Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting HRT at age 73??  (Read 20119 times)

SueRoe

Starting HRT at age 73??
« on: December 29, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »

Has anyone got any experience of themselves or someone they know starting HRT well after the menopause? My Mum is showing some of the symptoms that plague me (and has done for some time but I didn't recognise them as possibly hormonal) ie very dry and itchy skin that ordinary moisturisers can't deal with; poor sleep; joint pain; loss of self-confidence. I don't want to suggest she sees her GP without some sort of confidence in what I'm suggesting. Any comments ladies? Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: Starting HRT at age 73??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »

Hi Freda
I think it is not recommended anyone start HRT after the age of 60 as I believe there is an increased risk of dementia.
The symptoms you are describing are very typical as we grow older anyway. The problem is, it tends to be a viscous circle -  joint pain and poor sleep make them feel low so they tend to do less and less - the less they do the worse the pain and poor sleep gets - this will then lead to poor self confidence, low mood and probably depression.
Maybe some supplements like Omega 3 and Vitamin D would be a good idea. Gentle exercise like walking would probably help the joints but it could be worth talking to the GP about the joint pain. As for loss of self confidence, well I doubt hormones would help with this, your mum needs to find some interests to engage with that hopefully will bring friends and some social life. Perhaps help out in a local charity shop or learn something new - I know this can seem daunting but maybe you could both try something together to start with so she doesn't feel she is doing it on her own.
A healthy diet with some appropriate supplements, more physical exercise and some mental stimulus would then help with sleep.  We tend to need less sleep as we get older but my aunt, who got to 92, always had a little rest for 30-60 mins after lunch every day - then stayed up quite late and got up early. 
Your mum may be depressed, so it could be worth discussing this with the GP - some SSRIs may be helpful.
Making lifestyle changes at 73 is tough but if we want to live a longer healthier life HRT alone will not achieve this.  DG x

lancashirelass

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

She.may be.better seeing a private.gynae.or.meno clinic they will be.more.open to help her.  If.she hasnt.go.any health concerns eg.family cancer history or bp issues cant see why not for a short time. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »

Well I started HRT this year at age 60, but I had to seek advice from a private gynaecologist. Generally speaking, there is great reluctance to prescribe HRT for ladies after age 60, even when they have been using it effectively before, as they say the benefits start outweighing the risks. They are even more reluctant to prescribe to people like me who have had several years with very low hormonal levels after menopause, and then start replacing them. There is not a lot of research on how risky that may be. I was initially refused on these grounds by a gynaecologist. I would think the risk is even greater by age 73. But it doesn't stop you exploring the subject. Maybe an email consultation with Dr Currie? If your mum has only recently ( not years) started experiencing these symptoms, then it might not be her hormones that are the cause. I would have thought a trip to the doctor would be beneficial anyway. There could be other causes to the symptoms you describe. Would your mum feel more confident if you came into the appointment with her?

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »

The interaction between HRT and Dementia is more complex, with some studies showing a reduction

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=1985

Supplement including the omega oils, vitamin C and multi vitamins and minerals will improve collagen production.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/eat-your-way-fabulous-skin

For poor sleep melatonin which is a hormone and a powerful antioxidant is not just for sleep. it helps maintain the integrity of the skin and hair amongst other benefits.

http://positivemed.com/2013/05/08/melatonin-benefits-for-skin/

I think your mum needs a many pronged approach to her problems, an appointment with her doctor would be a starting point.

Maybe local hormone treatment such as estriol maybe considered.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »

My mum started Vagifem at 87. It has helped a bit in that department. I really don't think any GP will prescribe at that age.

How many years ago did your mum go through meno?.

To be honest I don't think this is hormone related but everything to do with the natural ageing process. As someone with a much older mum I really recognise the symptoms of ageing.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:57:05 PM »

Is she open about her symptoms with you?  Maybe ask if she would like you to talk to her GP/Practice Nurse and see if she requires an appt., sometimes they don't 'want to be a nuisance'  ::)

Lynne888

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »

I know someone who was put on it in their 70's. A friend of mine was married to a doctor and she told me about it.  I don't think it's common but it's not unheard of. You says "showing symptoms well after menopause".  Once we are through peri meno, we are always in menopause.

CLKD has the right idea.. I would try and speak to her GP with her. if she is OK about it.

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »

My lovely Doctor told me that she has patients in their 70s and 80s who are on hormones and doing very well, though of cause I don't know what

type or regime or when they started hormone therapy.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »

There isn't much information about the risks and benefits of starting HRT this late.

The main possible risks with starting HRT a long time after menopause are cardio-vascular disease and stroke.

The recent paper published for World Menopause Day - on prevention of diseases after menopause reviewed a lot of the information on risk (my bold):

"Over the last decade, cumulated data from RCTs of MHT clearly demonstrate two distinct populations
of women who respond differentially to MHT according to timing of MHT initiation relative to age and time since menopause 62,63 . Specifically, CHD events and all-cause mortality benefits occur when MHT is initiated in younger women (< 60 years old) in close proximity to menopause (< 10 years since menopause) and a null and possible adverse effect occurs when initiated in older women (≥ 60 years old) remote from menopause (> 20 years since menopause) 62,63. These data have been reviewed
extensively and conclusions from previous data have been confirmed by the latest compendium of
MHT trial data from the WHI for all-cause mortality and CHD in women treated with unopposed estrogen 5. The cumulative data conclusively show that, when initiated in women who are < 60 years
of age and/or within 10 years of menopause, MHT statistically significantly reduces CHD and total
mortality 62,63. These results have been validated in the Danish Osteoporosis Prevention Study (DOPS)
conducted in women who were on average 7 months since menopause when randomized
to MHT of long duration, 10 years of randomized therapy and 16 years of total follow-up 72. The  cumulative MHT randomized trial data initiated in younger women contrast to lipid-lowering and aspirin therapy in the primary prevention of CHD and, most importantly, in the reduction of all-cause mortality in women under primary prevention conditions (Table 1). "

"Conversely, in women on average 64 years of age, MHT non-significantly increases ischemic stroke and reduces hemorrhagic stroke (18% for CEE + MPA and 36% for CEE) in relation to placebo. All of these foregoing events are rare, 5–11 events per 10000 women per year of MHT. Importantly, the risk of stroke is statistically non-significant and rare in women who initiate MHT when < 60 years of age. "

The review paper from 2013 by the British Menopause Society and Women's Health Concern summarised the latest findings and recommendations and had this to say:

Long term effects of HRT
Cardiovascular
" Early cohort studies suggested that HRT was associated with a significant reduction in the incidence of heart disease, whether estrogen was prescribed alone or combined with progestogen.

In the WHI randomised controlled trial, women using conjugated equine estrogens (CEE) 0.625 mg alone or with medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) 2.5 mg had a small increase in incidence of coronary heart disease in the first 12 months.

‘Early harm' can occur when therapy is commenced in women over 60 with relative overdoses of oral estrogen.

When prescribing HRT for the first time in women over the age of 60, the lowest effective dose should be used."

Stroke

"Observational studies on the use of HRT and stroke have yielded conflicting results.

The WHI study revealed an overall increased incidence of stoke in women using estrogen and progestogen therapy or estrogen alone.

Re-analysis of the combined data from the estrogen and progesterone study and that of the estrogen alone study revealed a smaller increase in incidence of stroke in women who commenced HRT between the ages of 50 and 59.

The HERS study (the Heart and Estrogen progestogen Replacement Study) found no increased incidence of stroke with HRT.

On current evidence, HRT cannot be recommended for the primary or secondary prevention of stroke.

Caution should be exercised when prescribing HRT in women over the age of 60 particularly when they have a risk factor for stroke or thromboembolism. In these groups, current evidence would suggest that the transdermal route may be advantageous.

The effects of HRT may be dose related and the lowest effective dose should be prescribed in women with significant risk factors. "

I would doubt that her GP would refer her to an (NHS) menopause clinic on the basis of these symptoms alone but obviosuly a private consultant might well suggest a low dose transdermal oestrogen if s/he thought this would help.

Vaginal oestrogen can be used at any age from what I understand. I agree with the others that different measures should be able to help with her other complaints if she doesn't want to go down the menopause/hormonal route, and especially increasing regular physical exercise.

Hurdity x

SueRoe

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »

Many thanks ladies - what a kind bunch you are - much useful information and opinion. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »

Have a chat with your Mum and see how amiable she is to visiting the Practice Nurse or GP? or maybe the Pharmacist could tell you the age ranges of prescriptions that he dispenses?

marras

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »

Hi, I'm 64 and been on HRT for two months and feel sooooo much better. Went to a private Gynae who will be keeping a close eye on me. Didn't have a choice as had no quality of life for 12 years and couldn't stand the symptoms any longer. I wish you and your mum the very best. ;)

Morwenna

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 12:54:58 PM »

Way to go Marras - glad you're feeling so much better  :great:

SueRoe

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »

Stellajane, sorry to pry but does the oestrogel cause a bleed? and do you have to have progesterone with it if you've still got a uterus? I know that a topical product rather than a tablet/patch would definitely suit my Mum better. Thanks - and a Happy New Year.
Pages: [1] 2