Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My vitamin D allergic reaction?.  (Read 10060 times)

Sarai

My vitamin D allergic reaction?.
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »

I think I'm writing this piece as advice or just to say it yet again.
Having been through a very tough patch culminating in surgery, which may well have altered my body chemistry, I was diagnosed as vitamin D deficient in February.
I was given 40000iu weekly. Though within guidelines, seemed a bit steep to me, especially as my packet said 20000 per two weeks.
Anyway not long after taking first dose I suffered shaking, I foolishly thought its meno anxiety. I then became very weak and more shaky. Started to think this is a sign I really need vitamin D. This progressed to low blood sugars, every 5 minutes, pins and needles, ****ly heat sensation. Loss of appetite, the runs, funny taste. I nearly went to A&E I thought I was dying. I do wish I had.
I simply missed it.
I plodded on for 4 weeks, life feeling like it was over, anxiety, shaking weakness, weight loss. I asked for an early blood test and my levels were already near top of optimum, I had already de iced to stop them as I was getting more ill.
4 weeks after stopping them I am slowly recovering, but decided to report the symptoms to the makers who initially said non of it could be vitamin D related. However he did eventually concede that it would most likely have caused my chronic low sugars as I already had low sugars. He decided I had an allergic reaction to something in it and I would take at East 8 weeks to leave my system.
I have thought I was going mad these last months and been so frightened by my weakness and shaking and anxiety. I have felt do alone trawling the net trying so hard to find an explanation for the dreadful way I felt. All the docs said the vitamin could not have caused the problem, yet I. Was normal the day before.
 I just wish I had gone to A&E and maybe I would have stopped at 1 dose.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:33:46 PM by Sarai »

Dancinggirl

Re: My vitamin D allergic reaction?.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »

You must be a very unusual case as Vitamin D has been extensively researched and there are no known adverse affects, although at large doses I believe there can be some effect on the urinary system. You may have come down with a nasty virus (thats what your symptoms sound like) as I had one recently that made me feel really shaky and unwell and left me feeling weak for some time - there have been some horrid viruses going round.  Vitamin defiency can make you feel weak and tired.
If you are really worried about taking Vit D again then you must try to get out in the sunshine without sunscreen for around 15- 20 mins a day, every day, so you keep you levels up.   DG x 

rosebud57

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »

I have to say that as someone who avoids meds if at all possible, anything I do take even if prescribed, I would seek advice if a reaction occurred.  I have been known to halve the first dose just to be sure (not for antibiotics).

I do take vits and minerals but never ever more than the recommended max.   

As individuals we must be careful not to leave our health entirely in the hands of our docs.  Ultimately we are responsible for our own health and well being.  I read a newspaper article by a doctor at the weekend in which he said that at med school they were told that half of what they are taught is NOT TRUE.  The problems is that no one knows which half.  In other word a lot of medicine is trial and error so doctors can't always be blamed when things go wrong.

We have to listen to our bodies and make decisions for ourselves, and not rely on our GPs to get it right, even half of the time.

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »

Have found this for you as it gives a list of foods with good VD3

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

Also cod liver oil has D3 and is a good source.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »

I was told to take 25ug D3 which is higher dose of the pills available at chemists and supermarkets (daily dose is usually 5/10ug).  There is also a spray with the same dose that you can get from health food shops. (The u is in place of the Greek letter mu and means micrograms).  I am  not sure about iu - I think it is about 1000iu
( http://www.nafwa.org/vitamind.php )

I was told if you needed more than this, then you got injections.

This is the only website I can find that it is helpful - I think it is Australian.  http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/am-i-getting-too-much-vitamin-d/

I have not found any side effects from taking the 25iu.  After 6 weeks, my aching went and I felt much happier in myself (it has an effect on how you use thyroxine in the cells).  However, if I stopped it, it all came back after a week.  Now that spring is here, I am sunbathing for 20 minutes/day on the (well screened) patio  ;D.  Sun is the best thing.

Sardines on toast are a good lunch - toast some nice wholemeal bread on one side and until dry, but not coloured on the other.  Put a little butter on and a layer of mashed sardines in tomato sauce.  Then put back under the grill until hot.  For a change, my friend likes the ones with garlic and chilli - I don't  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »

PS - sorry you have had such a bad time over the last few months.  Hope the summer brings better health.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »

It could have been a reaction to the coating on the tablets?  However, try to get more sunshine now that the weather is warmer, as that is really all the VitD that we require!  It has been round that ladies who wear the burka etc. are low on VitD in this country because they don't have the same opportunities of sitting outside where they won't be seen by un-related men - also because children were being carted to School by vehicle instead of walking, rickets were becoming a problem!

Gardening, skipping, cycling, walking ………. early morning or evening but out of very hot sunshine should top up levels adequately.

It's awful when our bodies get upset  :bighug:

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »

I think I spent too much time on the computer and not enough in the garden  :-\  Lesson learned  8)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:44:27 AM »

I take my lap-top outside  ;)

Sarai

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »

Rosebud57 I too always question meds. But I took what was recommended. My GP then went away for a month. I did speak to 3 other GPS in that time all they said was, up my antidepressants and have you been refered for counselling?
I have kicked myself a hundred times for not stopping sooner but I could find nothing on the net to suggest that the vitamin D was doing it. Still docs don't believe me, even the makers dispute it.
I wish I had gone to A&E but I really thought I must have had some kind of breakdown, with all the trauma I had just been through.
Now I have the long dark pit of ill health to climb out of.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 08:15:13 PM »

Sarai - could your GP have been worried about the low vitamin d level because of your autoimmune disease? I see from having a quick look around the internet that sufferers of  Hughes Syndrome (which seems to be what you have?) suffer from low levels of vitamin d which can lead to thrombosis.

Taz x

Sarai

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »

Taz2 I don't think the GP knows much about APS to be honest most don't. My level was 18 so he jumped and followed NHS guidleines. My consultant thinks my Sjogrens being active is what may have knocked the vitamin d down. However I was unaware of being low. I certainly was not feeling ill at all before my op in January. And I have felt dreadful since taking the stuff. Having my levels in range has done nothing for me at all.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:23:29 PM »

It certainly sounds a nasty syndrome to have Sarai. Maybe you should print off the details from the Hughes Syndrome website to educate him!! 

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 05:15:31 AM »

Sorry you reacted so badly.  I was told yesterday that my vit D level was also 18.  I have to see the nurse next week and I have a feeling I will be given the injection.  Your story has added to my anxiety, but then I tend to worry about paracetamol so would worry anyway.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »

toffecushion - I wouldn't worry, what happened to Sarai must be extremely unusual as Vitamin D is not only a vital vitamin but taking it is considered very safe. Low Vit D will cause many nasty problems so you may feel much better once your level is up a bit.  DG x
Pages: [1] 2 3