledge / is totally useless when it comes to contacts so I'll be looking for another one in a few months time when my stock of lenses gets low.
Over the years I've got used to the dye in the eye but still hate the puffer and tend to flinch at the wrong time meaning it has to be repeated  :(
Pages: [1] 2 3