Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello..... I think the time has come!  (Read 3672 times)

Laine

Hello..... I think the time has come!
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »

Hi all, I've been lurking for the past week or so as I believe I may have reached that dreaded time.

I haven't had a period for two months which I know is early days but I've always been as regular as clockwork.  Looking back I think I've been peri menopausal for the last four years which is when I started suffering with heart palpitations and anxiety, however over the last few months other symptoms have crept their way into my life!

I feel like a woman of 80 most days with aches and pains particularly in my upper arms, if I sit still for too long I have to hobble for a bit until my legs start working again. I'm forgetful, my words get jumbled, my skin is drier, I get hot flushes, headaches and my emotions are all over the place! I even cried at something on the Jeremy Kyle show the other day!

I can cope with most of these but the not being able to sleep properly at night is getting to me. I go off easily enough but then from the very early hours I'm so restless throwing the duvet off because I'm too hot only to drag it back over me when I get cold! I honestly can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep  :(

I'm 48yrs old and feel older!  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello..... I think the time has come!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »

:bighug:   sounds 'about normal' from where I'm sitting  ::)

Have a browse of the menus, top of screen. Ask away!  I too hobble after sitting for a while, sometimes I'm bent over too and have to hold onto a chair to get upright …….. and don't get me started on that woman staring back from a shop window  :o !

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »

:welcomemm:

I was exactly the same age as you when my issues started. Periods went for months only to return for six months and then went again. I gave up and started HRT, of course it's a very personal decision. For me it gave me good sleep and no flushes and the ability to cope again.
Have a browse around.
Check out the menus at the top for treatment options, both HRT and alternative.

You are not alone, your not going mad.....welcome to peri.

Honeyb
x

dazned

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »

:welcomemm:

Hi you are in the right place for help and support. We 've all been there or still there so we know how miserable it can be . So look around and ask away or tell us what might have help you .

Laine

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »

Thank you  :)

It's so nice to be able to have someone to talk to  :)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »

Laine  :welcomemm:

Taz  :)

Laine

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:33:25 AM »

Thanks for the welcomes  :)

Pixiegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »

Re your sleep issues I've had great joy with Sage tea at night. It's rather disgusting but it seems to tackle the sweats and I find that it's oddly better to wear a baggy Tshirt. When u wake hot,fling the covers off and the Tshirt should allow u a good kip before you get too cold and wake up again. Also if u r sweaty you can take it off and the bed will still be dry and so will u. I've taken Mellisa for sleep as well, slightly less potent then anything with Valariun in it which always leaves me with a hangover the next day. Sleep is pretty important to my sanity and if possible I would recommend a power nap in the day.

Laine

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »

I try and have a nap during the day when my shifts allow it. I've also got rid of my alarm clock so I don't keep watching it and get even more stressed, I just use the alarm on my mobile and don't look at it during the night.

Can't stand tea but I try and have a warm milky drink. It's not the getting to sleep its trying to stay asleep that I can't seem to do at the moment. Hoping that now I've started exercising a bit more it might help a bit?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »

Exercise won't do any harm.  Accepting that if we wake in the early hours it doesn't matter is hard work! but I did eventually - but I am able to doze in the afternoon if necessary.

caz24

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »

Hi Laine

I am the same age as you and have also just recently realised that I've probably been going through this for the last 3 or 4 years, at least that explains a lot of my weird moods and rages! along with all the other symptoms you've mentioned. I haven't had a period since December but can see from other ladies that this is normal and they may start again. I have been taking starflower oil for a long time now (I initially started taking it because of sore boobs before my period) and I have read on here that it has helped some women with hot flushes too. However, I started getting night sweats which as you say are horrible and a friend recommended Menopace so I've been taking that for about 3 weeks and I have to say that for me and for now that's helped a lot and I've been able to get a decent nights sleep. Worth a try maybe? I exercise two to three times a week at the gym and I think that exercise can help even though I suffer with the aches and pains too. I'm not sure if the aches and pains are down to the exercise or meno!
Lots of luck and I hope that you can find something that works for you and that you can get some sleep. x