Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Re: Hello! New to the site and would appreciate help/reassurance re symptoms.  (Read 2346 times)

janine scott

Hi everyone am a new member Janine.

Thank god I've found this site.  I've felt so alone  I am 45 haven't had a period in over a year.  I started this nightmare feeling like everything I ate was getting stuck indegestion leading to panic and ending up in hospital with my symptoms.  This happened overnight,  I had a heart test chest xray everything was fine I was frustrated was it all in my head but felt real-  couldn't eat without awful feelings went to docs put on antidepressants couldn't sleep racing hear what is wrong.  Couldn't GI out to anxious panics at work all day no food can't drink.  Back to docs can't breathe properly either,  eventually doc checks estrogenlevel very low in perimenopause take thyroxine those levels checked and were wrong too felt so kow don't know who u am anymore trying hrt patches reluctantly but been told osteoarthritis if I don't look after my bines am worrying about taking it though.  Been three months of awful symptoms not long on patches been told to give it three months am also taking multivitamins can't drink tea or coffee or alcohol trying to find new things to eat all the time used to love a curry can't now.
Does anyone have these awful feelings of deed all the time no matter how much I try not to think about awful things happening I can't help it

I have to take one day at a time am wishing it gets better does it thanks for this site xx

Hurdity

Re: Hello! New to the site and would appreciate help/reassurance re symptoms.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »

Hi janine scott

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about all your symptoms!

I am very surprised your doctor put you on anti-depressants when you hadn't had a period for over a year and all those symptoms especially at the age of 45! These are not recommended as first line of treatment for menopause if there is no history of depression and if there is no medical reason why you cannot take HRT.

So glad you are now on patches and your doc is right that you do need to protect your heart and bones as your menopause is earlier than average ( now 51-52 years). What type are you on? Hpefully you might be able to wean off the ADs if the HRT is right and you symptoms settle with the hormones you are taking (including thyroxine). I presume you have been put on a no-bleed type due to the absence of periods for over 12 months? There are several women on here who take both HRT and thyroxine and will be able to help if you have any problems.

Hopefully you will eventually be able to enjoy a little tea coffee and alcohol when your body settles into the hormone regime.

Your phone (or tablet) seems to be making up interesting words  :-\ but I get the drift!!

Yes that's right one day at a time - and don't forget if this particular HRT doesn't suit you, it's possible to try others that will suit you better. We are here to help and will try to answer any questions you have.

I hope you feel better soon!  :)

Hurdity x

janine scott

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »

Hi am on everol low dose I've come off anti depressants now just trying multivitamins and get I've only been on the patches a few days I just need to give them time just worried about them.

I don't have periods at all.

Thank you I need all the support u can get sorry about the strange words typing too fastxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »

I presume you mean Evorel conti? (There is only one dose of continuous combined Evorel patch for post-menopause which is 50 mcg oestrogen). Hopefully this will make you feel better soon.... try not to worry and concentrate on the fact that you using them to help you feel better  :)

Hurdity x

janine scott

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »

Hi yes that is the one fingers crossed thank you for your help xx

samweller161

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »

Janine and everybody

It seems that the docs prescribe anti-depressants as standard these days either as well as or instead of HRT.  A friend of mine has migraines so cannot take HRT so her doc immediatley offered her Fluoxetine which she has been on for the last few years.  Am not sure how common this is in other counties?  What I wonder is how did our grandmothers manage as nothing was around them to help them!  I really enjoy reading everybodys comments and realisng that I am not alone in all this

:D

janine scott

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »

Hi i second that fish it feel like a weight lifted to know actually am not going mad it isn't just me thanks xx

SallyG

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »

I totally get where you are! I have been through very similar things over the last few months and years and I now accept it is the menopause mainly that is the cause. Keep on at your doctor if the meds don't suit you. I am on citiliparan  and HRT - and am feeling a lot better. There is hope and treatment out there.

SallyG

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »

What a shame your friend was told she could not have HRT if she has migraine.

This is what it says on this site:

Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossM

I agree that some doctors are too free with the ADs for hormonally induced symptoms. I expect our grandmothers just put up with it or at the other extreme were put into a madhouse as I understand....thank goodness for HRT!

Hurdity x

janine scott

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »

Thanks everyone I believe that you will all make this awful menopause journey a lot easier for me now I know am not alone xx