Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Very long period ??  (Read 5753 times)

Claireylou

Very long period ??
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »

Good morning everyone, can anyone help please ?

I posted a few days ago because I was brown spotting directly after my period. I always seem to get this brown spotting before a period but this time it was after. My period "proper" started on Friday 6th, tailed off on Tuesday 9th and continued with the tailing off until yesterday. Yesterday evenings started to feel very pre menstrual. Exhausted, aching, hot flashes, sore boobs plus several night sweats. This morning, I seem to have come on again!  I went to my gp yesterday who reassured me that the brown spotting was nothing to worry about because there wasn't a break between my last period stopping and the brown spotting starting. I have asked for a referral to gynae because I have all the symptoms of va. Doctor said va highly unlikely cos I'm still having periods. 

Could this period be one long one or two close together with brown spotting in between ??  This is the first time my period has gone really wonky and I'm really frightened and feel very alone  :(

I'm sorry for the ramble, thank you for reading xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Very long period ??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:32:58 AM »

Hi Clairelou
You are not alone. You are describing what happened to me in the peri stage but I was in my mid 30s - it was horrid - sounds very typical for peri meno.  What symptoms are you getting to make you think you have VA? VA or at least some vaginal problems can start quite early but I think all the problems with bleeding etc can make one feel a bit sore around the vagina - it can help to use some vaginal gel to keep the flora balance a bit more acidic but also sooth any soreness or itching.  Hylaofemme or Multi Gyn Actigel are quite good but there are lots of other things.  Some local oestrogen may also be needed.  You need some reassurance from a gynae so good to get a referral.
Keep us posted.  DG x
PS you don't say how old you are?

Tigger99

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »

Hi Clairelou
This is me to a tee. I never know how long my periods are going to last now. Sometimes they are completely normal and then I get one that goes on for 3 weeks, I have a break for a week and then I start again. As I said in previous threads I have had all the tests going and all come back fine so I am not worried about it just more of an inconvenience. I think from other peoples comments on here it is fairly normal during peri menopause and it is usually your periods that muck you around first. I thought they got farther apart not closer together but hey who knows. I am 46 now and this started approx. 18 months ago, up until that point my periods were completely normal, oh joy. I just try and smile and get on with it  :)

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl, thank you for replying.

My symptoms of va are burning urethra and around the vagina, sometimes itching, strange aches and pains down there and sometimes it hurts when I empty my bladder. Lots of urine samples sent off to lab only to show no infection but microscopic blood. I'm almost 44. My mum, aunt and grandmother had completely gone through meno by the age of 46. Complete blood count and hormone levels tested 2 weeks ago and all came back normal which is frustrating to say the least because I've got a whole host of perimeno symptoms. This is the first time my period has gone wonky and it's really frightening xx

Tigger, thank you also for replying.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through similar but comforted to know this could be normal. This period that started a while ago was a week late. It really is beginning to affect my mental state xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »

Hi Claireylou
Firstly, blood tests are notoriously unreliable - your hormones and FSH levels will fluctuate in the peri stage so a further couple of tests may give a better picture although now most gynaes will go on symptoms rather that blood tests.  Considering the family history the doctors should be going on symptoms. 
I've had this burning urethra on and off for years and last year had a cystoscopy etc done and they just told me I probably had interstitial cystitis, which is difficult to control.  Having said this I am using local oestrogen and am now back on systemic HRT and the burning has got a lot better. There seem to be a lot of theories about the burning and UTI type symptoms but I certainly feel it is often to do with a lack of oestrogen.
I would have further investigations regarding the bladder issues - any blood in the urine should be checked just to be on the safe side although it is very common.
It does sound as though you are in early peri so you may need to try to relax, monitor what is going on (keep a diary) and perhaps go back to GP if the periods become more problematic. Many GPs are in denial about women starting their menopause early so you may need to push for a referral if things deteriorate.
I'd get your bladder checked in the mean time.   You do need to drink plenty of water, use something like Multi Gyn Actigel every day to keep things healthy in and around the vaginal area, don't use anything scented e.g. scented soaps or panty liners and don't have baths, have showers instead. Also, make sure you really empty your bladder when you do go, it's easy to get a bit of retained urine that will go stale and this can cause a slight infection.
Tigger99 - if things are getting really problematic I'd ask for a referral as well.

THIS IS A GREAT ARTICLE FOR YOU BOTH TO READ: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2800760/should-women-hrt-menopause-experts-say-s-best-way-ease-symptoms-avoid-long-term-health-problems.html

DG x

Tigger99

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 10:43:24 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl
I have been referred and had every test under the sun, several times over and all have come back clear. I am due to go back in a few weeks but I don't think anything new will have come up. I just get on with it and put it down to peri  ;)

Claireylou

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl,

That was a great link, thank you.  I have read your posts on burning urethra etc and have gained lots of knowledge so thank you.  Yesterday my gp prescribed some steroid cream for my burning down below but I'm very reluctant to use it because I know that steroids can thin skin so could make my problem worse. I have started to keep a mood/food diary and there do seem to be patterns emerging.  I feel like I have aged almost overnight. Nice to know that this bleeding could well be hormonal though. It's a real worry when your body starts doing the wrong thing xx   :(

caz24

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »

Hi Claireylou
I have just picked up on your post and really wanted to say the same as Tigger99 in that this is completely normal in peri and I too know how frightening it is when your periods go completely abnormal from what you're used to. I've always had regular periods then they went haywire and were really horrible and heavy with seemingly no break between them and then after all that bleeding I haven't had any bleeding for two months and then I worried about that! I have had scans and a biopsy and I've been given the all clear of anything nasty and have been told by my gynae that this is definitely the peri stage which can go on for a couple of years, oh joy! x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »

I thought they got farther apart not closer together but hey who knows.

Hi there - in the paper on stages of reproductive ageing I posted a link to a couple of weeks ago the late reproductive stage ( ie immediately before peri-menopause) is characterised in many women by shorter cycles specifically, as well as FSH becoming more variable .

http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/email_downloads/2012_02_16_1773491/straw10.pdf

Just doing a quick google shows that this is a generally accepted phenomenon and will indicate that the start of the menopausal transition is imminent ( ie peri-menopause) - when cycles then begin to lengthen.

Hurdity x

Claireylou

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »

Hi carol, thank you so much for responding.

This period, although long, isn't really heavy. The brown spotting was only when I wipe. Started to feel very pre menstrual last night and this morning it's more like normal blood (sorry tmi), although not heavy by any means.

I guess it's something I have to try not to feel scared about and just roll with it xx  :-\

caz24

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »

Yes Claireylou I think that's pretty much what we have to do. Try not to worry, it's all 'normal' and everyone is different. I've really tried to relax about all the changes but then anxiety and health anxiety is very typical in lots of women and when those symptoms are there you're not going to be able to relax with it all. Good luck x

Claireylou

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »

Thank you for your kind words Carol. I really do appreciate it xx