Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anxious about creepy crawlies  (Read 2493 times)

SueRoe

Anxious about creepy crawlies
« on: December 23, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »

I haven't been abroad on holiday for several years because I'm horrified at the possibility of bringing creepy crawlies back with me and infesting the house. We had a bird's nest which was infested with fleas under the eaves a few years ago (twice actually!) and they got into the house. We had to get pest control in to spray everywhere - awful! I've since read about bed bugs in hotels and am horrified at the thought of picking them up and bringing them home as I understand they can be a bugger to get rid of. I know this is all very silly but I can't help it as the menopause has boosted my natural anxiety to ridiculous levels! Has anyone had experience of bed bugs? Are they as difficult to get rid of as I've read?

tiger74

Re: Anxious about creepy crawlies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:16:51 PM »

I've stayed in some very dodgy places in a varied selection of countries/climates and never encountered bed bugs. 

Where have you been reading about bed bugs?   

Hope you manage to book somewhere exotic - there's a whole world out there waiting to be explored.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »

Just go and enjoy. Some of my daughter's friends have backpacked around the world and come to stay with us before they went home. Apart from being a bit smelly they were absolutely bug free.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:37:23 PM »

This was in the News several years ago ……… if you are worried take your own bottom sheet and pillow cases/protectors.  There are good bug sprays on the market too for furniture as well as for personal use.

Where did you think you would like to go?

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:55:26 PM »

I've been to Caribbean on several occasions. Not brought one bug back yet. Sprays readily available to combat mosies etc before you go or even when abroad. You can even buy ant traps to take with you. I've done that in the past.

This year,hotel in St Lucia, even sprayed their entire complex 3 times per week.

If you go to a good standard of property, you should be absolutely fine!

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »

When the unusual and exceptional happen to you, it is difficult to be rational about things. Just be kind to yourself and that it is ok feel as you do. In fact your feelings are normal, if frustrating. If you really want to change things, why don't you investigate profession help from reputable practitioners who use hypnotherapy and NLP techniques. I have been helped successfully for other problems.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »

Worrying about stuff can really take over.  How are you in Zoos - sometimes I can go into the reptile/insect house, others I can't  ::)

I remember my friend hitting a spider in her lounge - she stood in the doorway and threw a wellie  ;D - she didn't go back into the lounge until I visited the following week and yep, spider was very dead under the wellie  ::)

SueRoe

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 05:11:19 PM »

Thanks ladies. Yes, there's a whole world out there! Where would I start?? Corsica possibly... Anxiety is a sod isn't it? I do hope that a bit more perspective will creep back in once this menopause stuff has passed.