Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Can anyone give me a chemistry lesson?  (Read 44932 times)

thorntrees

Re: Can anyone give me a chemistry lesson?
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:59 PM »

Not been on the forum long but I agree with HB . We all have to find our own way through this time in our lives as it affects us all to different degrees. Silver lady is very knowledgeable about many things and finds lots of info, no one has to read it and certainly we can decide for ourselves on whether to take anything further. I for one would miss the interesting links she provides. Sharing experiences and helping each other can only be a good thing surely and everyone should feel welcome to join in this process.

Thorntrees

honorsmum

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »

It was me that asked whether BrightLight had considered bioidentical progesterone cream.
When I first started reading about perimenopause, it seemed an obvious starting point - at worst, it might prove to be a slightly expensive moisturiser.

honeybun

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »

Progesterone cream, when mentioned is like a red rag to a bull for some reason.

I cannot think of one single occasion where it has not caused a falling out. Of course newer members do not know that and why should they.

It's an interesting subject that should be open to discussion the same as any other subject on the forum.

Why SL gets shot down is a mystery to me.

Honeyb
X

BrightLight

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »

Please don't be sorry Bright Light this has been happening to me for many years. It was highlighted by a poster a few days ago that many are driven away by some members attitude.

As I said I am seriously considering leaving MM now because this is only one of many put downs I have had over the years though this time not so subtle.

I really do hope you find the peace and answers you are looking for.

One thing I will add there are some nAtural health sites out there with very gentle  people who have do have open minds, my mistake was trying to combine natural medicine idea's with mainstream on MM.

Thank you - I am sure I will find my solutions, I have managed so far in life with each curve ball that has been thrown :) Many of my friends try to combine natural medicine with mainstream and if I manage to find the middle road, it will help them as well.  They all struggle one way or another to do this.  I really think it is the way forward and the US and Australia do it - yes, in the US they tack it onto 'selling' but that is their culture for everything, in Australia it is an everyday approach.  Information on women in menopause over there, show a distinct difference in the use of HRT, much less because they embrace many other treatments - there isn't a right or wrong is there?  We are all just looking to meet on common ground.

BrightLight

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 11:14:35 PM »

It was me that asked whether BrightLight had considered bioidentical progesterone cream.
When I first started reading about perimenopause, it seemed an obvious starting point - at worst, it might prove to be a slightly expensive moisturiser.

Yes, ha.  I need moisture in my skin :)  Not to open up a can of worms but amongst my surfing there has been scientific research that does show progesterone cream is good for skin - it was a small study.  So maybe hormones will be in skincare in the future.

The results of this study demonstrate that topical 2% progesterone acts primarily in increasing elasticity and firmness in the skin of peri- and postmenopausal women. These effects in combination with good tolerability make progesterone a possible treatment agent for slowing down the ageing process of female skin after onset of the menopause.

BrightLight

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 11:15:28 PM »

Progesterone cream, when mentioned is like a red rag to a bull for some reason.

I cannot think of one single occasion where it has not caused a falling out. Of course newer members do not know that and why should they.

It's an interesting subject that should be open to discussion the same as any other subject on the forum.

Why SL gets shot down is a mystery to me.

Honeyb
X

Yes, I didn't know progesterone was a not so good word  ;)

Jenna

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 08:54:50 AM »

Hello silverlady,

What you say is always interesting and informative - please keep posting!

Jenna x

CACEY

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »

Hi Ladies, I haven't posted for a while as I have been struggling to find my own balance for the past 5 years. But I have always found silverladys information very informative and helpful. My symptoms started 6 months after I was made to come off the depo jab and I have been to hell and back ever since trying to find a balance. Even went to see Proff Studd who prescribed his usual routine, oestrogel, testosterone gel & utrogeston. However even though he kept telling me to increase my dose, my symptoms continued. I have had numerous wasted visits to the doctors re my severe symptoms only to be fobbed off each time.
In desperation I had a mirena inserted over a year ago, and for the first twelve weeks, it was like a miracle, ALL OF MY SYMPTOMS VANISHED. Sadly after twelve weeks they returned.....
I saw another speacilist last week, who explained to me that my body obviously craved & needed progesterone. He said that the initial boost from the mirena had balanced my hormones, but after twelve weeks it had started to decrease the amount that was released. So he has advised to have the mirena removed and to trial Femseven Conti for two months, if this is successful I can then revert back to using the depo jab alongside oestrogel. So today I am going ahead with this and will have the mirena removed and try the new patches. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Cacey x

BrightLight

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »

Hi Ladies, I haven't posted for a while as I have been struggling to find my own balance for the past 5 years. But I have always found silverladys information very informative and helpful. My symptoms started 6 months after I was made to come off the depo jab and I have been to hell and back ever since trying to find a balance. Even went to see Proff Studd who prescribed his usual routine, oestrogel, testosterone gel & utrogeston. However even though he kept telling me to increase my dose, my symptoms continued. I have had numerous wasted visits to the doctors re my severe symptoms only to be fobbed off each time.
In desperation I had a mirena inserted over a year ago, and for the first twelve weeks, it was like a miracle, ALL OF MY SYMPTOMS VANISHED. Sadly after twelve weeks they returned.....
I saw another speacilist last week, who explained to me that my body obviously craved & needed progesterone. He said that the initial boost from the mirena had balanced my hormones, but after twelve weeks it had started to decrease the amount that was released. So he has advised to have the mirena removed and to trial Femseven Conti for two months, if this is successful I can then revert back to using the depo jab alongside oestrogel. So today I am going ahead with this and will have the mirena removed and try the new patches. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Cacey x

Sounds like you might have found out what is right for your body, fingers crossed.  I started this thread because I do believe we are all different and some women won't fit into the 'norm' as it were.  I really believe my body also needs progesterone, I can't prove it, but it's obviously possible.  Thanks for posting.

honeybun

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

Silverlady has left the forum...she has reverted to being a guest. I think this is such a shame and does not do MMs reputation any good at all.

Honeyb

BrightLight

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »

I am sad about that Honeybun and I have decided not to post anymore of my 'thoughts' or explorations :( 

I had a good look around the main pages of the website today and there is lots of information on alternative ways to approach symptoms, with good guidelines on things that have more research than others and a book list that includes John Lees book that has an 'alternative' view of hormone imbalance that includes the role of progesterone.  Also some advertisers that are selling products - so clearly some things are endorsed by menopause matters.

Personally when I understand how my body works and why it might be doing what it is doing I feel better, regardless of whether I can 'fix' it or not.  Taking a whole body view of menopause feels good to me, takes the pressure off somehow.  Makes it less daunting.

For anyone wanting to understand their risk of osteoporosis and how to really know what to do about it (if you don't feel you want to take HRT or are in two minds)  I have sought advice from The National Osteoporosis Society who were very helpful and have a great leaflet on HRT and other ways to manage bone health.  You can do a simple risk assessment using the FRAX calculator which if you google you will find. 

GeordieGirl

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »

I'm part way  through a huge book by Jonathan Wright and Lane Lenoard on bio identical hormones and it's a real eye opener. Whilst the big drug companies have the huge budgets to push the sale of horse hormones,  they have very little interest in bio-identicals because they can't patent them.  That said, despite the lack of the multi million pound spends, this hasn't stopped the research, a lot of which has been carried out in Europe where the use of bios is much more widespread. There are a wealth of studies that also investigate the role of progesterone on our bodies, and the benefits this has on insomnia, depression, oestrogen related blood clots and bone density to name just a few. (Check out the PEPI study of 875 women, which used saw gains in bone density against a placebo group when progesterone or even progestin was used).

Until recently I have been using the Mirena coil which includes a progestin. I didn't realise I was peri menopausal, I've had no flushes, moods, depression or a host of other side effects I'd normally expect. The hormone on the coil is meant to last 5 years, I had mine if for much longer than this and in the last year I've started to experience insomnia and forgetfulness.  I have no idea if there's any link at all between the declining amount of progestin and these effects but am hoping to check this shortly with bio-identical HRT. Let's see.

I'm not sure why something synthetic can be seen as better than something natural, in effect both bio and non bio HRT have their roots in natural substances - one in plants, the other in horse pee. The difference is the molecular structure of the bio-identical is identical to our own hormones, the latter isn't. (No great surprise unless any of us have equine roots  :-\  ). 

There is so much conflicting information on HRT and indeed so many GPs who are misinformed or simply spout the latest PR blurb from expensive drug companies.  Personal experience is probably the most reliable route, and finding something that agrees with your body.  Unfortunately we're unable to gauge longer term risks on this, but we do know what does and doesn't make us feel more like our usual selves.

GG x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:17 AM »

Reading through some of the links on this (really interesting) thread, I also wonder whether my own personal lack of progesterone has contributed to a recent breast cyst - my own progesterone (or progestin from the Mirena coil) having previously balanced my oestrogen, and once it's gone.....mayhem. 

Hm, more food for thought.

GG x

P.S.  I've just noted that the link which is critical about bio-identicals is written by someone employed by a drugs company making billions from flogging the non bio versions. Call me a cynic....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:49:40 AM by GeordieGirl »

CACEY

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »

Hi Ladies, thought I would give you all a quick update re starting Femseven Conti, as not sure if I need more oestrogen or progesterone? My night sweats have increased, dreadful sinus type headache, joints stiff, feeling low, no energy, even starting to get flushes during the day, which I have never had before. I went to see the doc yesterday, who was useless as said I need to take strong painkillers every four hours for the next three months, as that should clear the headaches!!
On a positive note I have no anxiety. So not sure if I can try and increase the oestrogen alongside the patch as I have lots of oestrogel sitting in the drawer. I would really appreciate any input as my symptoms are slowly getting worse. I have been trying to find the right HRT for the past seven years, I am now 51 and wonder how much longer I will be struggling to find the right dose. Cacey x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »

Oh Casey - you poor thing. I assume you had an early menopause so this is why you have been on HRT for so long?
From what you are telling us the HRT is simply not helping much and the increase in your meno symptoms would indicate you possibly need a different treatment. 
I wouldn't add any more oestrogen as the patch is carefully balanced and if you add some oestrogel you may get problems with your womb lining building up and problematic bleeding occurring.
Femseven conti will be giving you continuous synthetic progesterone which often gives side effects for many women. Taking any progesterone continuously can cause problems so have you considered going back to a sequential HRT?  I'm 59 and using a sequi regime because I don't want to use progesterone all the time.
You also mention you have some Oestrogel in the drawer, why did you stop using this and what progesterone did you use with it - were you using the Oestrogel with progesterone continuously or sequentially?
Have you tried Utrogestan as a progesterone?

I have also noticed that many women seem to need a SRRI like Citalopram alongside HRT to get full symptom relief. I have a colleague at work who uses both and is doing much better - there are a few women on this site doing the same. The idea of taking strong painkillers continuously for 3 months seems crazy to me!!

I get these sinus type headaches - I think it's because the sinuses dry out or respond to different environments that causes extra sensitivity.  I have found that using a saline spray regularly seem to help.  I've been using Sterimar which I bought online - I use it mornings and before bed and find I don't get so bunged up at night and my sinuses are less irritated.
Why not ask to be referred to a Meno Clininc if there is one in your area or be referred to a gynae for an assessment?
You could consider taking a break from HRT for 3 months to see how you feel and then start fresh with perhaps 2 pumps of Oestrogel daily and Utrogestan (bio identical progesterone) used sequentially. You could then increase the Oestrogel a bit if you feel you need to.
Also, are you taking Omega 3 for your joints?  At this time of year most of us will be Vitamin D deficient due to lack of sunshine and this can cause aches, pains and fatigue.
DG x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8