Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopause/B12 or both ?  (Read 2751 times)

Annie0710

Menopause/B12 or both ?
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:35:46 PM »

I get more confused the more I try to analyse what is going on with me, but nothing ever seems straightforward, this topic is because of a reply I received on my 'burning mouth syndrome' thread

Background:
No real problems hormonally until aged 16 when the contraceptive pill I was given was too high, it was changed to a 3 strength per month dose and I stayed on that all during non pregnancy times.

Pregnancies: 1st normal healthy birth.   2nd:early miscarriage.  3rd: forced termination of pregnancy @19 weeks due to multiple congenital abnormalities (anencephaly ). 4th: failed twin pregnancy ending in normal healthy single birth.  5th: failed twin pregnancy ending in normal healthy single birth. (Early scan on preg 4 showed bicornuate uterus and that I very possibly ovulated from both ovaries very often (maternal great grandmother had about 4 twin births)

Slight PND (untreated after preg 4, but was only 13 months after losing my baby girl, so kind of understandable)

Age 32, hysterectomy due to prolapse from preg 3

Age 33, ovarian failure - bloods confirmed, 1mg  elleste solo made me right again, within weeks symptoms back so was put on 2mg elleste solo, sorted ! (No trials of different hormones, first try worked) and have been taking it now for 15 years

No further problems hormonally until age 45 (or maybe not hormonal)? When I started to feel very weak, tearful, gum problems, dizzy, foggy brain, aching muscles and joints, didn't feel like my legs could bear my weight, loss of libido,tinnitus,  palpitations etc so many I can't remember them all.  Initial tests showed B12 at 197 (at the time uk normal range was 211-911) so they said I was borderline and didn't need treating and sent me on my way, I kept going back, saying there is something wrong that isn't being picked up so they sent me to cardiologist who acknowledged I had arrythmia (no treatment) ENT who said I had slight hearing loss in my left ear but no treatment.

For almost 3 years I've battled this (for most of the time buying b12 pills from internet but stopped about 3 months ago)

Oct 2014- (age 48) whilst on holiday abroad I noticed my tan was patchy, brown tan with white blotches and put this down to aging.  Nightly foot and toe cramps developed along with painful right knee and as well as right hip pain.  Lower back troublesome, UTIs, all symptoms from 3 years ago still ongoing.  Asthmatic and short of breath often especially doing simple things, quite rapid  weight loss, gums  still receding despite seeing private dentist and hygienist very regularly and having a strict teeth cleaning regime, and now this 6th nerve palsy, eyesight keeps going blurry and optician said my eyes have deteriorated slightly. But recently the vaginal dryness has been problematic. 

So I assumed this was all menopause, and the bloods confirmed it, what has confused me is that B12 deficiency and menopause symptoms overlap each other so much, apart from (I think) the eye nerve paralysis and the white spots on my skin. 

I am going to have to get this sorted and get my B12 tested again and if it's borderline I will kick up a fuss if they say to leave it untreated, as potentially I could be putting hormones in my body that I don't need or self medicating the wrong thing in desperation to relieve me of these symptoms I am having.

Is it possible that I am having a bad menopause when I've never naturally suffered hormone problems before ? I'm just getting concerned that if most of this is B12 related and not treated I am allowing irreversible damage to my body

I'm not having mood swings, and don't feel i am depressed, but it is getting me down, I just feel I'm hitting my head against a brick wall, I just want the correct treatment for the correct condition

Forgot to mention horrible fatigue and general 'worn out' look !
Xx
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:51:42 PM by Annie0710 »

Dancinggirl

Re: Menopause/B12 or both ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »

Hi Annie0710
I am not a doctor and I think only a doctor who is looking at you in an holistic way and having done full bloods etc. would be able to advice you fully but my view is that when we get to late 40s and beyond a good all round supplement is sensible even if we think we are having a good diet.  B12 is a very important vitamin so something like Menopace has a good amount of that and also Vitamin D which is another vital vitamin for energy and many other things.  The only good source of Vitamin D is sunshine and most of us don't get enough especially in winter.  My brother-in-law is a consultant gastroenterologist and he is convinced that we should all be taking vitamin D3 throughout the winter months and throughout the summer if you are unable to get enough sun every day.
Have you had your thyroid checked recently? This is often a problem at this stage in our lives and could be the cause of your fatigue.
As to hormones - have you had your oestrogen levels checked recently?  You may not be absorbing it that well in the pill form and trying a patch or gel might be a good idea as it tends to absorb better trans-dermally. At 48 it is still advisable to use some oestrogen and in fact the protective factors or oestrogen for the heart and bones are very important up to the age of 50-55 and as you don't have a uterus there is no reason why you can't continue getting the benefits for many years as the risks tend to be related to HRT that includes progesterone which you don't need.
I am a dentists daughter and whilst I am not an expert I can tell you that receding gums are often to do with ageing and lack of oestrogen with the menopause - just keep cleaning your teeth well and get regular checks.
Vaginal dryness can be helped with some addition local oestrogen like Vagifem so I would definitely ask for that and I use vaginal moisturisers all the time despite still being on Full HRT and local oestrogen..
If you have a GP at your surgery that you feel you can trust, make a double appointment to really discuss things fully.
Keep us posted.  Dg x

Sphere27

Re: Menopause/B12 or both ?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »

Hi
You definately need b12! Hope he checked your ferratin and folate too. I ended up going and getting b12 privately as I was borderline too. However if you look up NICE guidelines and you
Displaying symptoms Eso neuro then they need to reconsider. You in the UK? My meno still giving
Me problems but think at least now b12 is stable. At the time I should have been more vocal but just accepted what GP said! Your folate level needs to be ok for b12 to be utilised properly
Or folic acid needed.
Good luck.
Pernicious anaemia society can give u lots of info