Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: breathing technics?  (Read 5759 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: breathing technics?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »

Our mushroom bags go into our compost ………

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 08:48:59 PM »

Breathing deeply is incredibly relaxing - and especially on the slow outbreath I find - good for anxiety and general health too. Yes to singing  :)

Hurdity x

BrightLight

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 09:01:23 PM »

Breathing from the chest is definately a habit so many of us get into, it's what automatically happens when we are anxious or busy and the fight or flight response is activated.  I have experienced ongoing 'dysfunctional' breathing at various times, breathing practise really helped me.

It's definately the out breath that relaxes and calms the nervous system and I like the 7/11 technique when I am really in the habit of 'over breathing'.  When we relax our rational brain has more space to operate :)

I like to sit on a chair with shoulders relaxed or lying on the floor with my knees bent and my hands folded gently over my tummy. I close my eyes.

If possible breathe in and out through your nose or in through your nose and out through your mouth.

Breathe in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11 (start with 3 and 6 if it's too hard at first)

The important thing is to breathe out longer than you breathe in and as relaxed as possible.

If you are doing it correctly your shoulders will remain still and your tummy will get bigger and smaller as you breathe (called diaphragmatic breathing). When you first start, putting a book on your tummy will help you remain breathing from here and you can also get a sense of weight that can somehow help as well.

I probably do some sort of 'conscious' breathing a few times a day and it really does help.  There are also phone app's that can guide you through short breathing excercises if that's of interest.  3 mins, 5 mins at a time, it all helps retrain. )

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:03:42 PM by BrightLight »

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 09:11:20 PM »

I try to do the diaphragm breathing when I get into bed at night. It really helps me get off to sleep. I have to concentrate quite hard so that helps too by emptying my mind.

Like I said it takes practice.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »

:thankyou:

dazned

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 08:11:03 PM »

Thanks everyone, who would have thought you need to be taught how to breath properly !  :)

BrightLight

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »

Thanks everyone, who would have thought you need to be taught how to breath properly !  :)

ha ha -yes I know, it really surprised me what a difference it made when I realised :)

Galadriel

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »

Morning ladies,
I go to yoga classes and we always do some breathing exercises... I was amazed just how much it calms and soothes me if I concentrate and breathe in my belly.

Here's a link to some videos on how it's done. http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_breathing

My teenage DD who comes with me, got the giggles to start with, but quickly realised it can help her when she gets anxiety attacks...

Galadriel x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »

My sister used to hold her breath in temper, the GP told Mum not to worry - she would faint before anything bad happened!

dazned

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »

:rofl:  CLKD
Pages: 1 [2]