Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: CAN ONLY TASTE SUGAR AND SALT !  (Read 4902 times)

mich

CAN ONLY TASTE SUGAR AND SALT !
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »

Oh dear. I'm gaining weight, I can blame Hrt (I don't think so anyway) I've been on Elleste Duet 2mg now since January and have gained a stone in weight. Not sure if my symptoms are just the menopause in general or something to do with the Hrt or just my damned age, 55. ! But I just can't taste anything unless it's got salt, no good for me I know, or sugar, no good for me I know ! I know my weight gain is down to what I am putting in my mouth. Also lots of foods which I once enjoyed are upsetting my stomach which was once made of cast iron. For instance oats, I love oats but they are causing pain in my tummy now.. Pineapple causes me to bloat to pregnant mode. Nothing tastes like anything but my instinct to eat is over riding and I'm just foraging for stuff I can taste. On the plus side I now absolutely love apples and oranges !

Has anyone else experienced this at all. I would love to hear your experiences xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: CAN ONLY TASTE SUGAR AND SALT !
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

When I took the Pill I could only smell garbage smells, it wasn't until after I stopped taking it and noticed that suddenly, polyanthus and roses had a scent.

Tamoxifen my taste buds altered.  DH had made a Dundee cake: it was in a tin with a lid on, in a shut cupboard but each time I walked by I could smell it - even the 2 tablespoons of water he had used to mix with.  Other foods stuffs were acute, so badly that I couldn't eat at all - the drug almost killed me.

Have a chat with a GP or Pharmacist in case this could be a sign of something 'else'.  Other conditions can cause the symptoms you describe.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »

Have you lost your sense of smell as well? Have you checked this out with your doctor, as it can be caused by other conditions. My Dad has this problem, but as he is nearly 90, it is the result of ageing. But he would fully sympathise with you as he has always loved his food. He even enjoys my cooking!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »

Hormones.

When I was pregnant nothing tasted as it should. Now going through peri menopause a lot of foods have lost their savour for me. Nothing ever tastes as good as I hoped. Appetite is very hit and miss. I often feel very hungry but when I come to actually eat I don't enjoy it and end up pushing the plate away. This is exactly how I was when pregnant too.

mich

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 03:18:49 PM »

I knew you would have some great thoughts and ideas. Sense of smell ? Do you know I hadn't thought of that and more worryingly I don't know. I will have to be more aware of my sense of smell, I'm working on that one now.
And that you describe it's not quite doing it for you. Yes that's it nothing tastes as good as you hoped. And relate that to the hormonal changes whilst pregnant like you say, I couldn't bear the smell of the cleaning fluid they used in the ladies I used to have to go to another building to use the facilities ! The smell of basil would make me nearly vom. And in fact still does.
The menopause they say is like being a teenager being pregnant and all this on the top. Thank you guys. !!! Xx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »

When I was pregnant I tried dozens and dozens of different and new dishes hoping that something would really spark my appetite. But nothing ever did. I wasted so much food both at home and when eating out. But nothing hit the spot and I never found what I was looking for  :-\

I suppose it stands to reason that a similar phenomena should manifest again now my hormones are fluctuating all over the place.

mich

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »

Oh GypsyRL. You were looking for something to spark your appetite yes you made me thing maybe my appetite has gone but because I am such a monkey with food, years of dieting :-( I just keep eating regardless.   I need to tap into my appetite and stop searching I think. If I'm really hungry what I eat 'should' be more satisfying.  Thank you for making me think. And yes these hormones are playing a major part in that x

Sparkle.  Yours was extreme wasn't it. That low blood sugar that's another thing. And the migraines. I too suffer from migraines and when they start I crave sweet carbs, assuming that's the needing to get the blood sugar back up quickly. I have seen some posts on here about eating and keeping bs levels up by eating lots of low Gi foods to keep it level that could help with the mood thing too I suppose. ! That would be good.

Oh the digestion. !!! Yes I understand. Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts on this. This menopause thing as it's grrrrrrr.  It's good to talk. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »

It's good to talk  ;)

Also - what are you eating? I recently altered from toast to granola at breakfast and I no longer need a mid-morning bun!