Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dealing with anxiety  (Read 15648 times)

bramble

Dealing with anxiety
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »

For me, the worst thing about the menopause has been the crippling anxiety. I have been suffering from it for years (about 7-8 I think). For the past few years it has been kept in check but my world has grown so much smaller. I very rarely go out, do no exercise. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason behind what does or does not cause the anxiety to overwhelm me. Some things I sail through without a thought, other things (like meeting my sister for lunch) can leave me paralysed with fear. Even though I have done it loads of times before. I live on my own, neither do I have family and when the anxiety gets really bad, there is no outside distraction to help me or to gain confidence from. I tend to curl up and become overwhelmed.

It is only recently that I have realised how small my world has grown - and this is at a time when I should be broadening my horizons and getting out there to enjoy life - I have the time, the money but also the fear.

I have just read a book by Paul David 'At last a life'. He advocates doing things despite how you feel and to accept the feelings of anxiety but not try to control them - in fact, to stop fighting to get better. Similar to the Claire Weekes books which I read years ago.

So, to cut a long story short - this is the beginning. I aim to go out more even if it is just a short walk to the local café for a coffee, to do more - I have just joined a gym and intend to do 2 classes a week, to do these things regularly despite how I feel. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions but I hope to prove that wrong! I know it is going to be hard but I must get a life.
Wish me luck!
Bramble

karin

Re: Dealing with anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »

They also say that every journey begins with a single  step, I hope you made a short journey out today and are planning again tomorrow. Time passes so quickly and its a wonderful world really, go for it and keep us updated😃

Suzyq

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »

Well done bramble!

I was in a similar situation to you - felt like I was on the verge of being agoraphobic - started after some spells of intense vertigo where I couldn't move!  Like you I made myself do things every day, no matter how I felt! I did this with the help of cbt, self-help books and ativan for when I couldn't cope!! In reality, I never took more than 1 ativan every 2 to 4 weeks, but just having it there, as a back-up really helped.

I do deep breathing and relaxation with the help of a self-hypnosis download given to me by a hypnotist I saw!

Now I can go anywhere, anytime with barely a wobble (did have a little one a couple of weeks ago when we were going on a very long road trip - but I survived and was fine as soon as we set off!)

Sorry - long post but just wanted to show you that you CAN do it - everybody feels anxiety, but we have a choice about how we are going to react to these feelings .... That helped me! Also knowing that if I could be brave enough, I would conquer this forever!! GOOD LUCK xxx

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »

Well done, I wish I was as brave as you.  My world seems to be getting smaller too.

Suzyq

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »

Small steps toffee cushion! My initial goal was basically just getting to the end of the street on my own (literally 200 yards). Therapist told me if you do something 3 times, you will no longer be scared by it - I didn't believe but it works for me.

The gym and exercise also helped massively - gets rid of all that adrenaline so if you have to, run to the end of the street then back!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:34:04 PM by Suzyq »

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 07:49:51 PM »

I wish you more luck than I could ever say.

YOU CAN DO IT.

It may be hard but the more you take little steps the easier it becomes.
I am still taking little steps and some things are becoming easier. I have done shopping malls twice recently with some success.

Hell....if I can anyone can.

Let us know how you get on. We are all with you and supporting you.

Honeyb
x

Milamam

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »

Hi Bramble,
Ive also read Paul David's book and found it extremely helpful. I do often re-read some sections of it for reassurance. The advices he gives are true and tried and they work. The "so what" attitude he describes is really what I am trying to adopt when I sense panic or anxiety.

Well done and keep going. And remember, baby steps and congratulate yoursel for every accomplishment!

Milamam xx

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »

Hi Bramble - when I read the first part of your post I felt very sad for you but when I got the end I thought - wow! That's amazing!! Well done and do hope that these little things make you feel better and more positive about life - as you say - it's all out there waiting to be explored and (re-)discovered! Good luck!  :)

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »

Hello Bramble.

Good luck with your plans, I hope they work and be sure to keep us posted.

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

However- what these authors forget is how physical anxiety is. I can cope until my gut churns then it's back to bed for me  :'( ………. it doesn't matter that nothing bad happened previously ….. that was then and the anxiety is now.

I can shop alone or with DH because I don't have to justify myself to anyone.  When shopping I buy what is essential on the list, then I can browse until I need to get out of the situation; sometimes I can browse for hours …….. those days are 9/10!

Let us know how you get on.  Currently my 'little steps' advice ain't working for me  :sigh: unless I do something spontaneously.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »

:bighug:  CLKD

Taz x

TropicalVon69

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »

Well done for your courage Bramble.....I am following the same path as you and things are getting easier.....take care of yourself and courage moving forward XXX

bramble

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »

I have just bought a pedometer to keep a track of how well I am doing (or not!). Each day I try to do something ie exercise, that will help my anxiety. But I am finding even the thought of going for a short walk ramps my anxiety up. And this is supposed to help? And this is from someone who not so long ago went hill walking once a week! Talk about a rock and a hard place. And I am only talking about a 10-20 minute walk! Oh well, onwards and upwards. Hopefully I will get used to it soon and it won't seem quite as challenging!
Pilates classes are going quite well. I am hoping to go to a Mind and Body one this week which is a cross between yoga and Pilates. That will give me my 2 classes a week. Has anyone tried Aqua Fit?
Bramble

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »

well done on your resolve Bramble, I wish you well with every step (physically and mentally).

To be honest I find a walk so much easier if I have the dog too, as a distraction and someone to talk to.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 03:32:44 PM »

:thankyou:  Taz

Bramble - make sure you are well hydrated and have eaten within an hour of planning a walk.  Being hungry can cause anxiety surges ……. go a few yards, stand and look at the view? then turn back before the anxiety takes hold.  If possible do it several times a day.  If you find yourself turning back sooner rather than later, that's fine.  Don't beat yourself up!

Aqua Fit would be OK if I could skinny dip  ;) ……. again not for me because I would be restricted by time and having to meet others …….. if I go out alone I am much better.  I went to a large mall this morning, managed coffee/cake with background anxiety but knew I wasn't there for long.  Years ago I couldn't even consider such a trip …….

Have you tried Betablockas? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4