Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gadgets and Gizmos  (Read 8499 times)

babyjane

Gadgets and Gizmos
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »

What gadgets do you have in your kitchen (or anywhere in the house).

What white elephants do you have in the back of your cupboard?

What labour saving device would you like to have?

I do like my slow cooker and my food processor but I never use the juicer as it is much too fiddly. It's quicker to just squeeze an orange. I do like the blender though  :)

I used to have an electric can opener but that again was fiddly and when it jammed you risked your fingers unjamming it.

I have, at times, looked at breadmakers and ice cream makers but I really don't need one and can't afford things I don't need. 

I guess I don't have a lot of gadgets really, what about you?

honeybun

Re: Gadgets and Gizmos
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »

I have had and binned a lot over the years.

Residing in the cupboard and garage are a popcorn maker, a breadmaker, a potato ricer, a mandolin (dangerous thing that removed a slice out of my knuckle and then another slice from a finger) , a pressure cooker and a slow cooker.  ;D

I trained as a chef many moons ago and like gadgets. My hubby says if they are potentially dangerous I want them ....ie...the mandolin.

My favourite things in the kitchen is my knife set and my food processor. Now them I use and manage not to injure myself.
I have to admit to being a bit accident prone and have the scars to prove it....really not kidding...actual scars that won't go away.
I have to restrain myself from buying stuff that I just won't use.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:14:05 PM »

;D  ……… great thread!

We had a 1970s toast maker which was such a b…er to clean it went into the box under the stairs  ::)
A coffee percolator again from the 1970s which never kept coffee hot
Various coffee makers 1 which Himself still uses
A coffee grinder which we sold at auction last year
Various Pyrex dishes 'at the back' as we tend to use those we can see  ::)
Ice cream makers are OK but like the toast maker there's lots to clean

However - in our bathroom cabinet I have shampoo etc. ……. that rarely sees the light of day  :-X

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »

I've ditched a few over the years. Kept the slow cooker, though it hardly sees the light of day. I had a vegetable steamer, what a waste of money that was! Veggies tasted awful. My food processor was useless & a pain to clean. I still have my liquidisers & my hand held mixer.
Pyrex have all smashed over the years, but got some new ceramic ones last year.
I struggle to chop veggies these days & have asked our two to get me an electric veggie chopper for Christmas. My hand & wrist give up the ghost when chopping veg for soup & I love my soup.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »

I have an excellent vegetable chopper, easy to use and self cleaning. It is called my husband  ;D

I have weak wrists and poor grip so he gets hauled out to peel and chop.  :)

honeybun I thought a mandolin was a musical instrument  ???

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »

It's a beast of a thing BJ and does have a finger guard which I didn't use so serves me right really.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

BJ  ;D

I wouldn't even bother to ask himself to do that, he'd drive me insane. A case of, if you want a job done right, do it yourself!  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »

oh dear, mine is really quite good in the kitchen when he has to be but doesn't enjoy it so will only do it when asked, he doesn't offer.

There isn't really a right and wrong way to chop veg though, is there?  ???

bramble

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »

I bought a Nespresso coffee machine last year and an electric milk heater - use both almost every day. Use my breadmaker occasionally and my food processor quite a lot. Apart from them, no more gadgets - don't have the room. Am thinking of getting rid of my toaster as I use it very rarely. Oh, and got a sandwich maker which I use every so often as well. And one of these plastic eggs to tell you when your boiled egg is ready.

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »

No right or wrong way BJ, he'd just huff & puff, then constantly ask if he's doing it right. He just doesn't do kitchen!  ;D Microwave isn't a problem!

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »

We may have gadgets lurking in our kitchen cupboards gathering dust but if my hubby is anything to go by men are much the same. I have to admit hubby does use his when needed but he has a huge array of electric stuff in the garage.

He has electric drills, not one but two, electric screw drivers, a jig saw, more screwdrivers and hammers than you could shake a stick at. Oh and boxes and boxes of nails and screws and bolts. You name it he has got it  ;D

So we are not alone ladies  ;)

Honeyb
x

Dyan

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »

I have an electric egg boiler. I love it and use it loads.
My first one I got from Germany because they weren't over here but after using it for years I wore it out I think.
I now have a lakeland one that cooks up to 6 eggs at a time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »

:beaurk:  you don't eat 6 eggs at a time surely  :-X

I have an iron - somewhere  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »

If all our family is here with us I can easily use 6 eggs at a time and they knock together in the saucepan and sometimes crack   ::)

bramble

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »

I have to admit hubby does use his when needed but he has a huge array of electric stuff in the garage.

He has electric drills, not one but two, electric screw drivers, a jig saw, more screwdrivers and hammers than you could shake a stick at. Oh and boxes and boxes of nails and screws and bolts. You name it he has got it  ;D

So we are not alone ladies  ;)

I have a huge array of tools in the garage as well. Probably more stuff than I have in the kitchen!
Pages: [1] 2