Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: woke up early with a feeling of hopelessness.  (Read 15045 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: woke up early with a feeling of hopelessness.
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »

Sunshine! is absorbed through the skin ……… make sure that the body disposes of VitD ……… and whether it needs another mineral for uptake. 

Taking a walk every day in bright weather is a quicker way of gaining VitD.  Gardening, shopping, sitting ………. where ever there is open air sunshine is the safest way, apparently people Down Under are VitD deficient …….. due to not being out and about as often because of cancer scares.  So remember the sun screen  ;)

honorsmum

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »

I'm thinking about taking VitD myself.   What are the benefits?

The symptoms of deficiencies in adults are general tiredness, vague aches and pains and a feeling of not feeling well. It can help against cardiovascular disease and bone problems.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »

Vitamin D has been widely researched and being deficient can have nasty consequences.  I believe it is a fairly safe vitamin to take on a regular basis so unless you are taking very large quantities over a longer period it is very safe and can do a lot of good. I know 2 GPs who regularly test their patients who come in complaining of fatigue, particularly during winter months, and these patients are often found to be vit D deficient and just need a supplement. I have a dog and do a lot of walking so in summer I don't take any as I'm sure I get enough sun.
DG x

honorsmum

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »

CLKD - Sun screen stops vitamin D being absorbed from the sun! Apparently, doctors are now seeing cases of rickets in children because they are always covered up in the sun, for fear of burning.

If you Google vitamin D deficiency, most Brits are deficient between October and April.

Dulciana

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 09:41:34 PM »

Right - I'm getting some!

purplenanny

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »

Best thing I ever took. 
I was diagnosed as vitamin d deficient after visiting gp for painful shins. I was also low in energy and motivation, which I thought was due to the pain I was suffering
Prescription for vit d3 and I have felt so much better
I stopped them for 2 months, just to see and prove they were helping, oh boy! Did I notice!
Went back on them and hey presto, so much better
I still do get aches, but nothing like the debilitating pain I had before
Highly recommend it
PN x x

dahliagirl

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »

I started taking about 10ug when I had really bad aches that were just getting worse. 

My friend had researched it  and decided that as you have to have at least 3 proper oily fish type meals a week, or the equivalent (not easy) and that making your own through your skin is not viable between Oct and Apr, then you need supplements during the winter.

So, I was a bit shocked to find that my levels were still well below optimum, at the beginning of winter, when you would have thought they would be ok after the summer.  I would no doubt be deficient by now, if I had not taken the higher dose.

I was sceptical, but very surprised by how I felt suddenly better after 6 weeks.  Now if I stop taking it, symptoms return.

You need to expose more skin than you think too.  If we have a dull summer, we tend to be covered in scarves and cardigans.

I tend to keep well covered in the summer, because I burn easily.  I also keep my tummy well covered as I had twins, and it looks a mess.  I am getting a bikini and will be frightening the birds in the garden, during nice weather  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]