Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Can anyone give me a chemistry lesson?  (Read 44406 times)

BrightLight

Re: Can anyone give me a chemistry lesson?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »

Qlaira seems to popping up quite a bit at the moment as an alternative to HRT for the peri stage.  As a contraceptive it has the double benefit through this stage of our lives - I think this is very interesting as it could balance things during these fluctuating years and act as a 'bridge'.
Brightlight - I do get your point that the lack of progesterone to trigger the periods through peri is an issue and our bodies are used this hormone doing it's stuff every month through our reproduction years.
All very interesting - I think this highlights the need for more tailoring. 
AS Hurdity says, if there were more Well Women Centres with professionals trained to deal with women's issues then this would be more possible - it would free up GPs surgeries and make everyones life easier.
Dg x

I would definately sign the 'petition' for well women centres.  Interesting about Qlaira as an option.

BrightLight

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »

Regarding some women who feel better on progesterone here is some reading 

Thank you for the links - interesting to me and I enjoyed them.

BrightLight

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »

In answer to the original question, the extra hormones received will just cause side effects, if the dose is lowered or stopped according to how long the particular hormones are active in the body (latching on to receptors), the receptors will become inactive again.

Transgender take HRT too so not sure how it all works their bodies.

That's what I thought and now appreciate that some HRT's are 'adjustable' which I guess limits this.

BrightLight

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

Well what a long and involved thread!

I am like you BrightLight - naturally curious - which is why I studied science in the first place, and still enjoy learning - which is why I enjoy being a member of this forum because I am continually being challenged to look things up that I'm not clear about (sometimes unsuccessfully!) although it all takes up a lot of time!! Having said that I finished my Biology Degree over 40 years ago, and the research I did subsequently was not human biology or anything related so I am looking up everything just as much as everyone else! You had great answers from Dancinggirl and dahliagirl.

In terms of understanding what's going on in our bodies - I think I gave you the link to the article on this site about the biology of the peri-menopause and what happens to the hormones in our menstrual cycle? Now that you've read a lot more you may like to read it again as this is the clearest summary of what happens, without too much complicated biochemistry and terminology. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

The answer to your initial question is is that the biological process will just carry on even if you replace oestrogen through HRT ie HRT will not prevent the decline in ovarian function. However the added oestrogen will prevent the symptomns of oestrogen deficiency. This is why some women experience bleeding at odd times especially when taking HRT early in peri-menopause - because the cycle is doing its own thing. I can't explain how added oestrogen affects the cycling of pituitary hormones and the various hormone feedback mechanisms.

As for excess oestrogen - as CLKD said somewhere on the thread - progesterone normally balances oestrogen throughout your fertile years, because if it didn't, the uterus lining would over-thicken, could lead to endometrial hyperplasia and possibly cancer, and would shed erratically.

There was mention of progesterone in the body – yes it only exists at very high levels during the second half of the menstrual cycle – to prepare for pregnancy, and during pregnancy – which is its main function. However there is a very small amount of progesterone in men, in women during the first half of the menstrual cycle, and post-menopausally – so it is still there carrying out whatever function it does in the body aside from the major changes in pregnancy. That's why it is pointless testing for it.

In terms of oestrogen dominance – I think it's already been mentioned and also as above that oestrogen is dominant during the first half of the natural menstrual cycle – when women usually feel at their best once the period is over. As Dancinggirl says the concept is a distraction because it implies that if it is not “balanced” by progesterone there will be unpleasant symptoms until the balance is restored. The fact is - it is true that progesterone is needed to “balance” oestrogen – but only to protect the uterus lining. If this were not the case, as Dancinggirl points out,  no-one who had had a hysterectomy and was on HRT would be able to function without feeling unwell.  It is also not helpful because it doesn't take into account the symptoms and problems caused by absolute depletion of oestrogen per se.

Having said that – yes, due to anovulatory cycles additional progesterone may well be needed  temporarily (as well as oestrogen), in order to thin the lining and prevent heavy bleeding. This protection cannot be provided by progesterone cream despite what some websites and advocates might suggest.

To keep this post relatively short - I'll comment on some of the other points separately 

Hope my ramble is of some help - and doesn't repeat what others have said too much!  :)

Hurdity x

I do appreciate you taking the time to write, thank you.

I know have the role of hormones clear in the regular cycles and also that HRT tops up our natural hormonal pattern that continues 'underneath' during perimenopause. 

I can see that within the cycle progesterone is a balancer to estrogen for the lining etc and without getting hung up on the 'phrase' estrogen dominant my main premise is that both hormones have a role to play both in the reproductive arena and the rest of the body and that some symptoms might respond to progesterone better than estrogen and I really can see that progesterone alone - above and beyond regulating menopausal symptoms alone, could have some uses.

I view it that many woman have an ongoing hormonal imbalance prior to menopause and that menopausal symptoms are just another 'expression' of that imbalance.  I can't see why the individuals metabolism of these hormones, whether they are her own or biodentical would change.  So HRT might keep the cycle going and the hormones afloat but also might continue to create hyperplasia, polyps, fibroids, cysts etc So I guess I am interested in a wider consideration of hormonal effect and as said earlier, a well woman clinic would help women take a closer look at things and tailor treatment to suit them.

I can see that there are so many useful things that hormones do in our bodies and having read all these useful and informative posts I have a clearer idea about the different approaches, need and solutions that they can provide.  Whether they are in the form of conventional HRT, biodentical prescribed, herbs, plants or indeed a yam cream.  ALL of it is relevant in my eyes, some has scientific evidence, some symptoms need more sure fire approaches like HRT, some women might benefit from progesterone only cream early in their hormonal imbalanced lives.  I can see why it all exists - why it is a mindfield and why it is hard to access individualised support 'out there'.  Thanks again for sharing your knowledge :)

BrightLight

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »

I was wondering how HRT is prescribed, if the relationship between levels of oestrogen and progesterone isn't established by blood tests? Is this what makes trying HRT such trail and error for some women?

Does oestrogen really "fight back", when progesterone is introduced, as I've read? Is this why people feel worse before they feel better?

Thank you, Hurdity!
It was on the US Facebook group - members there say that oestrogen actually fights back when you start introducing progesterone, in cases of oestrogen dominance. To quote, "oestrogen has a hissy fit and fights to stay dominant, but after a couple of weeks, the two settle down."

Oo-er - I haven't come across the idea of oestrogen "fighting back" - what on earth is this?!!!!! Such anthropomorphisms...... must be one of those weird websites  ;D  (sorry honorsmum!).

Seriously though - Honorsmum – as CLKD said blood tests won't help in deciding what oestrogen and progesterone you should have because these vary so much, and in addition the level at which you will experience symptoms will also vary and is not absolute and even so during peri-menopause your own levels will still fluctuate so it is impossible to get it absolutely right! This is why it can be preferable to have separate oestrogen and progesterone so the quantities can be adjusted somewhat - although the response is not immediate as some people like to feel!

Hurdity x

According to the site, Progesterone Therapy, introducing progesterone stimulates the oestrogen receptors, making oestrogen dominant - hence why people feel worse initially.
Does that make sense?? Or is it marketing mumbo jumbo?
My initial post was in relation to, you guessed it, the US Facebook group I'm in - maybe the posters got the idea from the Progesterone Therapy site?  ???

I'm happy to put myself firmly in the safe and expert hands of Dr Annie Evans!

If there were an expert near me that resonated, I would be there like a shot :)

BrightLight

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »

I understood it to be the other way round but I think it might be a question of terminology. I have read that oestrogen stimulates the activation/expression of progesterone receptors - such that the physiological effects of progesterone are amplified in the presence of oestrogen. This stands to reason regarding pregnancy when both hormones play a huge role. In the uterus though I understand that progesterone intereferes with the oestrogen receptors so that the lining does not thicken - but that may be a role specific to uterine function as oestrogen casues "proliferative" changes in the uterus, and progesterone changes it to "secretory" - ready for implantation by the fertilised egg. Perhaps this is the fighting referred to?! Really I know very little about it and this is what I've managed to pick up though odd bits of reading. Sorry but I am suspicious of any progesterone site because of the huge marketing behind the cream over the pond!

Hurdity x

I think it might be a bit of both - I have read that many receptors in the body can be occupied by both progesterone and estrogen and some 'tasks' in the body can be done by both and some be either.   I do read more about progesterones potential role in functions beyond fertility - things like improved brain function, the fogginess that comes with menopause and certainly the emotional/mental health aspects. 

There is a lot of marketing for the progesterone creams, I can see that now.  Sadly a lot of useful natural products are sold in not so good ways and low quality which is a shame, when they could be useful.  Very hard for consumers to wade through the myriad of websites and claims.  I don't discount it though.  Natural ingredients (Yam) can't be patented by pharmaceutical companies which is the other side of it.  More and more natural ingredients are creeping in, being regulated and prescribed, which I think is great.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2015, 11:03:31 PM »

Hi everyone
Thank you Hurdity for stepping in and doing such great posts on this thread.  I think Brighlight's curiosity is sparking some very educational stuff.
BAck in my 30s after I was first diagnosed and I resisted taking HRT, I tried chinese medicine - this involved brewing up a whole lot of herbs and stuff each day which I then had to drink. Chinese medicine goes back thousands of years and has been proved to be extremely good at treating many things - I believed I was doing something 'natural'.  I know acupuncture can be extremely beneficial but that is a different thing to what I was taking!!!!. I think this stuff did work to a point but, as I was peri menopausal, my cycle and hormones may well have been fluctuating so looking back I can't say for sure whether it was the chinese brew or not. I then read somewhere about what type of things went into chinese medicine and that in fact much of it could be very toxic - I then decided that it was better to go down the conventional route and follow my GPs advice and take HRT.  One mustn't forget that HRT has been and continues to be extensively researched and there are many ongoing studies. I tried many different remedies and herbs through my 3 year break from HRT in my early 50s  - spending a great deal of money in the process - with no positive outcomes.  I am not saying others should not pursue alternative ways of managing their menopause and this site offers some good advice on alternative therapies etc. Many drugs and treatments are derived from plants and other natural sources and the newer HRT preparations are bio identical so by definition are  'natural'.  HRT replaces what our bodies would normally produce unlike many drugs that actually work to block or stimulate unnatural processes in our bodies e.g. steroids, chemotherapy etc.  I think the worry for many of us is the exploitation that arises when people desperate for a cure or remedy can pursue a course of treatment that has not been studied rigorously.  I feel sure that if for example Yams have anything to offer the drug companies would exploit them to the full.  If you do some internet research I think there are some proper controlled trials that have been done on all sorts of herbs and remedies e.g. St John's Wort has been well studied and shown to be beneficial in mild to moderate depression, however it can interact with other medicines so has to taken with caution. There is some evidence that phytoestrogens can help some menopausal women - I wish I could say it helped me.  I'm vegetarian so eat a diet high in things like soya and I tried taking Red Clover as well.
I think my message is to be very careful about self medicating without some good professional advice - be it conventional medicine or so called 'natural remedies'.
I do believe that we are a pioneering generation that is questioning and demanding more from all aspects of our lives. Managing the ageing process including the menopause is actually making great strides and I hope that our experiences will pave the way for our daughters to have better options than we have had.  We were the generation that were the guinea pigs for the contraceptive pill - do you remember all the scares about that? I suffered with terrible period pains and The Pill enabled me to have a  career.
My daughter attends a Family Planning Clinic in London and they were determined to find the right contraceptive Pill for her - she actually ended up with something called 'The Ring'!!! this is basically transdermal so little is absorbed systemically and it suits her really well.
I'm sure drug companies are working on finding better and safer hormonal treatments - after all if they can find a truly safe treatment for menopause symptoms wouldn't that be GREAT.
DG x

BrightLight

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »

Dancinggirl - chinese herbs are really strong and I have only once used them via a highly respective practitioner, but I still had a reaction that was too strong for me.  With any complementary medicine, I think it's really important you find the pracitioner that suits you and I do agree that sticking with regulated, standardised medicine is far 'safer' in a lot of ways. There is definately a small list of herbal medicine products that have been licensed including St Johns Wort, so there are products you can 'safely' take.

I'm still not sure there aren't benefits in yam and other ingredients, if more money were put into research the benefits and dangers would become clear - until then, I do agree that for the majority it's wise advise to find a good professional to address health.

I am fully aware and respectful of the power of complementary and herbal medicine and approach it with nearly as much caution as I do conventional medicine. Natural does not been safe - some essential oils used in the incorrect ways can cause serious issues.  The whole issue of regulation of herbs, plants and complementary medicine is another massive topic and I appreciate that right now, the mainstay treatment of symptoms for hormonal issues is HRT but as you say the future will be quite different and yes, hopefully 100% guaranteed safe x

Rowan

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »

BrightLight if you are interested in finding out about natural progesterone cream check out

wellsprings-health.com/pages/serenity-natural-progesterone-cream 

Its a British site, you can buy the cream there as well as a combined cream with estrogen called 20-1 cream. (not to be used with conventional HRT)

You will find many women and doctors talking about it.

They have a free downloadable e book.

By the way progesterone cream is made from Mexican Wild Yam (Dioscorea Villosa) though it is still synthesised in the lab.

Another thought its nice to know that if Doctors insist that women come of HRT at 60 there is something they can use for themselves to ease the shock of abrupt drop in hormones.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:54:02 AM by silverlady »

BrightLight

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »

BrightLight if you are interested in finding out about natural progesterone cream check out

wellsprings-health.com/pages/serenity-natural-progesterone-cream 

Its a British site, you can buy the cream there as well as a combined cream with estrogen called 20-1 cream. (not to be used with conventional HRT)

You will find many women and doctors talking about it.

They have a free downloadable e book.

By the way progesterone cream is made from Mexican Wild Yam (Dioscorea Villosa) though it is still synthesised in the lab.

Another thought its nice to know that if Doctors insist that women come of HRT at 60 there is something they can use for themselves to ease the shock of abrupt drop in hormones.

Thank you, I wrote to Wellsprings last week to ask some questions and I am talking with a herbalist/naturopath next week to get their view on a short/long term health plan for me.

I have come into this situation all of a sudden, my menopause didn't come slowly and it's really rattled my belief system - I believe that to be well we need to address the root of the problem and not just the symptom.  Even biodenticals don't quite sit well with me because for me the root of the problem is not really my hormones ;)  However, I think I might need some support from hormone replacement therapy of some kind while I sort the rest.

I appreciate your viewpoint, interest and experience in wholistic medicine.

Rowan

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »

Thank you BrightLight

On a lighter note another of my passions is health, beauty and ant- aging, and I did do a Beauty Course at College too. Though Holistics was my favourite.

It does help to keep my mind active and young at heart, well I hope it does ::)

Rowan

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »

Getting some support from HRT may well be the answer BrightLight, a light might be switched on and you could see things in a completely different light.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 03:56:40 PM »

I fear dementia more that anything else, so I think staying curious and learning new things is terribly important.
Interacting with everyone on this site is really good stimulus for our brains.   HRT does keep me far more alert - I know my driving is better; before I went back on HRT I was feeling like a menace on the road as I was struggling to concentrate!!!! :-X. DG x
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:59:12 PM by Dancinggirl »

BrightLight

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »

SilverLady - I haven't ever been one for skincare and beauty knowledge, but I think that might be on the agenda too - so grateful for the chubby cheeks that held up until recently ;)   As you can tell, I am determined to find the right combination of things for me at the right time and yes. 

I think I am really sensitive to changes, maybe because I trained as a bodyworker, but I can feel the shifts happening, the adjustments and going to let that continue for a month or so more until I make firm choices.  For instance my skin although it's lost some (a lot) of tone and plumpness over the last year, the redness, greasy, dryness that was going on and off is actually calming down since I haven't had a period.   Tight muscles are not so tight, jaw clenching at night that started last year seems to have gone..............it's all been replaced with other, equally surprising things, but..........on somedays I am completely in awe of my own body.  I have never been pregnant so I haven't experienced any metamorphosis before (since puberty and I can't remember that).  :)

Dancinggirl - I work at home now, but a few years ago the ladies at work, all a bit older than me encouraged me with brain gym, saying they were really into it.  I understand now! 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 06:47:12 PM »

Brightlight - I trained as a dancer and performed professionally as a dancer, singer and actress for 12 years - all thanks to The Pill as without it the period pains would have prevented this career.  After I went back on HRT at the age of 53, my energy went up so much that I started to dance again and actually started my own class teaching adult beginners ballet with other forms of dance.  It was great fun.  The beauty of dancing is that it is  a form of brain gym - you have to use all parts of the brain and you can't dwell or think about anything else.  The group of ladies who attended my class found it was great therapy for body and mind - they were aged between 25- 70.  Classes like Pilates I find the brain can wonder onto your anxieties and stresses but when you have to concentrate on learning a dance routine you cannot think about anything else, the endorphins are flowing and it lifts your mood like nothing else. 
Since moving to Suffolk I haven't done these classes - maybe I should start doing them again.

RE; skin and beauty - I suffered with spots and had a very greasy skin till I got to the meno and it's one of the plusses for me that my skin is that bit drier so fewer spots. The thing I don't like is the effect of gravity on my body!! Also my skin has gone all papery - nature is kind in making us go longsighted - as long as I don't look at myself with glasses on I can't see the lines± ;)  Dg x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8