Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie and totally unprepared!  (Read 4620 times)

Tayls21

Newbie and totally unprepared!
« on: December 23, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »

Hi

So pleased to have come across this forum whilst googling symptoms on the net.

I'm 45 and over the last few months, my periods have been getting closer together - average 21 days (normally 28) and some one or two this year at 17 days.

However, this month, I started bleeding a dark brown discharge on day 15 of my cycle.  There have been a few dark small clots but not a heavy flow, but I do need to wear a liner.  I keep thinking that my period is going to start as I'm having lower back pain and mild abdominal craps, but nothing has happened.  This bleeding has now been going on 3 weeks and no sign of stopping.

I went to the doctors last week and she did a quick internal, checked my cervix which she said looked fine.  I had bloods done today and she referred me for a scan.

I'm just a terrible worrier.  Is this something that happens at the beginning of menopause?  Is it possibly hormonal?

I just wondered if this is something that anyone else has experienced.

Thanks so much taking the time to read this :)

Dancinggirl

Re: Newbie and totally unprepared!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Tayls21
It all sounds very typical for peri menopause.  It's good to get things checked though for peace of mind.  Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen - the more clued up you are the better.
Let us know how you get on with the blood tests and scan - we're where to support and help if we can.
Dg x

Tayls21

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »

Thank you DG. I'll definitely read up. A few of my friends are going through perimenopause but no one has had this prolonged bleed. Really appreciate your reply x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »

Hi there. Many of us were unprepared for this time of our lives. I knew it happened, but hadn't a clue about all the symptoms. Thank goodness for this forum!

Tayls21

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »

So true Cubagirl! I expected flushes to be the first sign of perimenopause and yet they've not happened yet. This constant bleeding makes me feel yuck plus an aching lower back! Feel like I've turned into an old lady overnight!  ;)

This forum is a mine of information! I can see lots of bedtime reading ahead!

mandy43

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »

I had terrible low back pain for weeks on end at one point and I was sure I had something horrible wrong with me.  doc sent me for a vaginal ultrasound and all was normal... I could not believe it!  I also had bleeding that went on for 3 weeks.  sounds completely normal to me, but when you have the checks done, it will put your mind to rest xx

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 04:28:35 PM »

This time last year I had a period that lasted 7 weeks.  Following that my periods changed from every 28 days to 21 - 24 days and they have just recently changed to every 26 days.  I would say it can be normal for peri.

Tayls21

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »

Well after three weeks of brown discharge, for the last two days I've been getting more 'period' type blood and quite large clots along with stomach and back cramps. It seems the flow is just not normal which I guess is why it's so painful. I'm just hoping that this is an attempt at my period and the bleeding will eventually stop. Just hope I don't have to wait too long for the scan. Just to put my mind at rest. Thanks you for your comments x

Petra

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »

I lost track of the weirdness of my periods...long, short, gacky, brown, incredibly heavy.  ::) But I do have a pretty embarrassing and related confession about something else I lost track of. Uh, a tampon. OK, not "lost" but "forgot". This had never happened to me in decades of periods, but it was this on-again-off-again pre-menopausal  cr*p that did it. (Plus, maybe, my scrambled brain?) So, well, if you use tampons and are having these free jazz periods, do keep better track than I did. In case you're wondering (cue eeeeww factor)...it was a couple of weeks. I know, I know "How...?" String wasn't there...blah blah blah. And I get embarrassed just thinking about it.

Tayls21

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »

Haha Petra. It did cross my mind but the GP did an internal so I know it's all clear there! Easily done though. Between the lack of regularly and I too have the scrambled brain!  Oh the joys!!  ;D

caz24

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »

Hi Tayls21

Just to reassure you that I have had 'weird' bleeding,  brown discharge, spotting, irregular, really heavy with cramps, you name it I've had it (and still in the middle of not knowing what I'm going to get next and when).
I've had a really good GP and she sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound scan which showed a cyst on my ovary, subsequent scans have shown this is getting smaller which suggests it's all down to hormones. I was also referred to a gynae consultant who was lovely and I had an endometrial biopsy (not very pleasant but was done very quickly thank goodness) and this hasn't shown anything to be concerned about. I'm keeping a diary of my bleeding and next see my consultant in 3 months. So to cut a long story short it's all normal for this time in our lives and it's really good that we have the tests done to be on the safe side. I know that it's a worrying time, especially when this is all completely different for you but please try not to worry too much. I'm sure that everything will be fine. x

Tayls21

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »

Thanks for that Carol. I ended up having a period after the 3 weeks of  brown discharge and now that has finished, everything seems to have gone back to normal with no signs of anything. I'm waiting on a trans vaginal scan but do feel much better now it's stopped. Fingers crossed everything is just hormonal!

Happy New Year to everyone :)

klynnbagstaff

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:29:50 PM »

Tayls21, hello. Had had the same thing. My gp said it was normal. This happened to me when i was 44 and. I would bleed for three to four weeks a year then no period for the rest of the year. July 2013 was my last one. July of 2014 i started hrt as i had not had a period for a year.

I just joined this forum and am glad i found it as i feel more normal now.