Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Going back on hrt??😱  (Read 9678 times)

karenja

Re: Going back on hrt??😱
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »

thanks both I will let you know how I get on on Tuesday with the gp x

karenja

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »

Hrt is very much in the news at the moment, ive had two people say to me don't go back on it due to the risks, what does everybody think? I think the risks have alwayse been there anyway x

Millykin

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »

I'll take on board what they are saying but it will always be something with HRT. Maybe they are trying to scare us because of costs. One day they will say it's good for women! It's like butter cheese carry on. One minute it's bad next it's good. I'll take my chance. May eat my words in the future but right now I want a bit of peace in my life x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »

karneja - the press have done it again - the scares have not been put into perspective.  This very small risk has been known about for a long time.   I believe the risk is: If one women in a 1000 gets ovarian cancer then with HRT use for 5 years or more this increases to 2 women in a 1000. This is why they describe this risk as a 50% increased chance - one extra case in a thousand.  The studies don't take into account lifestyle, the type of HRT used, genetics and many other factors so they always need to be viewed as being very general.  There is a statement from Dr. Currie somewhere on this site that gives reassurance.
Do bare in mind that HRT reduces your risk of bowel cancer.
Even aspirin carries risks - I'm about to turn 59 and I'm back on HRT but for me the benefits do outweigh the risks.  It is still a personal choose that only you can make.  DG x

peegeetip

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »

Hope things go better for you this time round Karen, try stick with the initial rush of hormones and let it settle :)

"The studies don't take into account lifestyle, the type of HRT used, genetics and many other factors so they always need to be viewed as being very general."

Well said DG.

To put this another way the overview study is pretty much useless if even one thing like lifestyle is not taken into account.

No mention of the opposing evidence that the contraceptive pill protects us from the OC???

Saw this post out there that puts it really well:

http://truttmd.com/ovarian-cancer-post/

Have a good day :)

:-*
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:40:58 PM by peegeetip »

karenja

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »

so I went to the gp, sending me for blood test again, the ones that didn't come back as the hospital lost them!!, no letter from Cardiologist so got to ring in a week, report regarding fibroids just said there were lots and size but the previous report doesn't state size only that they were sizable so nothing to compare and if they are not bothering me which they are not as Im not getting periods now leave alone heavy one, so just to leave them.

I mentioned possibly going back on hrt, he said well with the risks, ie cancer, stroke etc the older you are its up to you if you think you really cant bear it without going back  on it but if you can cope...,I mentioned still getting fainty feelings he just said well will wait until the cardiologist report comes back and rest of blood tests and go from there...

So all in all not that successful

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »

Probably best to give your body a rest from the chopping and changing.

Have you tried anything for your anxiety yet.

Honeyb
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »

Your GP does need to have the results back before advising you.  If you do have fibroids this would have to taken into account if you go back on HRT as they can become stimulated with HRT and cause problems.
I can't remember whether you have had a Mirena or not before? I believe the Mirena will often reduce fibroids  - if you had the Mirena you would then just need the oestrogen alongside in pill, patch or gel form.
I'm sure you feel frustrated but it's important you get the appropriate treatment so you need to patient. :-X
Dg x

karenja

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »

Hi Both

Ive got an appointment at last to see a counceller after being referred via my gp (been on a long waiting list), this is next Tuesday and Im also going to have the blood tests again that was lost, I seem to spend any time off from work at dr or hospital!, I need to write down everything before I go all my symptoms and how I feel, as despite seeing the cardologist and being told my heart is fine Im still nervous of exercise and still wary of every little ache and pain, and also I seem to get tight chest every day whether it be in the evening or first thing in the morning, its always with me this anxiety.

I haven't tried mirena coil but as Ive been so unsuccessful with all the progesterones Im a bit wary about having one fitted as not like a patch you can take off or a tablet you can stop taking. xx

Limpy

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »

Karenja - I know you are nervous of exercise but even a small amount of gentle exercise, like walking, could make you feel better in yourself. I have MS and fatigue is a major problem with that. What does help me is gentle exercise, just do a little and stop when you start to get tired. Sometimes I really have to force to do it, but I do feel better afterwards.

Good luck with your appointment next week.

karenja

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »

thanks Limpy I really do want to start exercise again and not be afraid of it as I know it helps so many things, well done you for doing it :) x

Millykin

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:02:15 PM »

Karenja read your other post about chest pain on excercise, it is scary happens to me when trying hill walks! It's just you are not used to it and when you feel the tightness you focus on it more and it gets worse. We tend to hold ourselves different on excercise when you first start and all sorts of muscles start working again, go for it you will feel better. X
Pages: 1 [2]