Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Restless legs  (Read 3808 times)

SueRoe

Restless legs
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »

I know that this can drive people, me included, nuts so here are the things that I've found that have helped me after a year of sleepless nights...
Every day get at least 30 minutes of daylight, outside, in the morning to reset your body clock, and in the afternoon.
Eat a banana daily.
I also find that when I'm on the progesterone (Utrogestan) phase of my HRT I sleep much better.
Contrary to every bit of advice I've ever read, I find that if the wriggles do kick in (no pun intended!) an espresso does the trick.
I've also read that Gingko biloba is good for people with poor circulation, and as this might be a contributory factor in RLS then it might be worth a try if it's safe for you- it seems to be helping me.
Good luck.

nelliedee

Re: Restless legs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:06:19 AM »

Very interesting Freda, thankfully I do not suffer with this but hope it helps others
xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »

:thankyou:  ……. I suffered for years, from age about 9.  By chance I found that bananas eased symptoms for me, within 24 hours.  So for over 15 years I ate 1/2/3 bananas daily either straight from the skin or mashed with cream and brown sugar  ;)  - lack of potassium can cause restless leg syndrome as can some medications.

Neurofen helps these nights if I can't get to sleep as they are twitching.  I am aware of the sensation all day but it's only when I get into bed at night that it starts, I can sleep in the afternoon without problems.

SueRoe

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »

Me too CLKD - sleeping while it's light isn't a problem. I have a theory that it's to do with the link between serotonin (made in daylight) melatonin (made in the dark from, I think, serotonin) and dopamine (possibly responsible for RLS in many people, and has a link with melatonin levels ie we get the wriggles in low light/the dark). I find that exposure to bright light can settle the wriggles if they start up during the night. Even staring at my phone with the brightness turned up to full can help, and this avoids waking up the whole house by putting the lights on. We are complicated creatures we humans! Hope some of this helps someone!

mazzy

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

I have suffered with restless legs for years and would do anything to stop it.  I have hear a lot about Bananas helping but just cant eat a fresh one. Would Dried Banana chips do the same thing ?  I could eat them.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »

Give them a try Mazzy and let us know!  It's potassium that is lacking which causes my problems.

"Good sources of potassium include: potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, tomato sauce (without added salt or sugar), orange juice, tuna (fresh, frozen or tinned, but avoid tuna packed in brine), yoghurt and fat-free milk.

"If you have kidney disease, or are taking certain blood pressure medications, a large increase in potassium could be harmful. In this case, avoid taking potassium supplements and check with your doctor before dramatically increasing your potassium intake.

From Blood Pressure UK"

I eat a varied diet. DH cooks with lots of tomatoes, ginger, garlic - the base for most of our evening meals.  I don't like tomatoes per se.  Haven't eaten as many bananas in recent months.  Don't like fish much  :-\ ……  ::) …… nor oranges ……… and can never see the point of 'fat free' milk !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:39:25 PM by CLKD »

mazzy

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »

Thanks CLKD.  I am on Blood Pressure tablets so will ask my GP.  As I am on a diet, already eat quite healthy (lots of fruit & veg, Tuna, Chicken etc). Have lost a stone over 6 months and I thought that it may help my restless legs .but nothing seems to help.

I dread winter because I find if my legs get too warm they are worse, especially after wearing tights, leggings or trousers and most night have to hang my legs out of bed.

Will give Banana chips a go.

SueRoe

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »

mazzy, as you are desperate, why not try what works for me - settle for sleep with the main overhead light on. You might have trouble getting to sleep but if your RLS doesn't start you'll know that for you there's a link. If your RLS starts you can switch it off and you've lost nothing. Also, are getting outside during the day to get a dose of daylight, ideally for at least 30 minutes? Again what have you got to lose by trying it? Probably best if you don't try the espresso as you have probs with your BP! Don't know about banana chips but I don't see that the drying process would drive out the potassium.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »

I either hang my legs over the edge of the bed or lay with them up the wall  ::).  I did have 2 double blankets under my side of the mattress to keep my legs elevated, until I found that bananas cured the problem.

mazzy

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

Freda, will give it a try.  Get plenty of daylight as I walk quite a bit.