Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: How did your GP respond?  (Read 27488 times)

GeordieGirl

Re: How did your GP respond?
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »

It was also reported that some people have been taking up appointments with requests for toilet rolls on prescription, something to give them shiny hair before they went on holiday, asking why they had sore legs after wearing high heels. The list was endless and ridiculous.

I was quite cross when the receptionist asked me in front of crowded surgery what I'd come for and whether I needed the appointment but I  guess given the above it's understandable that they try and weed out timewasters.  I really did want to shout out something that would make them blush though (along the lines of "My f*nny's disappearing !" ) but thought better of it as I'm sure I'd have ended up on our town's Facebook  group  :)

That said, I'm not in favour of paying for appointments as a lot of needy people simply won't be able to afford it or will be put off by the charges. My mum has a host of health problems, like many 84 year olds, so I'd dread to think how much she'd be paying out each week.

GG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »

Just like many other things, charges would only apply for those who can afford it.  Possibly over 65s or if on a low pension or social security the charges would be except. DG x

honeybun

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »

Walk in units would be a great idea, staffed by nurses. it could cut down time wasters and free up doctors. Some people just don't think to be honest.
The list of things quoted in the papers that people went to see a doctor about was just madness. You couldn't make it up.

Honeyb
x

dazned

« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2015, 06:24:02 PM »

I think people should make more use of their pharmacists who are very knowledgeable,more than some doctors! For colds,flies,ear aches,infected cuts,minor things like that. That would free up the health service somewhat.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »

Pharamacists now hav 'private' discussion rooms  ;)

Laine

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »

I've worked as a doctors receptionist for four years and can't believe the 'illnesses' people want to see their gp for.

We run a triage system and 'on the day' need to be seen appointments, we are also told to ask patients to explain briefly why they need to see their gp, something I hate doing but I can see why we are asked to do it. Trouble is patients know the system and how to work it!

You wouldn't believe the amount of people that ask to be triaged and then don't answer their phone when the doctor calls them, wasting yet more time that could be used for the genuine patients.

CLKD

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »

…….. as well as those that make appts. but don't cancel if no longer required  >:( - that's GP/Dentists, Hospitals/Vets..

Laine

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »

I can guarantee that each of our gp's and nurses have at least one no show a day. Four gp's and three nurses that's on average 35 or so wasted appointments each week >:(

GeordieGirl

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2015, 08:41:18 AM »

My last GP (my family doctor for 17 years) ran a surgery where you simply turned up and waited. You could end up in a long queue, particularly on Monday, but you were guaranteed to be seen that day. Unfortunately he's now retired and appointments can take 2 weeks plus, even for the nurses - I have an appointment to see the nurse for a  follow up ECG and it's 20th April, nearly a month ahead.  When my symptoms started to really show themselves I first had a telephone call with Gynae Doc (a week's wait), followed by an appointment 2 weeks later(no HRT), followed by another appointment  3 weeks later (no HRT), followed by another telephone call admitting she was out of her depth and referring me to a Meno Clinic. This whole episode took 7 weeks start to finish and God knows when the clinic appointment will appear. By all means operate a triage system but at our surgery it simply to be pushing back patients.  I've since seen another doctor about my heart rate and of course he knew little of what else was bothering me.

I much prefer to get to know my doctor rather than be pushed from pillar to post with locums or impersonal calls, I don't know whether the new system in our surgery is just a very poor example or whether this is the way things are run now. Sad if it is as you spend half the appointment bringing the doctor up to date.

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2015, 09:55:31 PM »

It's happening all over the UK apparently.  Plus the fact that SHO's aren't joining up as GPs after they do their rotations …… it will get worse. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]