Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: A year on Oestrogel and the hot flashes have returned!  (Read 3755 times)

Badga

A year on Oestrogel and the hot flashes have returned!
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »

Hi folks

A year now on two daily pumps of Oestrogel and Mirena coil and all good up until now.  Recently started to have one major hot moment in the night.  Then two to three.  Now starting to happen in the day as well.  Anyone got any idea what is happening please?

Xx

Dancinggirl

Re: A year on Oestrogel and the hot flashes have returned!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:54:52 AM »

Hi Badga - If you started the HRT regime when you were still peri menopausal or perhaps your periods had stopped quite recently, then your own hormones may have dropped or bottomed out and you are now needing a bit more oestrogen. You could just try increasing you dose a bit - so if you use 2 pumps in the morning, use half to one pump in the evening or vice versa.  That's the beauty of having the Mirena, you can  increase or decrease oestrogen without worrying about adjusting your progesterone.  DG x

Badga

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl

I am not happy about exceeding the dose of oestrogen.  The prescribed dose by the BNF is two pumps once daily.

Badga x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »

Maybe need to change to a patch for oestrogen. I had to change from gel to patch a few years back. Been much better on patch.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »

Lots of ladies on here use more than 2 pumps of estrogel with the backing of their gp/consultant,the Korean coil is protecting your lining.
A patch would ensure a constant dose of estrogen as with the gel it's a bit hit and miss how much your body is absorbing. Sometimes more than other so it's not constant. Also as we get older our own levels are constantly dropping so what worked last year might need upping now.

Dana

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 02:23:35 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl

I am not happy about exceeding the dose of oestrogen.  The prescribed dose by the BNF is two pumps once daily.

Badga x

That was the dose prescribed for your symptoms at that point in time, but as Dancinggirlsaid, it's possible you now need a higher dose. Exactly the same thing happened to me during my earlier meno journey. I was on a low dose tablet, which worked perfectly for about 9 months, but then all my symptoms returned. It turned out I just needed to go to a medium dose.

There is nothing harmful about increasing your dose. Everyone has to use a bit of trial and error when it comes to HRT doses. Just try what Dancinggirl has suggested and see if that improves how you feel, or talk to your doctor if you still feel a bit uncomfortable about it.