Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sensitive to Progesterone  (Read 3273 times)

Wanderer

Sensitive to Progesterone
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:41:33 PM »

Morning all! Just put a reply on another thread, and just wondered if anyone else is finding that they have started to have periods again after changing from Sequi to Conti?

I am on Evorel 50, and it is ok'ish, not fantastic but sort of ok, had to start on the Conti after a few months, and was told to expect some breakthrough bleeding, I had very slight bleeds, teeny, tiny after a few weeks, then every other month, and now every other week, not heavy just a little every day. I cut the patch in half, and immediately the bleeding stops! Is there another low dose post menopause patch, ( I am 5 years with no periods) that doesn't cause such a reaction?

I am clinically fine, having had every 'oscopy known to the clinical world in the last few years, as I had such a violent reaction to oestrogen depletion AFTER my periods stopped!

I certainly don't feel better when I do bleed, which used to be the case in the "old days"!!

WANDERER. XX

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sensitive to Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »

:hug:  it's all a bit Trial and Error ain't it  >:(  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »

Hi wanderer
The balance of oestrogen to progesterone to keep you womb lining healthy is very important.  By cutting the patch in half you were reducing the amount of oestrogen so your meno symptoms returned. Moving to conti HRT will often bring problems with bleeding for up to 6 months and many women choose to stay on a sequi HRT a put up with the withdrawal bled each month so they get fewer side effects from the progesterone.
As suggested, you could try having a Mirena as this usually settles any bleeding quite quickly and is tolerated well by many women who are sensitive to progesterone.   
Utrogestan is another option but this involves using separate oestrogen in patch or gel form with the Utrogestan as a pill taken either sequentially or continuously.  Do read up the section on HRt preparations.
DG x

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »

Hi Wanderer, tell me about it! Femseven conti (like everol) is the lowest dose patch there is in terms of a combined regime. I stopped after 6 weeks as it didn't suit. I too am post meno, but just by 2 years. Lots of ladies use a separate estrogen and a separate progesterone; this way you get a low dose estrogen (Femseven is medium).
At this stage, I don't think I can be bothered with 2 separate products so I have the ultra low dose in the combined regime Femeston. It's in tablet form, i've had it for 3 weeks sitting on the side and plucking up courage to use it as its a tablet and not a patch.
I'd be interested to know what you choose to do.

Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »

Thank you ladies, again! Maybe two separate is the answer! I only had a patch because along with everything else I have developed gastric disturbances, and it is considered kinder to the stomach, but think ANOTHER trip to the GP is in order!!

WANDERER xx

GeordieGirl

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »

Utrogestan is another option but this involves using separate oestrogen in patch or gel form with the Utrogestan as a pill taken either sequentially or continuously.  Do read up the section on HRt preparations.
DG x

I understand Sequi and Conti are both synthetic and contain progestogin not progesterone (the latter has far better properties) Utrogestan is progesterone and identical to your body's own hormones.  Hopefully this means you're far more likely to get on with it - it can be taken as a vaginal capsule. x