Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Haven't heard of this before  (Read 8233 times)

honeybun

Haven't heard of this before
« on: January 09, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

My hubby got a letter this morning inviting him to go for a scan for AAA.

Abdominal aortic aneurism. The letter says all men over 65 are invited. He was 65 this week.

I didn't know they did this.

He is muttering away about doing enough hospital things just now but I am trying to convince him this is a good idea.

Anyone heard of this.?

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Haven't heard of this before
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »

Yep and I can't wait for DH to reach that age because his father had an aortic aneurism which was monitored by ultra-sound before surgical intervention - whcih was successful.  If it is left it can burst with usually fatal results.  If it's offered, go for it!  I believe it's a recent idea ......

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 04:02:23 PM »

Pretty sure he will go.....I can be very persuasive  ;D......ie ....nag

Sounds like a very good idea to me.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »

The outcome is usually sudden with the victim being unaware that an anurism is present ....... either in the abdomen or brain.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »

Honeyb - I had heard of aneurism/s (sp?) - like CLKD says they are usually sudden, often fatal.

Nag girl NAG -  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »

I had heard of it just not the screening programme. Don't think my BIL has had one and he is 73.
Must ask my sister

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »

Your B in L can ask.  This is newly instigated 'down' here so he may find he is entitled by asking, as are ladies over a certain age that want mammograms  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »

NHS web-site:

"Introduction

"An aneurysm is a bulge in a blood vessel caused by a weakness in the blood vessel wall, usually where it branches.
As blood passes through the weakened blood vessel, the blood pressure causes a small area to bulge outwards like a balloon.
Aneurysms can develop in any blood vessel anywhere in the body, but the two most common places for them to form are in the abdominal aorta (the artery that transports blood away from the heart to the rest of the body) and the brain.

"Introduction

An abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) is a swelling (aneurysm) of the aorta – the main blood vessel that leads away from the heart, down through the abdomen to the rest of the body.

"The abdominal aorta is the largest blood vessel in the body and is usually around 2cm wide – roughly the width of a garden hose. However, it can swell to over 5.5cm – what doctors class as a large AAA.  Large aneurysms are rare, but can be very serious. If a large aneurysm bursts, it causes huge internal bleeding and is usually fatal.

"The bulging occurs when the wall of the aorta weakens. Although what causes this weakness is unclear, smoking and high blood pressure are thought to increase the risk of an aneurysm.

"AAAs are most common in men aged over 65. A rupture accounts for more than 1 in 50 of all deaths in this group and a total of 6,000 deaths in England and Wales each year.  This is why all men are invited for a screening test when they turn 65. The test involves a simple ultrasound scan, which takes around 10-15 minutes.

"Symptoms of an AAA

"In most cases, an AAA causes no noticeable symptoms. However, if it becomes large, some people may develop a pain or a pulsating feeling in their abdomen (tummy) or persistent back pain.

"An AAA doesn't usually pose a serious threat to health, but there's a risk that a larger aneurysm could burst (rupture).  A ruptured aneurysm can cause massive internal bleeding, which is usually fatal. Around 8 out of 10 people with a rupture either die before they reach hospital or don't survive surgery.

"The most common symptom of a ruptured aortic aneurysm is sudden and severe pain in the abdomen.

"If you suspect that you or someone else has had a ruptured aneurysm, call 999 immediately and ask for an ambulance.
Read more about the symptoms of an AAA.

"Causes of an AAA
"It's not known exactly what causes the aortic wall to weaken, although increasing age and being male are known to be the biggest risk factors.  There are other risk factors you can do something about, including smoking and having high blood pressure and cholesterol level.

"Having a family history of aortic aneurysms also means that you have an increased risk of developing one yourself.

"Diagnosing an AAA

"Because AAAs usually cause no symptoms, they tend to be diagnosed either as a result of screening or during a routine examination – for example, if a GP notices a pulsating sensation in your abdomen.  The screening test is an ultrasound scan, which allows the size of your abdominal aorta to be measured on a monitor. This is also how an aneurysm will be diagnosed if your doctor suspects you have one.

"Treating an AAA
"If a large AAA is detected before it ruptures, most people will be advised to have treatment, to prevent it rupturing.  This is usually done with surgery to replace the weakened section of the blood vessel with a piece of synthetic tubing.

"If surgery is not advisable – or if you decide not to have it – there are a number of non-surgical treatments that can reduce the risk of an aneurysm rupturing. They include medications to lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, and quitting smoking.

"You will also have the size of your aneurysm checked regularly with ultrasound scanning."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:19:08 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »

A man over 65 can ask for screening by contacting his local dept..  I may suggest that, due to his Dad's history, that he has a chat with our GP sooner rather than later.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »

That's what the information booklet said.

I take it you will be nagging too.  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

I will be driving behind him to the Surgery with a stick  ;) .........

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »

My neighbour had an aortic aneurysm for many years. He knew he was a ticking time bomb & at end of August it burst.  Not a nice find for his daughter.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 05:38:13 PM »

:o ……….

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »

According to the leaflet that's what they are trying to avoid as it can be monitored and fixed.

Not spoken about it today but I will pick my time....carefully.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »

My neighbour was 84/85 when he passed so had had a fair innings despite his aneurysm. These things are best prevented & I think these tests will at least make folk aware of what their lifestyle is doing to them. Mind you my neighbour was very slim, always out & about walking etc also had  very low cholesterol,  but I guess when your number's up, it's up.
Pages: [1] 2