Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 6 weeks off hrt.  (Read 7060 times)

Eddie

6 weeks off hrt.
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:01:40 PM »

After deliberating about this for so long I've decided to take the plunge. One full year of almost constant bleeding has worn me down. So I'm now 6 weeks in and I think the flushes are starting again. Bit different from 5 yrs back though, much more ****ly, almost like mini shocks.
Ibs is back with a vengeance, gone from going almost daily to weekly, and bladder sensitivity is very unpleasant. Blood pressure was too high though, it has come down a bit, around 150/105.
Not sure how long a break is recommended, seeing meno doc end of Feb.
Eddie. X

Dancinggirl

Re: 6 weeks off hrt.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »

Hi Eddie
What about using some local oestrogen that might help with the IBS and bladder issues?
You may be surprised and find you symptoms settle more quickly this time.  I assume you are constipated? Are you getting enough fibre in your diet? Do stick to water and not drinks with caffein as these are a diuretic and won't help the bladder sensitivity or the IBS.
Good you are seeing the meno doc in about 4 weeks - by then you will have a better picture of what is going on.   DG x

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »

Hi there stranger.  :) Every sympathy Eddie. When I first joined this site I was in middle of what turned out to be an 8 month break. Horrid! Just recently tried again, gave up after 3 weeks. Sweats were horrid. Could possibly put up with flushes but sweats no.  Do you think you could cope for another 4 weeks until you see your meno doc? 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »

Hi there Eddie!

Oh dear - did you come off it suddenly?
I can't remember how old you are or what HRT you were on.... didn't the doc do anything to help with the bleeding and did you get checked out re fibroids/uterus lining etc?
Have you just come off temporarily - as you mentioned that it was just a break?
Sorry about all the questions - but haven't heard from you for a while...
I agree that vaginal oestrogen at least may help prevent some of the bladder discomfort.

Hurdity x

Eddie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:03:08 PM »

I will try to wait until I can see memo doc, I stopped cold turkey mid December, because of the high blood pressure. If I don't get any worse I would try at johns wort before going back to hrt. I found vagifem irritated me down below. But it's really the bladder/bowel problem. Who would've thought hrt would benefit these areas so much. Yes I drink lots of water and eat healthily, was enjoying white toast but that's gone now too. I'm 49 so still Peru, but memo doc tried to shut my ovaries down to stop vulvodynia occurring monthly. I did have all the scans and test due to the bleeding and everything was fine. Raised ca125 kicked that off, but all was fine. Eddie. X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »

Hi again Eddie

Were you on tablet HRT? Here is what it says on this site about hypertension and HRT - you will see St John;s wort is mentioned and also transdemral HRT is recommended:

Hypertension   
    Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
    Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy.

You're probably doing all this but I presume have looked at natural ways to reduce blood pressure - eg through having healthy weight, exercise, limiting alcohol and salt etc etc? Apologies if sucking eggs comes to mind!

Hope you manage to get an appointment soon!

Hurdity x

Eddie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »

Hi Hurdity. It was femoston conti I was taking. I am a bit overweight, 9st10 and only 5'2". So trying to lose some weight with increased excercise. Generally don't add salt to food but you know it's there. I don't drink much alcohol now, too many headaches already. I have to have bp checked again next week. It had come down to 160/106 within two weeks of stopping the hrt.
Meno doc last year suggested the medina but that was before my bp was found to be high.
Eddie. X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »

As you are still quite young and could probably do with having oestrogen for a bit longer, would it be possible to have something to help control your blood pressure and perhaps have the Mirena fitted with Oestrogel?
DG x

Eddie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »

That's a possibility Dancinggirl. Is oestrogel the one in the pump?
eddie

Millykin

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »

I don't know if that's possible, my daughter had high BP and on lifetime meds for it. She has been told she would only ever be able to have non hormone based coil for contreception and later in life she wouldn't be aloud HRT. Not sure if it may be different as yours is coming down without meds?
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:04:35 AM »

Hi eddie - yes Oestrogel is in a pump so is a transdermal form of HRT and is often considered a better way to administer HRT (patches are another alternative).
Oestrogel allows you to adjust how much you use according to symptom relief - so you can use the minimum amount that controls the symptoms. I was told to use 2 pumps per day but I've got that down to 1.5 pumps as enough to control my symptoms.
The Mirena is good for controlling excessive or random bleeding, is also contraceptive if needed and often brings fewer side effects because less progesterone is absorbed systemically.   DG x 

Eddie

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »

Thanks ladies. I think I'll try to see a gp tomorrow and ask for vagifem again. Then see meno doc as planned. Maybe even if bladder and ibs are better controlled it would be enough for the time being. I must admit I am enjoying not feeling so cold all the time. Eddie

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 11:14:05 AM »

Hi Eddie

Hopefully your self-help measures to lose some weight and increase exercise will help lower your blood pressure naturally, so that you might be able to restart some transdermal HRT. Good luck with the meno doc!

Hurdity x

Eddie

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:03:52 AM »

Doc decided to put me on Ramapril, no still kicking around 140/100, I had to stop and wait for bloods to come back before starting a new one though, but funny thing is I felt great, much happier? I have been suffering headaches now for well over a year, put down to sinuses, they went away. Two days off and they have started again.
Flushes are fairly frequent and often brought on by feeling 'put on the spot'. Is that about right? Night sweats are returning unfortunately. Doc put me back on vagifem so that's helping with sensitivity and va.
Still got meno doc next Friday, was going to postpone, but think I'll go along for a chat anyway about the coil, although no bleed now for two months and would like to have known how long that would last. Eddie. X

Eddie

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »

Well that's me off her now for 6 months. Feels pretty good, few wee problems are VA, but that was always a problem so am using vagifem. Rosaeca, which I didn't expect at all. Overall it was the right thing for me.
Eddie.x
Pages: [1] 2