Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: menopause at 46?  (Read 3151 times)

klynnbagstaff

menopause at 46?
« on: January 07, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »

Hello. I am now 46 years old. It has been over a year since i have had a period. I have been on hrt just starting on 5 months now. My hot flushes were horrific. I would come home from work and peel my clothes off. My hair was soak and wet and i suffered from skin rashes from being too hot and wet all the time. I've had to take frozen veg out of the freezer and put them on the soles of my feet every night. I would lose sleep as i was so hot i couldn't sleep and mind you i was already takin citalipram for anxiety. This was supposed to help the hot flushes. I lost my ex drive within that first year. My poor husband was so supportive. I talk to him on a regular basis of what i am going through. Luckily he listens. I am annoyed about this as i feel I'm too young, but my gp says I'm on the cusp. I do like not having periods any longer. So i thought.

On the fifth month of taking hrt to my surprise i started my period. First one i have had in over a year. Boy did my body flip out. Three days of cramps with hardly anything coming out.

Hurdity

Re: menopause at 46?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »

Hi klynnbagstaff

:welcomemm:

How long after your last natural period did you start HRT and which HRT are you on?

If you had gone less than 12 months then you should have been given a cyclical ( sequi) HRT which would lead to a monthly bleed. If you had gone more than 12 months then you will have been given a no-bleed one. However for some women their cycles do resume more than 12 months since their last period. Also if you are on conti HRT this can lead to irregular spotting or bleeding even if you are post-menopausal, although this usually happens at the beginning.

If your periods restart or the bleeding happens irregularly then perhaps you would be better going onto a cyclical HRT so that the bleed is (theoretically) predictable. I would mention to the doc though if you are on continuous HRT and only just getting a bleed after 5 months (if you are on conti no-bleed HRT).

Hurdity x

klynnbagstaff

Re: menopause at 46?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »

Hi hurdity.thanks for your response. I stopped bleeding completely for thirteen months. I am taking femoston conti 1mg/5mg. After this cycle the gp wants to bring me down on my dose. I will definitely let her know that i had a period.

Do you think i should go in sooner? After this month i will have one more to go.

Thank you