Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Anyone had early menopause and not used HRT?  (Read 41426 times)

BrightLight

Anyone had early menopause and not used HRT?
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »

I may not be suitable for HRT and I am trying to find out as much as I can about alternatives routes.  I feel pretty sure the phytoestrogens, lifestlye and stress management can go along way towards a healthy body and mind.  Supplements for bone health and heart etc

But..............to be honest, reading around on the internet it seems that unless you take HRT you are doomed to degeneration without enough hormones.  Is this really true?  I feel so ignorant about this.

I do appreciate that HRT is designed with the idea of protecting all the function that estrogen plays specifically heart and bone health, but what about all the other things - skin, teeth, digestive tract, does HRT really keep EVERYTHING ticking along that estrogen did?

I am 44 and really don't want to be thinking I am going to have a lower quality of life quickly if I can't take HRT - there may be family history that raises a risk.

Everything I read is so negative about the menopause without HRT and I am trying to find the light.  The closest woman to me is like a mum and she is 68 and had menopause at 47 and didn't take HRT due to her sister having breast cancer and the genes - she is doing great, looks fantastic.  I have no other women to reference and struggling with my choices

honorsmum

Re: Anyone had early menopause and not used HRT?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »

I can only say that my mum went through menopause in her late 40's, and is 80 now. Never had an operation, never been seriously ill, still has all her own teeth and a good head of hair, plus all her faculties, is still able to live independently on her own, drive, walk etc...and no HRT.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »

The current information says that you need to replace the hormones that should rightfully be yours.
Osteoporosis is a big threat as is heart problems and vaginal atrophy.

It's very much a personal decision but I would really do my homework before I ruled it out.

If you have a look at the menus on the left you will find lots of information and treatment choices.

Honeyb
X

BrightLight

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »

I can only say that my mum went through menopause in her late 40's, and is 80 now. Never had an operation, never been seriously ill, still has all her own teeth and a good head of hair, plus all her faculties, is still able to live independently on her own, drive, walk etc...and no HRT.

I do think life is a lottery ticket sometimes - but without knowing ourown ticket, except in hindsight I guess it's best to go with the majority.  This is all so confusing to me  :-\

Briony

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:26:15 PM »

There's no perfect answer. Everybody's menopause is unique, after all. I always assumed I would do as my mum did and 'ride the hormonal wave' through my mid 50s without HRT. However, an endocrinologist made it quite clear to me that having such a low level of estrogen in my early 40s would be compromising my heart and bone health. If it was more superficial things like wrinkles and spots, I may have thought twice, but not when it comes to cardio vascular issues. I am taking it  - ' the journey' - a month or so at a time; just because I am on HRT now does not necessarily mean I will stay on it until I am post menopause. But for now, I feel like it's the safest option.

I am fairly sure that the previous research which identified potential risks with HRT did not not consider younger (under 50) women? X

BrightLight

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:23 PM »

The current information says that you need to replace the hormones that should rightfully be yours.
Osteoporosis is a big threat as is heart problems and vaginal atrophy.

It's very much a personal decision but I would really do my homework before I ruled it out.

If you have a look at the menus on the left you will find lots of information and treatment choices.

Honeyb
X

Thanks Honeyb
I am definately doing all sorts of homework - mind boggling trying to make a decision.  I just wondered if there were any real life experiences from ladies on this forum.

I have looked at a lot of information and the videos from the Menopause Society are really useful.  It seems to me there are 2 uses for HRT - for symptom control, but if women don't have symptoms, I am guessing they are producting enough estrogen for their body (?) who knows.  Then there is the protection factor which I think is what I would be prescribed it for - using HRT to protect again bone loss primarily - this is the evidence I can see.  Also a bit confused about the age, the guidelines stated under 40 yrs old for preventative prescribing but some gynaes use 45.

BrightLight

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:47:08 PM »

There's no perfect answer. Everybody's menopause is unique, after all. I always assumed I would do as my mum did and 'ride the hormonal wave' through my mid 50s without HRT. However, an endocrinologist made it quite clear to me that having such a low level of estrogen in my early 40s would be compromising my heart and bone health. If it was more superficial things like wrinkles and spots, I may have thought twice, but not when it comes to cardio vascular issues. I am taking it  - ' the journey' - a month or so at a time; just because I am on HRT now does not necessarily mean I will stay on it until I am post menopause. But for now, I feel like it's the safest option.

I am fairly sure that the previous research which identified potential risks with HRT did not not consider younger (under 50) women? X

Thank you so much for sharing your choices/situation.  I think you are right about the potential risks being different, my GP did mention in passing this isn't so relevant when prescribing for early menopause.  May I ask if your GP referred you to an endocrinologist?  These are the people that are best placed to advise in my opinion taking account your personal circumstances. 

At the moment I am waiting for appointment with GP and thinking things through, it has come to mind that I could take the option of HRT for a couple of years.  I want to cover heart health and bones, just not convinced there isn't another way right now, though the endocrine doctor information is supportive and helpful to me.  Thanks :)

BrightLight

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:12:41 AM »

Briony - the scary thing is that having an early menopause does increase cardiovascular risk and I am aware of that, I wasn't clear whether estrogen loss was directly related or that HRT was preventative and from reading it seems that they don't really know.  What they do know is that blood pressure and cholesterol rises after menopause and this is a clear indicator of rising cardiovascular risk.  So as you say, it's so different for everyone and reading your post has made me think to make sure the doctor does a proper CVD risk assessment.

It looks to me as if excercise has to go on top of my new 'health plan' list - I don't do nearly enough. :)

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »

"Then there is the protection factor which I think is what I would be prescribed it for - using HRT to protect again bone loss primarily."

All HRT will go some way to help this. However in terms of the medical side the medium dose HRT options and above are seen as helping your bone health and are certified to do this. Lower and Ultra low HRT are not.

Other non HRT options for bone strength are known to keep bone mass but have issues regarding bone strength still and have knockon effects to the bodies own bone building processes.
Not something thats an issue with HRT sourced bone protection ;)

In terms of CVD!

The longer you put off HRT then there is less chance of the protection people are percieving on this front.
This is why recent views have said that taking the pill into peri and starting HRT sooner is seen as better for us in terms of looking after our cvd , circulation and bones for the longer term.

Your CVD risk can change relatively quickly ie less exercise, diet goes bad and unfortunately menopause too.

So its great to think about these things however keep in mind that the longer we wait and put things off then the longer things take for HRT to help and repair.

However in terms of areas like CVD and circulation, urinary , va and some breast changes these will not be fully fixed or reversed if HRT if it is taken later.

:-*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:46:19 AM by peegeetip »

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »

Don't agree that low dose estrogen does not protect bones

http://www.jabfm.org/content/22/5/563.full

Menostar is one preparation that has been approved as an ultra low dose estrogen for bone health using a 14 patch replaced weekly.

http://www.4bonehealth.org/education/estrogen/

I asked my Doctor about this, she said it was not available in the UK yet, I did read somewhere that it was being considered, but as HRT is not considered the first line prevention of osteoporosis in the UK I doubt it will be.

peegeetip

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »

Hi Silverlady

I did not say low and ultra low didnt protect.

"All HRT will go some way to help this. However in terms of the medical side the medium dose HRT options and above are seen as helping your bone health and are certified to do this. Lower and Ultra low HRT are not."

The only ones that can be prescribed "officially" for bone protection reasons are the medium and higher doses.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:30:57 AM by peegeetip »

BrightLight

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »

How do I take this thread down?  I feel my approach isn't inline with the majority of members here and there isn't much support for people that are not using HRT - perhaps I have misunderstood the website? 

To me menopause is more than symptoms - it is a stage of life and it means different things to different people and one of those things is coming to terms with new health risks and aging bodies.  Those are the things I am dealing with really and HRT is just one of the strands I need to consider and make a choice about.

For me,  I need to keep the bigger picture in mind as well as treat any symptoms because without doing that it all feels a bit depressing

BrightLight

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »

The longer you put off HRT then there is less chance of the protection people are percieving on this front.
This is why recent views have said that taking the pill into peri and starting HRT sooner is seen as better for us in terms of looking after our cvd , circulation and bones for the longer term.

Your CVD risk can change relatively quickly ie less exercise, diet goes bad and unfortunately menopause too.

So its great to think about these things however keep in mind that the longer we wait and put things off then the longer things take for HRT to help and repair.

However in terms of areas like CVD and circulation, urinary , va and some breast changes these will not be fully fixed or reversed if HRT if it is taken later.

I totally hear what you are saying and if I have had abrupt Ovarian Failure I guess I am further down the path than I thought - but I am certainly not intending to wait 'too long' - this only happened 10 days ago. Perhaps I am just too upset with the sudden change to take any of this in - going to take a step back

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »

I do support you whole heartedly Brightlight and there will be many members who do to.

When I first read your post last night my immediate reaction was to support what you said with my own views but decided against it thinking whats the point because from previous experience it has not gone down too well and it has in the past left me upset.

What you say is true this forum is pro HRT but there is another one on MM  in Personal Experiences, "How do you cope without HRT" and HRT good or bad"

I have used very low dose estrogen ( I have had a hysterectomy) supported by supplements and preventative health, but I support fiercely the right for any woman to decide for herself what is right and works for her even if it is not approved of by the majority. 

If you feel you want thread deleted then you can PM Emma and ask and explain why you want it removed.

I think you may find that if you don't  removed it you will find other women will be posting to support you.

honorsmum

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »

I suspect the subject of HRT or not is as emotive as any other female subject - breast or bottle, home or hospital birth, work or stay at home...they all bring strong opinions and divides.

If you are seeing a holistic GP, Bright Light, you will be reassured that you will be getting a balanced view on the subject, and hopefully the best treatment for you, both physically and emotionally. I think it is very hard to make any decision, if you are not clear on all the pros and cons and only have limited knowledge and instinct to go on. As you are not at the point of having to make a decision, and may well be feeling overwhelmed by the amount of info out there, might it help to make a pact with yourself that you will wait until you've seen the private GP - and then research any suggestions she makes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7