Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy ?  (Read 3980 times)

Amandajane46

Hysterectomy ?
« on: April 03, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »

Thinking of asking for Hysterectomy these hormones are a nightmare keep falling asleep n the head aches health anxiety with everything else I thought once on HRT they would go they have got better n some symptoms have gone I'm on evorel 50 n merina coil but still bleeding for 5/6 days n a lot of pain from ovaries . pounding head ache n falling a sleep Dr did blood test for the tiredness but all came back ok I'm also getting large vaines on my legs due to hormones . my levels seem to be all over the place . Thinking if I have hysterectomy my levels wont fluctuate up n down n the HRT will work better ?

Taz2

Re: Hysterectomy ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:48:33 PM »

I think a hysterectomy is something to think long and hard about Amanda. You would also have to have your ovaries removed which would put you straight into surgical menopause. There is no guarantee that you would find an HRT which would really suit you and once removed they can't be put back. This is a major operation.

How many types of HRT have you tried? It can take a while to find the right one and it would be so much better to preserve your uterus and ovaries if you possibly can. I had my hysterectomy last summer due to prolapses and although I have recovered well, according to the surgeon, things are not the same. I have more bowel problems for instance where the bowel has dropped into the space left by the womb and it is still in the process, apparently, of settling down. I have lost a lot of core strength too and I've got another small prolapse. Up to 40% of women suffer a prolapse after hysterectomy (for whatever reason the op is performed) due to the fact that the uterus is a muscle and sort of anchors things into place. You also have to consider your future sex life. Although there is not much discussion on this by the consultants when they arrange a hysterectomy there is a lot of evidence from hysterectomised women that removal of the womb does affect orgasm. The uterus is a muscle and contracts during orgasm - no uterus no contractions so no deep waves of pleasure.

I appreciate that at the moment you feel this may be your only option but please don't be hasty.

Taz x

Amandajane46

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »

I also have double prolapse  and tilted womb waiting on op for this now what about just overies removed will this cause same problems x

lancashirelass

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »

Completely agree with taz surgical meno is not a walk in the park.  I only had mine as i could not.keep endo at bay.  You need to make sure you are witha good.surgeon and someone who knows about.hormone replacement if.you do go ahead. 

dogdoc

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »

Amanda. I've more than once considered it myself but there's no going back if it's terrible.

I will say that my gyn wanted to put me on Lupron (gnrh agonist)for this reason. It chemically puts you into full menopause. Then you 'add back' hrt. This eliminates the hormonal fluctuations and you get to do a 'test run' on what menopause is like. This particular gyn would have just left me on these shots for a decade if it worked but another gyn I spoke with said he'd do a test run of the gnrh and if it worked then would do ovariohysterectomy.

At one time I was desperate enough to consider this as an option but against both of their advice decided to try hrt first.

Still something to think about long and hard but it's fully reversible and might let you know if a hysterectomy is the right decision for you.

Tara

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »

My hysterectomy was performed over 20 years ago, although ovaries remained for a further 10 years. It was recommended as I had cysts & fibroids, causing pain. Ovaries then removed due to severe pain, this time adhesions.  Give it lots of thought first.

I might have been lucky, but didn't suffer bowel problems, apart from lactose problems which was unrelated. Didn't have problems with orgasms either.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »

Pleased about your orgasms CG  ;D  There's more than one type of course. The clitoral ones remain but the deeper rhythmic uterine ones are obviously gone which can be very upsetting if it's not explained at the time of deciding whether to go ahead with surgery or not - especially for young women.

Amandajane - what's prolapsed? Is it bowel and bladder or uterus and bladder or bowel. I had a tilted uterus too which only caused me painful labours but otherwise no problems.

Taz x

Amandajane46

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »

Bowels and bladder  and also have fibroids x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »

Taz  ;D I'm happy to take what I can get!   But you're correct they don't tell you these things.

Linsey44

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »

I had hysterectomy due to pain, prolonged bleeding and adenomyosis - best thing i ever done.  Left ovaries but a year later had them taken out as well due to BRCA2 gene. Absolutely no regrets.

As i am on hrt i assume my meno symptoms wont kick in till i have to stop.  Will cross that bridge when i come to it.

I decided very quickly with both ops  approx 2 weeks from telling consultant i would go ahead to the actual op date, meant that i didnt over analyse it.  I appreciate that everyone is different and approaches it differently just do what is right for you.

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »

I had a hysterectomy 16 years ago for uterus, bladder and bowel prolapse.  I kept my ovaries but they went into shock less than a year after and I was prescribed hrt

My periods were very heavy and I couldn't wear tampons, it was a regular thing that I'd have to leave work to go clean up after a gush including clots would leak through my trousers

I tried the ring to support but that was uncomfortable, during my last labour I had to have the cervix pushed back, I didn't suffer any ptoblems with orgasms
Xx

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »

I think that AmandaJane is hoping to relieve the PMT type symptoms

Thinking of asking for Hysterectomy these hormones are a nightmare keep falling asleep n the head aches health anxiety with everything else I thought once on HRT they would go they have got better n some symptoms have gone I'm on evorel 50 n merina coil but still bleeding for 5/6 days n a lot of pain from ovaries . pounding head ache n falling a sleep Dr did blood test for the tiredness but all came back ok I'm also getting large vaines on my legs due to hormones . my levels seem to be all over the place . Thinking if I have hysterectomy my levels wont fluctuate up n down n the HRT will work better ?

I think this is a difficult question to answer to be honest.

Taz x  :-\