Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4285 times)

Eliza

Hello
« on: February 12, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »

Hi I'm Eliza, I've found it really interesting reading through the posts here. One thing I wanted to ask is how people cope with night sweats, this is the worst thing about the menopause for me.  Has anyone used a fan, I am thinking of buying one but I'm a light sleeper anyway and I don't know if the noise would bother me.  I am so tired! I'm 54 - working and leading a busy life (like lots of us!)  I started symptoms when I was 49 and went on hrt for a couple of years and then stopped it (not sure why, can't remember- menopause memory!) it did work but I'd rather not go back if I can help it.  Having said that I'm getting desperate for sleep so I may have to!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »

:welcomemm: ………. why wait ?  If you are hungry, do you not eat  ;)  ::) ……… have an appt with your Practice Nurse/GP, ask if there are records as to why you did stop the HRT, if no adverse effects try again?

We have a fan for the Summer - I find it quite soothing !

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »

Hi and welcome  to MM Eliza
The night sweats and inability to sleep is torture - you have my sympathy.
I'm 58 and went back on HRT after a break of a year to see how I coped.  It wasn't too bad without HRt but the lack of sleep was really getting me down so I have been back on HRT for 3 months now - I feel ssooooooooo much better.  It's bliss to get a decent nights sleep.  If HRT suited you - then there is no real reasen not to go back on if you wish to.
Have a browse around the info on this site and get back to us with questions.
The only thing that gave me a better nights sleep when I wasn't on HRt was to take Nytol which I took a couple of times a week - the one you get from the chemist counter not the herbal one.   DG x

Eliza

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:49:40 PM »

Thanks, yes I remember that I ran out of tablets just before a bank holiday and decided as I'd not taken them for a few days I would try without.  ::) I've just been putting up with it but lack of sleep over a long time really gets to you!  How do other people cope? I've ordered a fan, with a remote so I don't have to get out of bed  :).  Nytol is something I use at weekends when I've no work, I find it hard to open my eyes in the morning when I've used it  :bounci: :bounci: :bounci:

Rhubarb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:05:28 AM »

Hi Eliza, I've not had any night sweats yet so I can't help you there, but welcome :)

Eliza

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 06:14:02 AM »

:thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »

Hi Eliza

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

I had terrible nights sweats and I just couldn't function without a proper night's sleep and all those hours of tossing and turning for half the night! If there is no medical reason not to, then do consider re-starting HRT - why don't you want to go  back on it?

I only started it at around your age and I'm still on it at 61. I did try coming off it 4 years ago for 3 months but the flushes and sweats came back - and whilst they might do so again when I eventually come off it for good, I would rather this happened further down the line when I am not working.

Hurdity x

Eliza

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 08:49:13 PM »

Hurdity, your thoughts are much the same as mine. I had been thinking that I might as well carry on as I'll just get the symptoms again if I go back on and stop, like I did last time. But if I could stay on until I am not working so much, as least the tired brain wouldn't matter so much! So I will make an appointment and talk to the GP.  Thanks for your comments, it makes me feel like I'm not making a fuss over nothing! X

Rhubarb

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 04:39:54 AM »

Eliza, I think the fan will really help. I talked to my mom today and she said she relied on a fan to get through the hot flashes and night sweats. And I love to sleep with the sound of the fan going in the summertime, the white noise it makes is soothing and helps me sleep :)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »

That's the point Eliza - if you read some of the threads on here you will see that it is quality of life now that's important. The argument that there's no point going on it because you will have to suffer sweats etc when you eventually come off it is not a valid one! Say you go on it for 8 years or so and perhaps retire or work part-time - then you are in a better position to cope with sweats and flushes then, and can perhaps lie in a bit in the mornings if you don't sleep or have a power nap during the day - which isn't possible if you are working full time.

If you just soldier on - who knows whether you might continue to experience symptons for those 8 years and beyond anyway?

You're definitely not making a fuss about nothing!!!

Good luck with your choice and if we can help in anyway then do please ask!

Hurdity x

robotwars

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »

I have installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom with remote control right over the top of the bed, it's fantastic!

Eliza

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:22 PM »

Thanks so much for your replies 😊. I agree and just want to be able to function while I'm working etc. Later I can scale down hours so it'll be easier as you say.  I have bought a wonderful tower fan with a remote , it's been great the last couple of nights (still waking up hot and drenched but it is so cooling once I've thrown my covers off). A bonus is it masks the very annoying tinnitus that I have developed too.  Haha when it first started I actually thought that there were distant roadworks using a pneumatic drill, and I was outraged that they would do this in the middle of the night!!! Until I realised it was in my own left ear lol  ;D

karin

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »

hello
I briefly took HRT but it wasn't for me.
For sweats at night I sleep with the window open to allow a nice cool breeze and then have an avian spray to swoosh my face chest legs ad feet! -its lovely! I keep a super soft  pink fluffy small towel by the side of the bed in case I wake up and an sweaty!
I also take starflower oil which reduces my flushes no end.

the big fan idea is great too if that's not enough- and a chillow pillow? ( I think that's what its called) 

Eliza

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:00:54 PM »

Hi, thanks for your replies 😊. I've been to the doc tonight and he has given me Tibolone, has anyone tried this? I need some sleep   :bounci: :bounci: :bounci: :bounci:

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »

Eliza - if you do a search for it you will find threads on Tibolone. I know a few members have tried it. Hope it works for you :)

Hurdity x